Trying to make barebones puppy with wireless

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Dave K

Trying to make barebones puppy with wireless

#1 Post by Dave K »

Hey
I would like to make a very small, compact version of puppy that contains only the bash and enough modules to load up my wireless card. Basically i want to make a wifi repeater, which to my understanding should only require "iwconfig". I tried using puppy unleashed to make a tiny live cd. Mine turned out to be about 2.5 MB( which is wat i want, very small OS tat provides very limited functionality) however..when i tried to boot up from it i got a kernel error ( sorry, cant remember the specifics). Any suggestions on the minimal packages that are required for a puppy CD? My guess is that i missed an important one.
Thanks ... Dave

#2 Post by Guest »

I think to do what you want to do you need more than iwconfig.
http://locustworld.com/modules.php?op=m ... version_06

Maybe this might be the go

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

I presume you want command line.

For a quick and dirty cutdown Puppy, just repack usr_cram.fs with only the files you need. You can get rid of all the X stuff. In your case, you might not even need usr_cram at all. 40Mb gone with no effort, and it should still boot.

Of course, this is also the single dumbest and most dangerous way to remaster. Emergency use only.

Dave K

#4 Post by Dave K »

Thanks for the suggestions. I got curious and completely removed usr_cram.fs and it does exactly what I wanted, however, the boot sequence stops several times informing me that it cant find usr_crams... is there any way i can remove these prompts? for a smooth boot into command line? Also, if i want to add the module for my wireless card ( acx100 i think) where do i put that on the cd?... I assume it has to go somewhere in the filesystem image...
thanks