Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
adding a spelling checker to Sylpheed in Puppy 4.0
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
JustGreg

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 16:35    Post_subject:  adding a spelling checker to Sylpheed in Puppy 4.0  

Sylpheed has no native spelling checker. It should be possible to use the GNU program aspell. I have searched the forum and found information on aspell with Opera and aspell with Claws, but nothing on it and Sylpheed. Thank you in advance for any help.
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 17:05    Post_subject:  

I would be happy just to get Sylpheed to work.

I haven't managed to get it to work under puppy 4.0. It will not connect to my mail server.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 17:41    Post_subject:  

Neither could I. So I went back to Thunderbird which has built-in spell checking and always works. For some reason, people like to use the B-word with Thunderbird, but I would rather sacrifice a few MB of hard drive space for something usable.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 18:17    Post_subject: Sylpheed and aspell hack  

@JustGreg,

There are versions of Sylpheed with built-in spell checking, but the ones making it into Puppy packages generally don't have it. I can't comment on Sypheed under 4.0 because I'm not running that, but I have long used it under 3.01 with a hack that gives me simple spell checking, if not the best interface. I have defined the external editor, (common preferences->details->external commands) as follows:
Code:
rxvt -e aspell -e -c %s
This tells it to run aspell in a terminal with email rules and interactive correction on the file passed to the command. Most of the time the correction I want is in the first 3 alternatives it presents.

I keep thinking I'll get around to installing gtkspell and keep forgetting, because this is just good enough for the present.
JustGreg

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 19:22    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Thank you, I got it working

Thanks, prehistoric for the information. I did get it working. To make it complete, one has to install aspell-0.60.5.pet (program) and aspell-en-6.0.pet (english dictionary), first.. Both are located in puppy 3 pet (ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-3) section ibiblio.org.

In Sylpheed, one opens the Configuration menu, selects "Common Preferences", clicks on the detail tab and then for the external editor, one enters rxvt -e aspell -c %s.

To check the spelling, in the compose window, one clicks on the external editor button. This starts aspell in rxvt terminal window. You make the corrections in rxvt. When it ends, Sylpheed has the message in the Compose window with the correct spelling.

This replaces the external editor function with the spelling checking, aspell.

I had no problems with setting up Sylpheed. I initially could not connect to my server. I traced the problem to a misspelling of SMTP as STMP in the server entry! You see why I need a spelling checker. I would check the account settings. I was also able to import my Seamonkey mail folders directly. I had to export the Seamonkey address book as a LDIF file, then I could import it into Sylpheed. It took about a half hour.

I hope this helps.

Wolf Pup

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun 2008, 19:56    Post_subject:  

You could try this and see if it works, (includes aspell, aspell-en. and gtkspell.)

spellchecker_addon.pet
md5sum

installing that gives opera spell checking ablility, also pidgin too.

Visit The Repository - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.
Fossil

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 05:23    Post_subject:  

This may not be relevant to Puppy 4. I'm using Sylpheed 2.3.1 with Puppy 2.17. The email program has a corresponding spell checker - Sylpheed-2.3.1 gtkspell.pup - which once installed, works internally within Sylpheed, marking any incorrectly spelt words immediately they are typed.
Configuration, Compose, enable spell checking [X], Default language EN.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 11:18    Post_subject: Thanks!  

Thanks, Wolf_Pup and Fossil,

That's a better solution, just need to see where it works. I'm not sorry I posted my hack, though. For those cases where you want to get added functionality without writing code, the trick of redefining an existing external command comes in handy. You can use this for other purposes. It has been around since my old Unix days, when user interfaces were slowly chipped out of granite.

prehistoric
JustGreg

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 13:55    Post_subject:  

Thanks Wolfpup and Fossil for the suggestions. I tried the spellchecker_addon.pet and could not get gtkspell to work. The program aspell work normally and using Prehistoric hack, it worked fine with Slypheed.

Fossil, there have been a lot of changes between Puppy 2.17 and Puppy 4.0. The pup package may work. I have tried pup packages before with Puppy 4.0 and generally they did not work. I could not find the package. So I did not try. But thank you for the suggestion.

prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:45    Post_subject: tried addon, no luck  

@Wolf_Pup,

I just tried the spellcheck_addon.pet with Slypheed 2.2.7 under 3.02 alpha 6, (which is basically still a 3.01 system.) No luck. I have Opera 9.27 installed, and remember from before that I did not need gtkspell, only aspell, to make spell checking work with that. We may have a conflict with different versions of gtkspell.

If you produce a new package it would be helpful to have a command line call to invoke gtkspell. Looking through that pet it seemed there were gtk function calls, but no way to invoke it from the command line. Using a hack, with gtkspell in place of bare aspell, would give a nicer interface even on versions of Sylpheed, or other programs, which do not have a call to gtkspell built in.
Fossil

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 17:10    Post_subject:  

@JustGreg - and for anyone who still uses an older Series 2 Puppy.
The Sylpheed-2.3.1 gtkspell.pup can be found here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=74916&sid=839d2efc3a0876cfa72c4aa9dcf51bd7
JustGreg

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2008, 19:13    Post_subject:  

Thank you, Fossil for the web site information. I will put it on the "to do" list and report back.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum