Dingo kernel 2.6.25 and RT73USB Test Results

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
JustGreg

Dingo kernel 2.6.25 and RT73USB Test Results

#1 Post by JustGreg »

Here is a report on WPA and WPA2 wireless network testing of Dingo 4 with the kernel 2.6.25 for everyone's information. The equipment used for testing was a Intel Classmate PC and Cyberbet ZPC-9000 (with a Linksys WUSB54GC usb adapter) connecting to a Linksys model WRT54G router. The router was configured as needed for either a hidden or broadcasted (open) SSID. The encryption was either WPA or WPA2.

The new rt73usb driver used with the kernel 2.6.25 version of Dingo is part of the RT2x00 "open source" driver effort of serialmonkey.com. The whole set of drivers are still ungoing development. The rt73usb driver is still beta software. This is one of the reasons that Barry has made the Dingo 4.00 with kernel 2.6.25 as a "testing only release". There have been posts about problems.

In general, the binkly light network icon in the task bar work different with Dingo kernel 2.6.25. With the other puppy versions, I get the far light always on (green). With Dingo kernel 2.6.24, only turn green when an actual data transfer is on going.

The testing showed that the ap_scan parameter of the wpa_supplicant configuration file had to be present and set. The default vaule did not work.

Here is what the wpa_supplicant documentation says on the ap_scan parameter:
[quote]
AP scanning/selection
By default,‭ ‬wpa_supplicant requests driver to perform AP scanning and then
to uses the scan results to select a suitable AP.‭ ‬Another alternative is to
allow the driver to take care of AP scanning and selection and use
wpa_supplicant just to process EAPOL frames based on IEEE‭ ‬802.11‭ ‬association
information from the driver.
1:‎
Attachments
dingo-wpa.tar.gz
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

JustGreg, you are quickly becoming the WPA troubleshooting expert.
Yes, the ap_scan value in wpa_supplicant.conf can make a critical difference. When rarsa was first writing the Network Wizard (early 2007) he and I were both confused about ap_scan -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5440#95440
From a Google search it appeared that "ap_scan=2" was successful with hidden SSID's, so that's what was used as the default value in Puppy's WPA configuration file. Apparently rarsa did some research on the "wpa_cli" utility and eventually he used it in the Wizard. You can see at line 955 in /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh that "wpa_cli" is used to set the ap_scan value. Unfortunately, though, this setting is not always correct (as JustGreg has discovered) so it appears that trial-and-error is still required in certain cases.

I believe that "0" is also a valid value for ap_scan.
JustGreg, you might try "ap_scan=0" with your Linksys WUSB54GC.

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

I would not call myself a wpa_supplicant expert. Just, when I think I have everything "nailed down", something else happens. For example, Linksys WUSB54GC. will connect to a hidden SSID WPA2 network. It does not do it reliably. My first post was done using Linksys WUSB54GC. on a hidden SSID WPA2 network. This morning, it took eight tries before it would connect.. I have gone back to a broadcast SSID WPA2 network. It works with all versions of Puppy (3.01, 4.0 kernel 2.6.21.7, 4.0 kernel 2.6.25).

It appears with the Linksys WUSB54GC. adapter and Puppy 4.0 kernel 2.6.25 combination using a broadcast SSID WPA2 network is the easiest to get running and use. The Intel Classmate does not have this problem.

I will try ap_scan=0 and post the results. From my readings, ap_scan=0 uses the driver to associate. I do know that rt73usb does not support WPA (only open or WEP). But, if one does not try then you never really know.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#4 Post by JustGreg »

As I said above, just when you think you know what is going on, something happens to show you up. I tested ap_scan=0 with Cybernet/Linksys USB adapter with a WPA2 network.

For a broadcast SSID WPA2 network, ap_scan=0 did work. Trying a hidden SSID WPA2 network, ap_scan=0 worked slowly. The connection was very slow. I checked with wpa_cli status and found the wpa_supplicant only associated and did not complete. Normally, wpa_supplicant status is completed when it works with the other ap_scan values.

The bottom line is you have to try all values of ap_scan and find which works best.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

Maybe the network wizard should make 3 copies of wpa_supplicant.conf, each with different values of ap_scan, and try each of them in turn. Kinda lame, but if that's what it takes... :roll:

JustGreg

#6 Post by JustGreg »

PaulBX1, I think having all ap_scan values in their own wpa.conf could be a bit much. However, having the user identify whether SSID is open (ap_scan=1) or Hidden (ap_scan=2), then Network wizard would have a better chance of getting it correct. One could add a button to select hidden or open. It is a thought.
Enjoy life, Just Greg