Puppy hangs at usb.c, from cd or hd with XP--NTFS.

Booting, installing, newbie
dustie

Puppy hangs at usb.c, from cd or hd with XP--NTFS.

#1 Post by dustie »

Another Noob here.

I'm running a Pent. II--300, 40gb hard drive, and 512mb ram.

I have the drive broken down into four. C-NTFS----E,F,G as FAT 32, all just over 9gb each.

I have run DSL, Ubuntu, and Knoppix from cd, with no problem at all, but for some reason, Puppy will not run at all----from cd or hard drive.

I've followed the hard drive tutorials to the letter, and everything seems to go as it should, until I re-boot. I get the menu option for Win XP, or puppy.

I choose Puppy, it starts to boot, and when it get's to a certain point, it stops dead in it's tracks, and hangs there. The line reads:

usb.c: Deregistering driver usbdevfs

Running the cd, it stops at the same point.

I have two usb ports, but nothing is connected to them at this time.

I would love to get puppy running, and dispense with Windows altogether, but so far have not been able to.

Any suggestions ?......I've been trying Puppy 1.04, and 1.05.

Thank's,

d. :cry:

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I wonder if maybe you have a ps/2 keyboard and usb keyboard support is enabled in the BIOS

I think that would be almost like a default setting on a computer of your era.

I don't propose to know what the problem is, but that is where I'd look first and see if it helps.

----------------

Off topic, but I generally go through the bios settings and make sure things like plug and play OS is not enabled, because Linux is not a plug and play OS.

Also, if it's old I might disable the APM and in some cases the DMA.

dustie

#3 Post by dustie »

Thank's for the reply.....Just got home from work.

Will check ASAP and let you know.

d. : )

dustie

#4 Post by dustie »

Ok...I've disabled everything I could see in Setup regarding PnP, and where it would let me, DMA.

I've tried re-booting with two version's (1.03--1.04) of Puppy, but it still hangs at the same point.

Is there something radically different with DSL and Ubuntu compared to Puppy, in that I can run them without any problems ?

Still hoping to get Puppy going.

d.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I'm wondering if you ever got it to successfully boot and by chance when through the menu and told it you had a usb mouse?

In the mean time, I'll look for a kernel argument to bypass usb support for testing, I don't know of one off hand.

dustie

#6 Post by dustie »

No, It's never been able to boot completely.

It always gets to the point of : usb.c Deregistering driver usbdevfs,
and will go no further.

I appreciate the help.

d.

dustie

#7 Post by dustie »

YAHOO !!......:cough:....I mean WOOF.... :oops:

Puppy is up and running.

I still have to get the internet connection right, but the main thing is
it work's !

In my case, I re-enabled the DMA, and all the USB entries in setup that I had dis-abled, and in doing so found one for USB devices--Dis-abled, I had somehow missed the first time ! :oops: .....I went through setup again, made sure every usb entry was ENABLED, and tried re-booting.

Puppy 1.03....1.04, and Chubby Puppy 1.05 all booted without a pause, and I was soon looking at the desktop for all of them.

Thank's again for your help, and I will scour the forum for people who have had the connection problem, and see how and if they have cured it.

d. :D

redir

#8 Post by redir »

I am having a similiar problem with Chubby Puppy. I am using a Dell Demension 8400 with a P4 3.6GHz and 1 Gig of RAM. When I boot up to the CD it loads up puppy and then after a message about a suitable partition for personal data file in red text it gives me the option to hit enter but just continues on anyway to detectin hub.c blah blah several times till it gets too:

hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c:4 ports detected

And freezes. I tride disabling USB in BIOS but when I get to the red text message above this time it allows me to hit enter but since the keyboard is USB and it is disabled it won't work. I ran this cd on another computer just fine so I know it's not the CD. Any suggestions? Thanks.