Scalar: SDL-based game to create jigsaws from images.

Play with your Puppy.
muggins

Scalar: SDL-based game to create jigsaws from images.

#1 Post by muggins »

http://scalar.sourceforge.net/
The goal of the game is to assemble the picture from pieces. Each picture is divided into pieces which are shuffled. You need to get each piece back to its original position. You accomplish that by swapping pieces (exchanging their positions). You have a limited number of swappings for each picture. The game is over when you complete 3 images, and for each one you get the points. If you have a hard time playing this, you can look at the images directory and see what the final picture looks like.

This needs SDL libraries to run. Start via Menu->Fun->Scalar, or by entering scalar in a console.

N.B. To reduce the size somewhat, I deleted quite a few jpegs from /usr/share/scalar/images directory. But if you wanted to create a particular theme for your children, just add whatever images to this directory. The developer mentions that the program will display .jpg, .gif, .bmp or .png formats.

RR Koothady

SDL Runtime Library

#2 Post by RR Koothady »

muggins

Thanks for this beautiful software.

I downloaded SDL-1.2.13-1.i386.rpm from the SDL website, unrpm-ed it and installed the lib files in /usr/local. Then fired Scalar - but nothing happens.

Searched this forum for SDL Libraries - thinking I might have gone wrong somewhere. Found Pizzagood's post dating 2005 about a dotpup he had created but it is not available now.

So what to do?

Ramesh

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Hi Ramesh,

the only SDL package you need to run it is Mu's trusty LibSDL1.2-forDoom.pup. If you're using puppyversion4, then to install .pups in pup4, you also need to install the dotpuphandler-0.0.4-2.pet

RR Koothady

#4 Post by RR Koothady »

muggins

Very many thanks. It works now.

Ramesh