howto install Puppy to hard drive

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nubc

#1 Post by nubc »

standard Full install with a few tweaks

1. download Puppy 2.17.1 (95 MB): version 2.17.1 is recommended for its exceptional stability and enhanced modem support; you can generally use these instructions to install Puppy 4.0 "Dingo" as well
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

2. burn ISO image file to CD, set CDROM as first device in BIOS/Setup boot order, then run liveCD (woof woof)

3. running Puppy from liveCD, use resident GParted to create two partitions, ext2 and linux-swap: the larger ext2 partition is located at beginning of drive space and the small linux-swap partition is located at the end of drive space

GParted tutorial
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

as a preliminary, delete all partitions so the drive is 100% unallocated space (gray); next right-click on "unallocated" space and select "New" to call the 'Create new partition' dialog: (after creating a msdos disklabel on /dev/hda) the ext2 partition is formed by reducing this New partition by the amount desired for linux-swap partition, where swap partition size = 2 x RAM (or 500MB max), so you set the amount of "Free Space Following" to the size of the swap partition; by default the ext2 partition is set as 'Primary,' so next select 'ext2' for the filesystem, then click "Add" button to close dialog

similarly, to make the linux-swap partition, right-click "unallocated" space (now much smaller) to select "New" to call 'Create new partition' dialog to create the swap partition (also a Primary partition!), set filesystem as 'linux-swap,' then click "Add" button to close dialog

now click "Edit" to select 'Apply All Operations;' after the two partitions are created, next right-click the ext2 partition (/dev/hda1) to select 'Manage flags': set /dev/hda1 as "boot," then quit GParted (you can proceed to install Puppy without rebooting)
find: Menu > System > GParted partition manager

4. run Puppy Universal Installer: follow onscreen instructions to install Puppy (read carefully)
find: Menu > Setup > Puppy universal installer
[see reply below for more details]

5. after final step of installing grub to MBR, close installer, reboot computer with no liveCD, "Do Not Save" session; when reboot pauses at GRUB boot menu (blue background), press Enter to continue

6. from Puppy desktop, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst: uncomment timeout, set to 5 seconds, save, quit

7. try shutting down computer--if computer hangs, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst: add acpi=force to boot parameters

Code: Select all

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal acpi=force
(this edit becomes effective after next boot)

8. run Network Wizard to configure cable connection: eth0 > AutoDHCP > Yes > Exit
find: Menu > Setup > Network Wizard

9. use PupDial to configure modem dialup, requires: ISP phone number, user name, password
find: Menu > Network > PupDial

10. adjust audio volume with Puppy Volume Mixer: set Master to 90%
find: Menu > Multimedia > Puppy sound mixer

11. for full Copy capability of Grafburn, install 'cdrdao' with Puppy package manager
find: Menu > Setup > Puppy package manager > PETget package manager

12. to enable "Show desktop" toggle, edit /root/.jwmrc-tray (hidden file, so left-click 'eye' button on ROX-Filer toolbar): remove <!-- and --> from 'Show desktop' code, save, and quit

<!-- <TrayButton popup="Show desktop" icon="showdesk16.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton> -->
restart X to activate toggle
find: Menu > Shutdown > Restart X server

13. to stop ROX-Filer from automatically resizing windows (an annoyance), open home icon on Desktop and right-click any folder, select Options from the primary dropdown menu, in the resulting Options dialog highlight "Filer windows" by clicking it to view settings in right panel, under Auto-resize filer windows tick the option "Never automatically resize" then click OK button to exit
Options > Filer windows > Auto-resize filer windows > Never automatically resize > OK

14. to show image thumbnails in ROX-Filer, call Options dialog as above, highlight "Thumbnails" by clicking it to view settings in right panel, click to select "Show image thumbnails" then click OK button to exit
Options > Filer windows > Thumbnails > Show image thumbnails > OK

15. dotpups = custom packages http://dotpups.de/dotpups/

TOTAL TIME: ~20 minutes
Last edited by nubc on Sun 26 Apr 2009, 11:12, edited 101 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

4. run Puppy universal installer--step by step

find: Menu > Setup > Puppy universal installer

select media to install Puppy to: IDE (ATA) internal hard drive, OK

choose what drive to install to: hda XXX, size xxx, OK

click "Install Puppy to hda1"

click "OK" to install Puppy

where are Puppy files? click "CD"

doublecheck: insert Puppy liveCD into CDROM (hdc), OK

2 ways to install Puppy to partition: choose Option 2 (full install) by clicking "NORMAL" button

if there is a previous installation of Puppy present on the primary partition, you will get a FINAL SANITY CHECK; in that case choose to "wipe" hda1 (Caution: you will lose all data from previous installation when you wipe hda1)

Puppy files are installed to hda

install GRUB bootloader: accept defaults except for where to install GRUB, to MBR (Master Boot Record)

'grubconfig' script about to be executed, OK

if CDROM ejects automatically, remove CD

select "simple" to install GRUB automatically

configure GRUB to use frame buffer console? "standard" is safe choice

select partition for GRUB files to go: /dev/hda1 (default)

select GRUB destination: Option 3 Install GRUB to MBR

"GRUB INSTALL SUCCESS"

click "No" if installation is finished

reboot computer (to Puppy now installed on hard drive)

"DO NOT SAVE" session, no liveCD in CDROM

when reboot pauses at GRUB boot menu (blue background), press Enter to continue

configure video with Xorgwizard, click "Xorg" for Puppy to detect video

select video mode (pick suggested resolution), OK

Puppy desktop
Last edited by nubc on Sat 29 Mar 2008, 05:46, edited 3 times in total.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

VLC setup for .FLV playback

Getting VLC to play .flv files:
When you right-click a downloaded .flv file, you get a menu with "File..." preselected. From File you can see "Open with..." and "Set Run Action". When properly configured, either of these options can select VLC to play the .flv file.

To put VLC in the "Open with..." list, click "Open with...", then select Customise at the bottom of the list presented, Okay the info, then you have the folder containing the apps to "Open with..." Leaving that folder open, start another instance of ROX-Filer and navigate to /usr/local/bin folder to find the gear symbol for VLC. Drag the VLC gear symbol to the "Open with..." apps folder; when prompted for the type of file transfer, select Copy. This places VLC on the Open with... list. When you right-click a .flv file and select "Open with...." you can now select VLC from the list.

To configure VLC as Set Run Action, right-click a .flv file, select Set Run Action from the menu. When you get the dialog, modify the shell command by inserting vlc in front of "$@" and be sure there is a space between them.

vlc "$@"
Click "Use Command" button. That should set VLC to play a .flv file when you (single) left-click the file.
Last edited by nubc on Fri 05 Jun 2009, 07:25, edited 5 times in total.

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

TIP: For a trouble-free file transfer, before dragging, resize and reposition the source and destination folders so their respective borders do not overlap.

TIP: To see hidden files, left-click the 'eye' button on ROX-Filer toolbar.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 25 Jun 2008, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

My hard drive has a primary partition hda1 and an extended partition (hda2) which then shows as hda5 and hda6.

I have information on the extended partition in both hda5 and hda6 that I want to keep when I install Puppy Linux 3.01 to hda1.

Looking at GParted it would seem that I have to "Set Disklabel" in order to create the necessary ext2 and swap partitions.

There is a warning that states that all data on hda will be lost. Certainly not the result I require!!

What do I need to do to install to hda1 given the above?

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

My hard drive has a primary partition hda1 and an extended partition (hda2) which then shows as hda5 and hda6.
You lose me there, "which then shows as hda5 and hda6." My tutorial covers a standard, clean install, and this is almost exclusively the way I install Puppy. So I probably won't be able to help you. About the only thing I can respond to would be corrections to my tutorial. Respectfully, I suggest you will have more success at getting a prompt and competent response if you post your issue in the Users section or Beginners Help section, rather than the HOWTO section. Furthermore, I suggest you furnish more info about what is currently on the hard drive, and what you wish to accomplish. Good luck.

Mercedes350se

#7 Post by Mercedes350se »

What I was trying to say was that I have the remnants of a windo$e system on my hard drive.

The old C: is where I wish to install Puppy. There is nothing currently on this drive.

I have a D: and an E: drive, using the old nomenclature, where I have various files that I wish to keep and be available using Puppy.

Anyone out there that can guide me through the install. Please!

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

davids45

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I've only added partitions to existing Windows-only drives and re-sized existing ones such as 'drive C'..
.. but my experience (all good) is that GParted would only re-format hda1 (your soon-to-be-ex-Windows drive C) and leave your extended partitions alone.
Click on that partition's box (hda1) on the GParted drive bar, and then pick your options of what to do with it. Re-sizing ex-C (smaller) would allow a swap partition to be added in the unallocated space. The box around the hda2 partition containing the extended partitions you want to keep should not change and the list of things GParted is going to do for you (down the bottom of the screen) should show nothing affecting hda2. If this is what it says, (and you've backed up what is really important), then click on "Apply".

Admittedly, GParted is not always the most user-friendly of programs but I've found it pretty good (for Linux). Check the GParted website as well.

Hidden Windows partitions (from the computer seller) may be a problem if present.

You'd need to make the new hda1 bootable (check the Flag column) unless you would always be booting from a live CD or usb peripheral of some sort (like a lot of Pup users do).

David S.

kalleanka

#10 Post by kalleanka »

works! Thanks nubc.

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

TIP: There are several easy ways to call up ROX-Filer, the file system browser.

You can open the home icon on the Desktop with a single left-click, and then left-click the green Up arrow in the upper left corner of the home directory. "Up" takes you to a higher level in the file system, and one level up from the home directory gives you a good overview of the filesystem.

Or you can right-click any icon on Desktop and select "ROX-Filer" from the dropdown menu, then click "Home Directory." Again, from the home directory you access the filesystem by clicking the Up arrow.

You can call ROX-Filer from rxvt (console/terminal) by entering 'rox' at the prompt. Thus giving you the home directory, click Up to view the filesystem.

The other way is to select ROX-Filer from the Menu tree. ROX-Filer can be found under the "Filesystem" heading. After ROX-Filer is called, you first get the home directory, so click the Up arrow to view the entire filesystem.
find: Menu > Filesystem > ROX-Filer > Up

TIP: To see hidden files, left-click the 'eye' button on ROX-Filer toolbar.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 02 Jun 2009, 19:49, edited 2 times in total.

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

TIP: How to create a folder on Desktop: The quickest way is to open the home folder with a single left-click, then right-click open space inside the folder to get a dropdown menu. Select "New" from the primary dropdown menu, then click "Directory." In the resulting 'Create' dialog, type in the name of your folder, then click "Create" button to make the folder. This creates a new folder in the home directory. Now simply drag the new folder to Desktop.

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

TIP: Sometimes SeaMonkey browser freezes and becomes inoperable, and the quickest recovery is to restart X. You can restart the X server from the Menu button, and return to a refreshed desktop in a matter of seconds:
Menu > Shutdown > Restart X server

Occasionally, the Menu tree is frozen and inaccessible as well, so you must use a more drastic measure. Simultaneously press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to crash Puppy to the command-line prompt. Then enter 'xwin' at the prompt to quickly restore desktop.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 06 Oct 2008, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#14 Post by nubc »

howto upgrade Seamonkey 1.0.8 to SM 1.1.8 on Puppy 2.17.1 Full install
Please read through these instructions carefully and completely before attempting this upgrade. If there is any instruction that you do not understand, do not attempt this upgrade. Please be sure your technical skills are up to the task.

1. download seamonkey-1.1.8.pet
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Seamonkey-nightly/

2. navigate to /usr/local/bin with ROX-Filer to find the 'mozstart' executable, rename as 'mozstart-old'; right-click open space inside /usr/local/bin directory to create a blank file, rename it 'mozstart', then copy & paste this code in it

#!/bin/sh

#Puppy does not want more than one instance of Moz running.

#aug06:
#note, must execute mozilla-bin here, as it is a script with
# a bug fix, and then executes seamonkey-bin.

COMTAIL="$@"

[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] && exec mozilla #v3.94

URLPREFIX="`echo "$COMTAIL" | grep --extended-regexp "http://|ftp://|https://|file://|-mail|-edit|-addressbook|-calendar|-remote"`"
if [ "$URLPREFIX" = "" ];then
 [ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] || COMTAIL="file://${COMTAIL}"
fi

ps | grep --extended-regexp 'mozilla\-bin|seamonkey\-bin' > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then #=0 if found.
 #exec /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin -remote "openURL($COMTAIL,new-tab)"
 exec mozilla -remote "openURL($COMTAIL,new-tab)"
else
 #exec /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin $COMTAIL
 exec mozilla $COMTAIL
fi
save and close file, then right-click file's icon to select Permissions: set Command as "a+x (Make executable/searchable)" (default), then click "Yes" button to change permissions, thus making the file executable

IMPORTANT NOTE: Changing 'mozstart' causes a temporary loss of internet access with Seamonkey

3. install seamonkey-1.1.8.pet by (single) left-clicking the .pet package

SUCCESS: Seamonkey-1.1.8 is installed! An entry has been created in the 'Personal' menu, with text 'Seamonkey Addressbook'
HOWEVER, you need to restart the window manager to see it (see "Shutdown' or 'Window' menu).
NOTE 1: /root/.packages/Seamonkey-1.1.8.files has list of installed files
NOTE 2: If installed any library, X server, browser, you must reboot Puppy 
IGNORE missing dependencies warnings

4. after rebooting, open console and cd to /usr/bin to create 'mozilla' symlink to seamonkey with the following command

ln -s seamonkey mozilla
5. navigate to /usr/lib with ROX-Filer to rename 'mozilla' symlink as 'mozilla-old'; then cd to /usr/lib in console to create new 'mozilla' symlink to seamonkey-1.1.8 with this command

ln -s seamonkey-1.1.8 mozilla
6. navigate to /usr/local/bin with ROX-Filer to rename 'seamonkey' executable as 'seamonkey-old', then open another instance of ROX-Filer to navigate to /usr/bin to find 'seamonkey' executable; now copy (drag) 'seamonkey' in /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin directory

7. reboot computer to recover internet access

Seamonkey 1.1.8 should now respond to clicking the browse desktop icon and to clicking the Menu entry for Seamonkey in the Internet section

8. navigate to /usr/lib with ROX-Filer to find 'seamonkey-1.1.8' directory, open 'seamonkey-1.1.8' to find 'plugins' folder, rename this 'plugins' folder as 'plugins-old'; open another instance of ROX-Filer to find 'seamonkey-1.0.8' directory in /usr/lib, open 'seamonkey-1.0.8' to find 'plugins' folder; now copy (drag) 'plugins' folder in 'seamonkey-1.0.8' to 'seamonkey-1.1.8' directory: upgrade complete!

This procedure verified on four different computers running Puppy 2.17.1 Full install.
Last edited by nubc on Sat 03 Jan 2009, 12:11, edited 11 times in total.

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

NOTES on the upgrade to Seamonkey 1.1.8 on Puppy 2.17.1

1. Although SM 1.1.11 is the latest version of Seamonkey, version 1.1.8 was selected because it is the version of Seamonkey in Puppy 4.0 "Dingo"
2. The mozstart code was copied directly from 'mozstart' in Puppy 4.0
3. The mozstart mod (step 2) is a bit out of sequence because it requires internet access, to copy code from this tutorial
4. Wouldn't it be nice, if someone repackaged seamonkey-1.1.8.pet with these hacks incorporated into the install script of SM 1.1.8 on Puppy 2.17.1, so that it could all be done automatically, with one click!
5. I would like to reduce browser font size in SM 1.1.8, but I can live with the oversize fonts for now
6. This procedure has been verified on four different computers; for the first three computers the mozstart mod was step 6; on the fourth computer the mozstart mod was step 2, as I realized user needs internet access for this hack

wpd

lost desktop icons

#16 Post by wpd »

After a power outage, I had to reboot from the original CD, whereupon my hda (on which a full puppy linux was sitting) got "repaired" and I lost all the desktop icons.
Can someone help me reconstruct the default desktop?
Thanks
wpd

danibyte27

#17 Post by danibyte27 »

Hi!!
Is it possible to make the same thing from usb flash? I downloaded the latest puppy linux 4.1 alpha 7 iso, put on usb pen, booted from it and got a live puppy linux on my desktop.. At this point, I'd like to install it on my hard disk.. With g-parted I created 2 ext3 partitions.. but when I try to install the distro on the hard disk, it asks me where the files are.. and I don't know what to select..
Can you help me?
Thanks!!
Daniela
Italy

nubc

#18 Post by nubc »

I am running Puppy 2.17.1 right now. I plug in a USB thumb drive and click the drives icon on Desktop. The USB drive is identified as "sde1". I open GParted and then click the down arrow on the top far right, and GParted shows the same thumb drive as "/dev/sde".

There are many members of the forum who are familiar with installing Puppy on thumb drives and everything related to it. (I've never installed from or to a thumb drive.) I encourage you to ask your question in Beginners or Users section of the forum. Good luck.

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

katkin_kalvin

Re: howto install Puppy to hard drive

#20 Post by katkin_kalvin »

nubc wrote:howto install Puppy to hard drive
standard Full install with a few tweaks

6. from Puppy desktop, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst: uncomment timeout, set to 5 seconds, save, quit
How exactly does one do this? I open "edit" and type /boot/grub/menu.lst then how do I set "uncomment timeout" to 5 secounds?

Any help with this will be appreciated :)

Cheers,
John