New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

patching initrd.gz

#341 Post by mcewanw »

I'd rather not rely on the manufacturer's wear-leveling. I'd prefer to minimise writes.

This thread seems to outline a method for patching initrd.gz

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28551

However, I'd rather avoid that if some entry to menu.lst fixes things. I'm trying PMEDIA=ideflash but no success so far.

magerlab

#342 Post by magerlab »

I reade somewhere that life of that internal drive (estimated on the everage writes durinfg the 1 hour session ) is ... 25 years
but anyway what does that patch does? it seems that ssd wil be treated as a usb pen drive
i just do not know how to decompress initrd.gz

can anybody help me?

magerlab

#343 Post by magerlab »

8Geee wrote:magerlab:

no 2nd computer, and the Eee doesn't recognize ISO 9660 filing system (DATA cd-r). There's a way to do this for puppy, wondering if the pupeee can do this trick. After all pupeee is for the Eee PC.
Pupeee is based on puppy 3.01 so everything you can do with puppy is possible with Pupeee
you even can install puppee on a desktop computer ( like other puplets)

mcewanw

Re: Potential damage to internal flash drive!

#344 Post by mcewanw »

drbongo wrote:I don't want to panic anyone, but: I have discovered that installing Pupeee to the internal flash drive of your eeepc MAY decrease its lifespan considerably. I say MAY because I am not certain but it is something that needs considering urgently.
I didn't like the risk, so I took the plunge and modified initrd.gz to force PUPMODE of 13 when running Puppy Dingo from internal flash drive (frugal install) on my Classmate machine. Now I have the SAVE icon on the desktop and a final save occurs at shutdown. For details see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 369#201369

drbongo

Read/write lifespan of an eeepc flash drive

#345 Post by drbongo »

Good news I hope: According to this article although the eeepc flash drive does have a limited number of read/writes it is a lot more resilient than a normal flash drive pen (100,000-200,000 writes per sector as opposed to 10,000) and it has built in leveling! This means that with normal use i.e. 6 hours a day 10% write rate (36 minutes of writing) it will last approx 25 years!!! If this is the case then the flash drive will easily outlast the useful life of the eeepc.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ssd_write_limit

drbongo

Aitch

#346 Post by Aitch »

.....This means that with normal use i.e. 6 hours a day 10% write rate (36 minutes of writing) it will last approx 25 years!!!.....
I have read somewhere a thread from pizzasgood from the developer forum, that BarryK is implementing a change so that saves will only be made at shutdown to reduce this problem even further so - 25>>>>yrs

I don't think the battery will keep up, though :lol:

Aitch

Animal_Allen

#347 Post by Animal_Allen »

Any chance on getting Pupee (or puppee) updated to 4.00 to catch it up with puppy linux?

dbase

#348 Post by dbase »

Hi Guys
Can someone point me to a guide on how to install on eeepc internal flash.

Tried various ways. Many times the installion asks me where the files are located. I select the cd option (I have an external dvd/cd rom plugged in) but the installer says it cannot find the proper files

Any help would be appreciated as I would really like to try this distro

drbongo

Installing to internal eeepc flashdrive

#349 Post by drbongo »

The method I used was to install Pupeee to a usb pen drive using the live cd in a desktop computer. I then booted the usb pen drive on the eeepc by pressing escape as it booted. Then I installed it to the internal disk from the flash drive. You can to choose directory instead of CD at this point, and locate the correct files. They are on the usb pendrive, but you will probably have to mount it to find them. After this the rest is easy. But you should also consider installing it to an sd card using the same method as then you can either keep xandros or wipe it and have 4Gb of drive to store stuff on.

drbongo

8Geee

#350 Post by 8Geee »

Granted the SSD has a 100000 R/W life, but newer CompactFlash cards are even better. The new 266x versions cn even be configured and operated as an IDE drive. The R/W lifetimes are 10x more than the EeePC SSD, and said CF cards operate as fast as the SSD. Caveat: need a USB reader, and maybe a few linux commands.

ArthurDent

#351 Post by ArthurDent »

I'm a tad confused on this puppy distro...

What hardware is and is not working 'out of the box'?

I have read conflicting reports, some of which were old, or based on other puppy distros for the eee... it's all a bit confusing.

Second, which kernal is used by default? I would prefer the retro kernal for compatibility reasons with some USB devices i use.

thanks

andy

8Geee

#352 Post by 8Geee »

@mcewanw:

That solution of device13 is probably the best, and should be incorporated into the next pupeee update, as a simple script-tweak or option to do so. Eee users that decide to wipe the default off the SSD could benefit (2G & 4G models especially). Might even work with an 8G: big dance hall there.

ArthurDent

#353 Post by ArthurDent »

Allright, i downloaded the CD and checked for myself

Kernal: 2.6.27.1
Video card correctly detected @ 800x480
sound works
I have not connected to the internet yet, but all signs point to go for the wirless card.
I assume that the included skype works with the camera

On to a more seriouse question: Has anyone tried to install Compiz-Fusion under pupeee? and if so what were the results? I have seen a screen shot of wNOP running on an eee but the resolution was incorect (though this could be fixed by manualy edditing xorg.conf i would assume).

Would it be easier to install xfce & compiz fusion onto pupeee, or to customize wNOP so that it recognizes the eee's special hardware?

I would much prefer the first to the second, as i love the apps that are pre included with your puppy ... I guess what I'm looking for is a wobbly pupeee.

I'm not afraid of chugging through this myself ( when i finaly have the time), but i wanted to know if anyone has had any success so far, or has any advice for me before i start.

I'm going to make a quick trial run sometime this week, if anyone is interested in the results, let me know.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#354 Post by Lobster »

I'm going to make a quick trial run sometime this week, if anyone is interested in the results, let me know.
I am interested before you begin.

Keep us informed :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ndujoe1

adding memory

#355 Post by ndujoe1 »

ArthurDent

#356 Post by ArthurDent »

I'm doing a trial run type thing right now, pupeee with xfce (atleast it's a step in the right direction).

My test machine is a borrowed eeepc ( I won't get mine until Monday evening) .

In the meantime, everything appears to be working, i'm going to try and install compiz now and see where that gets me.

This isn't my first experience trying to get unusual software/hardware combos running, but it seems to be the first anyone else was interested in so i hope for my sake i don't mess it up.

I'll keep everyone posted.
---DON'T PANIC---
And don't forget you're towel ;-)

Puppy Linux, The Linux for Hoopy Froods

ArthurDent

#357 Post by ArthurDent »

xfce works but compiz exits with error no/usr/bin/metacity found... but this is on my first try, i'm sure i will figure something out.

tqwe

pb4

#358 Post by tqwe »

dvw86 thank you for all the work you put into this.
puppeee4b full install to 2g eee boots in 33 sec. everything working great.
lobster how you enjoying your eee?
whodo thanks for the great program ezpup i use it on all the puppy computers around the house. i look forward to version 4 for the eee. 3worked well on the first pupeee, great stuff keep it coming again thanks all.

ArthurDent

#359 Post by ArthurDent »

:-( i have managed to run compiz fusion, things weren't perfect but it was working. Sadly i had to return the EEE to the person that lent it to me, and the store that i ordered mine from is sold out... :-(

So it goes.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#360 Post by Lobster »

lobster how you enjoying your eee?
I like it.
I have not had Pupeee running on it.
I had Puppy 4 running (when it first came out)
I have two USB keydrives and a SD card but
the USB keydrives are no longer responding to the
universal installer.

So I am using Xandros on the eeepc
Not really sure how to make the above bootable devices - bootable
Been partitioning and setting flags and formatting from Windows
and just getting fed up - nothing seems to make them work . . .

Xandros is OK but I would prefer Pupeee
which I ran the other day on a desktop - it is a very nice Puppy version
In fact I ran it for about a week - which is a long time for me and a puplet . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D