Intel Classmate: dual boot between XP and Puppy Dingo

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mcewanw

Intel Classmate: dual boot between XP and Puppy Dingo

#1 Post by mcewanw »

WARNING: use the following instructions entirely at your own risk. Murga member dbongo comments in the Pupeee thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 236#201236 that Pupeee installations to flash drives need to be running in PUPMODE 13 or otherwise the flash drive life will be reduced. However, when I ran cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE I discovered that my classmate puppy install seems to be running in PUPSTATE 12. According to dbongo that would mean that the internal flash drive is being written to all the time and thus having its life shortened. I don't know. Please check the info out for yourself. If anyone knows more and can suggest a fix, that would be very helpful for everyone who might use this method. I'll amend these instructions if I find out anything more from anyone. Personally, I didn't like the risk of running in PUPMODE 12, so I later modified initrd.gz to force PUPMODE 13 for the internal flash drive. See here for details:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 369#201369
-------------------------------------------------------------
I expect the following will also work with the EeePC (but note the above warning).

[Note that for consistency I places the files in the same arrangement used by ICPUG's Lin'N'Win project. However, I don't see why ICPUG hasn't put vmlinuz and initrt.gz in C:\puppy400 too instead of in C:\ directory. I haven't had time to try putting all the files in puppy400 though to test that]

This is basically just a specific example of the more general method described in great detail by ICPUG in the Lin'N'Win project. Using this method allows you to keep the version of windows XP that generally comes pre-installed on the Intel Classmate. After adding the frugal installation of Puppy Dingo to the internal flash drive ntfs partition alongside the existing XP there still remains around 790 MB of free internal flash drive space.

To save time I've simply included the basic how to instructions in the grub4dos menu.lst file used. Note that I've never used any flash device to boot an operating system before, so wasn't really sure of what I was doing in that regard...:-) Please therefore let me know if you find anything that needs amended. It does, nevertheless, all seem to work, but it's fair to say that I haven't had much time to test it thoroughly.

# re: Intel Classmate
# This is the menu.lst file I used with grldr of grub4dos
# for Dual booting between XP (with service pack 2) and Puppy Linux 4.00 (Dingo)

# The following files were stored in the top directory (i.e. C:\)
# grldr (from grub4dos project at http://sarovar.org);
# this menu.lst file;
# vmlinuz and initrd.gz (extracted from the puppy 4.00 iso).
# All files were moved over to the classmate via a usb stick.

# The following files were stored in C\:puppy400
# pup_400.sfs and zdrv_400.sfs (also extracted from the puppy 4.00 iso).

# Finally, I modified C:\boot.ini as described by Brian Grainger at
# http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/step2-xp.htm

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 5
default /default

title Default Boot on HD 0
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

title Puppy Linux 400
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash psubdir=puppy400
initrd /initrd.gz
boot

title commandline
savedefault --wait=2
commandline

title reboot
savedefault --wait=2
reboot

title halt
savedefault --wait=2
halt

---------------
By the way, I'm in the process of moving home (and country) with my family so not generally doing much computing at the moment.

Cheers, mcewanw
Last edited by mcewanw on Tue 27 May 2008, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

" I'm in the process of moving home (and country) "

Good luck............Chris.

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Hi mcewanw,

Nice to hear from you again.

Just thought I'd answer your query about why I do not put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in the c:\puppy400 directory.

This procedure is on the page:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... puppy4.htm

You will see that in most cases I do suggest putting the files in c:\puppy400.

However, with Windows XP SP2 there seems to be some issue between it and grub so it can only see the c:\ folder and nothing below. Once Linux takes over it is OK so the rest of the files can go in c:\puppy400.

This issue is only with Windows XP SP2 (and presumably SP3 now). With Windows XP SP1 it is OK to put all the files in c:\puppy400

Good luck with the move.

ICPUG

mcewanw

#4 Post by mcewanw »

ICPUG wrote: This procedure is on the page:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... puppy4.htm
Thanks ICPUG, I do remember reading that now that you mention it again. Glad I stuck to your recipe faithfully!

The Lin'N'Win method is great for use with the Intel Classmate. I hope the Intel research people try it out; might convince them yet that Puppy should be provided alongside their XP installation...

mcewanw

reborn

#5 Post by reborn »

This issue is only with Windows XP SP2 (and presumably SP3 now).
Hi, just to let you know that I'm running Macpup Dingo & Muppy Mini 008.3 with all the files in their respective directories (C:/macpup & C:/muppy) under XP SP3. The only issue I have is that Macpup expects any extra .sfs files to be in the /home directory, Muppy wants them in the root directory (addons.sfs etc)
I haven't got vmlinuz and initrd.gz in the root directory at all.

Reborn

vg1

#6 Post by vg1 »

ICPUG -

to narrow it down, this issue probably occurs if you have both grub and winXP installed on the same 1st partition.
I have all the p400 files in c:\dingo4 [fat32 with win98 etc] and winXP SP2 on d:\ [ntfs] with no issue at all.

Just thought you might like to know.

ICPUG

#7 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks vg1.

Where do you put your grub - C or D?

Actually, I think you have the full grub from what you have said elsewhere. Maybe that works OK.

Remember, Lin'N'WinNewB uses grldr from Grub4DOS which maybe different.

Edit:- I've just seen your C drive is FAT32. I know grldr has no problem if it is on FAT32. Maybe that is why Reborn got it to work as well.

However, I cannot assume that a newbie has a FAT32 partition out of the box. They are more likely to have NTFS on a machine with Windows XP already installed.

ICPUG

vg1

#8 Post by vg1 »

ICPUG,

So the problem would only occur with both puppy and WinXP SP2 on same partition on ntfs. It's good to know.

My grub is on C [fat32], It's grub4DOS, not the full grub. I keep it on C; root but now with the latest version it could be in /boot or /boot/grub. In fact for my first dual boot I followed your LinNWin! I still have that basic setup which I have tweaked a little. I do not start grub from boot.ini. Instead I start grub first then all other OSs from it, inlcuding windows. So the first thig that appears is the grub menu. I like it better that way.

zgp152

frugal installation on XP failed

#9 Post by zgp152 »

ICPUG,

Please look at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23667

Maybe you can advice me. My frugal installation on XP failed despite going through appropriate steps.

rgs, zgp152

ICPUG

#10 Post by ICPUG »

zgp152,

I have looked at the thread requested and posted a reply there.

ICPUG

gyro

#11 Post by gyro »

ICPUG wrote:This issue is only with Windows XP SP2 (and presumably SP3 now).
Strange, I have 3 machines running XP SP3, all dual booting Puppy 411, with vmlinuz and initrd.gz in C:\puppy411\
Here's my grldr "menu.lst":

Code: Select all

timeout=0
	default=1

title Puppy Linux 4.0.0
	kernel (hd0,0)/puppy400/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PSUBDIR=puppy400
	initrd (hd0,0)/puppy400/initrd.gz
	boot 

title Puppy Linux 4.1.1
	kernel (hd0,0)/puppy411/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PSUBDIR=puppy411
	initrd (hd0,0)/puppy411/initrd.gz
	boot 
However both "grldr" and "menu.lst" are in C:\

"timeout=0" because I use applications to choose the next OS to boot, these simply copy appropriate versions onto "boot.ini" and/or "menu.lst".

Alan

ICPUG

#12 Post by ICPUG »

gyro,

I take it you took your grldr file from the grub4DOS project and not the Lin'N'Win Project website about 2 months ago. Until recently Lin'N'Win was running an old version of grldr which had the problem mentioned.

I recently updated the grldr on the Lin'N'Win pages so that like you anybody can now store vmlinuz and initrd.gz in the subdirectory.

gyro

#13 Post by gyro »

ICPUG wrote:I take it you took your grldr file from the grub4DOS project and not the Lin'N'Win Project website about 2 months ago.
Yep.
Unfortunately I didn't discover Lin'N'Win until after I setup my XP machines, because I ended up with a setup that is pretty much the same as Lin'N'Win.

gyro