Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 04 Jun 2020, 23:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 29 [423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 Next
tony

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 11:29    Post subject:  

My flash voyager gt (replaced once) is not seen in the front usb ports of my computer in linux and not seen at all in windows.
research befor you buy.

Regards Tony.
Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 09:05    Post subject:  

Here is a response to an email I sent to a KLUG [my local], member:-

Quote:
I have tried Puppy and I didn't like it much. Like most small distributions it felt outdated and clunky. I would recommend taking a look at Slitaz as it feels a lot more modern, despite being 22MB.

33sec to boot an EeePC? I hardly see how that's an improvement of the inbuilt Xandros Smile

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM, xxxx@hotmail.cam> wrote:

"I was a big Fedora man, and now I've moved to Ubuntu entirely. Although I use my EeePC a lot,
and that's Xandros Smile"
Spode - 22 May 2008 14:24:28

-----------------
My Original, which he was responding to:-

Quote:
Hi, I've been following the klug thread from my mail box & when I saw this, I felt compelled to chip in

I joined klug a while ago but haven't managed to contact anyone yet, so this seemed like a good opportunity

I am also a Puppylinux forum member & they have an awesome version especially for the EEEPC

Here's a link to a review

http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee-701-notebook-with-puppy-linux/

and the forum which currently shows people booting Pupeee in 33 secs!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25896&start=315

I wondered if Puppy linux has been discussed/tried by Klug members?

I had hoped to get to a meeting but, I'm without transport, a pensioner trying to keep up with technology, living in Chatham & meetings seem to be many miles away

Aitch

Just a bit of feedback....

Aitch
8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 16:32    Post subject:  

tony: try the back USB ports for the sticks.
Rob S

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2008, 04:31    Post subject:
Subject description: Issue with RNDIS adapter on eeePC

To use a USB port as a connection to a LAN and then to Internet, you need to have rndis-host module loaded. This is not catered for in the relevant wizard's driver list. Fixing this anomaly would be the best solution, but the alternative approach is to do the following:
1) Ensure that your modem is connected to the eeePC via an USB cable
2) Open a terminal window and enter the following:
Code:
lsmod | grep rndis     (This will have no response if module has not been loaded)
modprobe rndis-host    (Load driver module)
lsmod | grep rndis     (Response here will confirm that rndis-host module has been loaded)

3) Select the 'Connect to internet by network interface' wizard (via Setup entry on main menu) and you should see that an eth interface has been recognised
4) Click detected interface button and configure, etc.

Now you should have a fully functioning connection via USB to the Internet Smile
drbongo

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2008, 07:32    Post subject: Pupeee B4 or Puppy-eee  

I have just given Pupeee B4 and Puppy-eee a try, booting from a USB flash drive and an SD card and both work well. The resolution, wireless networking, the volume, brightness and mute function buttons work. I would just like to know which is the latest version (presuming they are related) The Pupeee B4 has a yellowish background and black/grey menus etc, the Puppy-eee has a blue background with a bird and the standard grey taskbar and menus. I would also like to know whether there will be a puppy 4 gtk2 version anytime soon?

Keep up the good work, I think the eeepc is the way to get linux into the mainstream - its a pity the xandros distro supplied is so crap!

drbongo
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 04:47    Post subject: dual boot with both XP and Puppy on internal flash  

I imagine the following dual boot method should also work with Pupeee and the EeePC:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=200959#200959
StephenH

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 17:12    Post subject: Re: Pupeee B4 or Puppy-eee  

drbongo wrote:
I have just given Pupeee B4 and Puppy-eee a try, booting from a USB flash drive and an SD card and both work well. The resolution, wireless networking, the volume, brightness and mute function buttons work. I would just like to know which is the latest version (presuming they are related) The Pupeee B4 has a yellowish background and black/grey menus etc, the Puppy-eee has a blue background with a bird and the standard grey taskbar and menus. I would also like to know whether there will be a puppy 4 gtk2 version anytime soon?

Keep up the good work, I think the eeepc is the way to get linux into the mainstream - its a pity the xandros distro supplied is so crap!

drbongo

I just got my EeePC 900 this week and have been playing with it and trying to customize it. I tried Pupeee B4, but I am having absolutely no success getting a network connection. Sad

I assume most of the work and testing has been on the 700 series so far. Is there the possibility for a version geared toward the 900 now that it has been released?

StephenH
drbongo

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 20:40    Post subject:  Potential damage to internal flash drive!  

I don't want to panic anyone, but: I have discovered that installing Pupeee to the internal flash drive of your eeepc MAY decrease its lifespan considerably. I say MAY because I am not certain but it is something that needs considering urgently.

As you probably know the eeepc has an internal flash drive and flash drives have a limited read/write capacity. When you install pupeee (or puppy) to a usb flash drive and/or sd card pupeee runs in PUPMODE=13 (look in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to check) this tells the computer that the storage is removable and should not be written to constantly - it writes on shutdown and/or every 30 minutes. However when I installed pupeee to my internal flash drive when I shutdown for the first time I was offered a choice of two save options - to file or drive. However the next time I rebooted and shutdown it said that the save file was mounted in the top layer and everything was already saved. This made me suspicious and I discovered that I was running in PUPMODE=6 which allows realtime read/writes. Other people have had the same problem with the original puppy if you look in the forums, but pupeee is specifically aimed at the eeepc and people installing it may assume it won't damage their internal flashdrive.

I am not certain that it will damage it, and there may be a technical explanation as to why not, but in the meantime I have decided to boot pupeee from the sd card and wiped the internal drive, which means it boots from the sd card without pressing escape and gives you 4G of space to store stuff. SD cards are cheap to buy and easy to replace unlike the hard drive of my eeepc.

I hope someone can provide a technical judgement of the effects of this. And maybe the creator of pupeee can take account of this with the next version. IF THERE IS ANY RISK INVOLVED THIS SHOULD BE PLACED AS A STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE PUPEEE THREAD!

I hope I am wrong!

drbongo
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 22:46    Post subject: Re: Potential damage to internal flash drive!  

drbongo wrote:
When you install pupeee (or puppy) to a usb flash drive and/or sd card pupeee runs in PUPMODE=13 (look in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to check) this tells the computer that the storage is removable and should not be written to constantly - it writes on shutdown and/or every 30 minutes. However when I installed pupeee to my internal flash drive when I shutdown for the first time I was offered a choice of two save options - to file or drive. However the next time I rebooted and shutdown it said that the save file was mounted in the top layer and everything was already saved.

Thanks for that info. I appear to have the same problem with the frugal installation I've made of Dingo to my Intel Classmate internal flash drive (I believe the same method is applicable to an Eeepc).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29580

cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE tells me that it is running in PUPMODE 12. I hope someone has a solution for this since I'd prefer running puppy from the internal drive if I safely can. I know there are ways of forcing PUPMODEs through modifying initrd.gz, but I'd rather not go to such lengths if I can avoid it.

Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 26 May 2008, 23:20; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 23:03    Post subject:  

I would like to believe that the developers of these ultra-light laptops have thought about the amount of wear and tear on their solid state drives. After all, a lot more people will use the pre-installed Xandros on their eeepc than will use Puppy. If they don't have to worry, why should we?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2008, 23:30    Post subject: patching initrd.gz  

I'd rather not rely on the manufacturer's wear-leveling. I'd prefer to minimise writes.

This thread seems to outline a method for patching initrd.gz

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28551

However, I'd rather avoid that if some entry to menu.lst fixes things. I'm trying PMEDIA=ideflash but no success so far.
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2008, 00:01    Post subject:  

I reade somewhere that life of that internal drive (estimated on the everage writes durinfg the 1 hour session ) is ... 25 years
but anyway what does that patch does? it seems that ssd wil be treated as a usb pen drive
i just do not know how to decompress initrd.gz

can anybody help me?
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2008, 00:05    Post subject:  

8Geee wrote:
magerlab:

no 2nd computer, and the Eee doesn't recognize ISO 9660 filing system (DATA cd-r). There's a way to do this for puppy, wondering if the pupeee can do this trick. After all pupeee is for the Eee PC.

Pupeee is based on puppy 3.01 so everything you can do with puppy is possible with Pupeee
you even can install puppee on a desktop computer ( like other puplets)
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2008, 04:32    Post subject: Re: Potential damage to internal flash drive!  

drbongo wrote:
I don't want to panic anyone, but: I have discovered that installing Pupeee to the internal flash drive of your eeepc MAY decrease its lifespan considerably. I say MAY because I am not certain but it is something that needs considering urgently.

I didn't like the risk, so I took the plunge and modified initrd.gz to force PUPMODE of 13 when running Puppy Dingo from internal flash drive (frugal install) on my Classmate machine. Now I have the SAVE icon on the desktop and a final save occurs at shutdown. For details see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201369#201369
drbongo

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2008, 05:34    Post subject:  Read/write lifespan of an eeepc flash drive  

Good news I hope: According to this article although the eeepc flash drive does have a limited number of read/writes it is a lot more resilient than a normal flash drive pen (100,000-200,000 writes per sector as opposed to 10,000) and it has built in leveling! This means that with normal use i.e. 6 hours a day 10% write rate (36 minutes of writing) it will last approx 25 years!!! If this is the case then the flash drive will easily outlast the useful life of the eeepc.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ssd_write_limit

drbongo
Page 23 of 29 [423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: