xf-prot-SOLVED

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
brymway

xf-prot-SOLVED

#1 Post by brymway »

According to the Puppy Manual, we have a virus scanner at our disposal. I looked at my Puppy 3.01 disc and I have xf-prot under my utility menu. So I started it, it gives me a warning that I am running as root. I click OK. Then I get a window pop up saying

Unable to stat
/usr/local/xfprot/COPYING
no such file or directory

I click the OK button and get:

CANNOT OPEN FILE!!

So, being in the position as are a lot of people I imagine, and that being I know someone dead in the water because their windows machine crashed and they want to know if they have a virus because windows won't load up, or maybe they have a worm but they can't use their packaged protection software because they are dead in the water, I have been looking for a linux distro with virus and worm scanners. I've downloaded some other distros and am currently running the distro std using the virus scan program ClamScan on one of the windows machines here, but I would rather have a Puppy security disc. I mean after all, Puppy does everything else, why not a
white-hat security and vulnerability disc? But I digress. Anybody know what I should do to get xf-prot to work like the manual says?
Last edited by brymway on Sun 25 May 2008, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Brymway,

I just downloaded the pup3 xf-prot package, rebooted into pup3.01, installed it, clicked the OK for license, then tried, unsuccessfully, to run a scan. Very quickly a console window pops up and, after doing this several times, I could see it was telling me the virus definitions were out of date. Xf-prot has an update button, but as I haven't set up that pup for any net access, that was as far as my experimentation got. It sounds like you're not even getting this far. Did xf-prot come with your version of pup3.01? Is it even installed? Maybe you need to download the xf-prot package from ibiblio? You could also look at donwloading & installing the free version of Avast.

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

I downloaded and compiled f-prot from source with Puppy v2.12. Though command line only, it works well, so perhaps the reported problem lies in the GUI implimentation thereof ...
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

kirk

#4 Post by kirk »

I made a fprot package with a GUI a year or so ago. It's here:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... -fprot.pet

Just tried it in Puppy 4.0. Works fine. After installing and restarting JWM, you'll find it under Utility in the menu. When you first run the GUI click on update to download the virus def files. Then scan what you want.

brymway

#5 Post by brymway »

I found where to download it "from the forum" and went ahead and downloaded it, ran it and rebooted. I now have two menu listings of XF-Prot. I clicked on the newly added one and ran the program without a hitch. I don't know what or why but it now works. I would swear that it came with the iso I downloaded of 3.01 but it just didn't work. So thanks for the affirmation guys.