Sound Card not detected in Puppy 4.0

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Jose

Sound Card not detected in Puppy 4.0

#1 Post by Jose »

Greetings to all puppy-fans,

I am quite new to Puppy, have installed Puppy 4.0 and 3 on Dell Latitude D600 laptop and strangely the sound card cannot be detected at all in Puppy 4.0. When I run sound wizard, no card is found. In Puppy 3 it worked straight away, no config was necessary.

Sound module discovered in Puppy 3 is called snd-intel8x0. When I try modprobe snd-intel8x0 in Puppy 4, I get message that module not found. Can anybody head me where to look for more information on modules, where they are stored in the system? I heard that some modules are included in the kernel, others not. How can I add it to my system?

What confuses me the most is that it works normally in Puppy 3 8-)

Jose

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Jose,

If you boot from the pup4 cdrom, does the sound card work?

Jose

#3 Post by Jose »

Hi Muggins, thanks for a good question - to my great surprise the soundcard works fine when I boot from the cd. Have you got any ideas what might be wrong?

I forgot to mention that I run full hd install.

J.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Hi Jose,

Yeah, with a full installation it doesn't mount the zdrv .sfs file, (which contains a bunch of drivers). So try mounting this file to a temporary location & copy everything across to your full install:

Code: Select all

mount -o loop zdrv_400.sfs /mnt/data
cp -ax /mnt/data/* /
umount /mnt/data
Then reboot & see whether it's working.

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

Muggins, thanks a lot for your hint - I read a little about difference between full and frugal install and in the end decided to go for a frugal install where the sound card works flawlessly.