#1 Post by Aitch »

Hi Guys

I seem to keep coming back to this

With the new prescence for Puppy being 'assembled' by tombh
[ fantastico :lol: ]

I would like to see something like darrelljon's Puppy Family Tree,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20647

updated, to include missing links & a timeline/datestamp of when they
came out, and what the state of bugfixes was at last publish date [+ any other ideas]

Clearly this needs to be a community project, and some of you have a full history in your heads, where relative noobs like me, and total noobs, like those joining regularly weekly, could have a visual chart so as to get a better idea of where puppy came from, what puppy derives from what, which is best suited to older hardware we may want to give new life to, etc, and also, just because it 'needs doing'
I'm learning excel [yes, I know] as part of a CLAIT course and think I could cobble something up as a chart, but don't know if it could be converted to a suitable format for puppy/*nix use, so I'm open to advisement

I don't mind doing this as a collection post for input, and to see who else would be willing to join in, as I'm no artist/graphic designer

Any input gladly received

Aitch

WhoDo

Re: Puppy Family Tree - update

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Aitch wrote:Any input gladly received
You might consider using Freemind to create the relationship diagram. It's available as a dotpup from PSI. It will give you the freedom to add branches wherever necessary without being a graphic artist.

I've checked its export features for the resulting "maps", and it will let you save the map as html, xml, pdf, svg and a host of other web-compatible formats.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

darrelljon

#3 Post by darrelljon »

Sounds great. I'd like to help (feel free to begin with my original as a sort of template), but a collaborative element to it would be good too. What file format it should be presented in remains a question. Personally I favour PNG (for viewing), SVG/ODG (for editing or possibly GEDCOM) over RTF, PDF or XLS/ODS.

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

bump,

as I lost this thread!

Aitch

PS sorry, darrelljon
(feel free to begin with my original as a sort of template)
I was hoping someone who knew how to do it, would pick up the thread
Personally I favour PNG (for viewing), SVG/ODG (for editing or possibly GEDCOM) over RTF, PDF or XLS/ODS.
way over my head..........

Maybe something similar to can8v's wifi db?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28434

I was thinking [lately] of a dynamic puppy tree db from start to present, with working hardware tagged onto each version/derivative, so new users could see if anyone had tried & ironed out problems

any ideas anyone?

Is it possible?

Aitch

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy Family Tree - update

#5 Post by BarryK »

WhoDo wrote:
Aitch wrote:Any input gladly received
You might consider using Freemind to create the relationship diagram. It's available as a dotpup from PSI. It will give you the freedom to add branches wherever necessary without being a graphic artist.

I've checked its export features for the resulting "maps", and it will let you save the map as html, xml, pdf, svg and a host of other web-compatible formats.

Hope that helps.
Dia is an excellent diagram creator. A family tree type of diagram is exactly what Dia is designed for. Or any other kind of diagram. I have created a PET pkg for Puppy4, but haven't uploaded it yet. It can also export to many formats.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]