New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ronacc

#321 Post by ronacc »

I am trying to get pupeee b4 to boot from an sdhc card without much luck , I'm having the same problem as smoeky01 , starts to boot , loads kernel and drivers then cant find pup_301.sfs . I have reinstalled using puppy universal installer about 10 times tried different mbr's reformated the sdhc atleast 6 times . pupeee b4 is the only thing that has ever been written to that card , it is a brandnew toshiba 4gb highspeed sdhc , is the problem that I am formating it to ext3 , does it have to be fat16 or 32 ? and note that when it boots it is looking for pup_301.sfs not pup_301-eee.sfs which is what is actualy there ( though I tried renaming it , that didn't help) I have d/l'd b4 twice and burned it to 3 different cd's (all of which boot and run fine) . also I do not get the standard puppy boot message when trying to boot from the card so I can't try feeding it boot parms , the cd's do give the message , I have tried erasing the files after install and copying them back direct from the cd no help , what am I doing wrong ?

edit later in the day , I d/l'd and installed breezy for the eee on an sd card no problem . so why cant I get pupeee to work ?

edit 1 day later finaly figured out what I was doing wrong , my ignorance of the eee ( I only had it 2 hrs when I tried to install pupeee ) caused me to assume I should choose cf connected to ide for the place to create the files , pupeee did see the sd card there but the files apearently were corrupting . the correct choice is USB FLASH ( I thought that was for a usb stick rather than an sd card) I tried both fat 16 and ext3 both worked but ext3 seems to work better and faster . next hurdle I have 2gb ram but pupeee like xandros is only seeing 1 rafy's breeezy also only sees one can this be fixed ?

edit a few says later: again I have to plead mea culpa to ignorance (of puppy this time ) I had immeadately created a pupsave file so the "memory" display in the bottom bar was showing the remains of the pupsave rather than ram . top shows the correct value .

I am doing repeated edits so that others may profit from my errors .

jpa_cds

To get the touchpad to work.

#322 Post by jpa_cds »

8Geee

#323 Post by 8Geee »

[busted]

OK its pupEEE, meant for an Eee pc. Can I download the iso file to an Eee USB stick, and get syslinux to make the copy to the SD card by copying the /boot (or other directory) ISOLINUX file to the /root and renaming the latter copy to SYSLINUX? Just a start.

magerlab

#324 Post by magerlab »

it's much simplier!
just burn on to CD and boot any desktop computer and use Puppy universal installer to install on usb -pen drive
then boot EEE pc and install
read also here ( a very good review of Pupeee)
http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee ... ppy-linux/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#325 Post by Lobster »

This script GUI might come in useful to up battery life . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 826#192826
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8Geee

#326 Post by 8Geee »

magerlab:

no 2nd computer, and the Eee doesn't recognize ISO 9660 filing system (DATA cd-r). There's a way to do this for puppy, wondering if the pupeee can do this trick. After all pupeee is for the Eee PC.

Hedgehog

#327 Post by Hedgehog »

I am using a makeshift dvd drive on my eeepc.

I dont have an external dvd drive, but I do have an eternal hard drive case. I opened it up, and connected an internal dvd drive to it.(I really need to get an external case for the dvd drive.) I am running pupeee on it now. If i can get everything to work that I need, I will install pupeee to my eeepc.

Anybody know how well a smart card reader works with CAC's (command access cards) on puppy?

Jickel

#328 Post by Jickel »

Regarding boot times, I got an abysmal five minute bootup time from a frugal install on my 2GB Kingston Datatraveller, though a hdc=modprobe brought that down to a only slightly more acceptable 3m45s.These drives are slow, might buy a Corsair Flash Voyager soon to try out (and 4GB one is about 20 USD in sweden).

A full install on the SSD took 48 seconds to boot, but I switched to frugal before trying the modprobe trick on it. Without modprobe, boot time was a very dissapointing 2 minutes, but with that boot entry it's down to 48 secs, which seems to be the same everyone else is getting.

I only have Firefox installed on my user file, though I might try removing some apps and remastering the pup_xxx.sfs file for a hopefully faster boot. Anyone know if this might have any significant impact? What programs are safe to remove anyway, I heard printing is dependent on Abiword, for one thing.
Last edited by Jickel on Tue 20 May 2008, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

doaks

Fan Control

#329 Post by doaks »

Can anyone help w this. My Eee has fan on full. Pupeee 3b4

Thanks.

magerlab

#330 Post by magerlab »

to have a faster boot up you must add
hdc=noprobe to the line in grub

tony

#331 Post by tony »

My flash voyager gt (replaced once) is not seen in the front usb ports of my computer in linux and not seen at all in windows.
research befor you buy.

Regards Tony.

Aitch

#332 Post by Aitch »

Here is a response to an email I sent to a KLUG [my local], member:-
I have tried Puppy and I didn't like it much. Like most small distributions it felt outdated and clunky. I would recommend taking a look at Slitaz as it feels a lot more modern, despite being 22MB.

33sec to boot an EeePC? I hardly see how that's an improvement of the inbuilt Xandros :)

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM, xxxx@hotmail.cam> wrote:

"I was a big Fedora man, and now I've moved to Ubuntu entirely. Although I use my EeePC a lot,
and that's Xandros :)"
Spode - 22 May 2008 14:24:28
-----------------
My Original, which he was responding to:-
Hi, I've been following the klug thread from my mail box & when I saw this, I felt compelled to chip in

I joined klug a while ago but haven't managed to contact anyone yet, so this seemed like a good opportunity

I am also a Puppylinux forum member & they have an awesome version especially for the EEEPC

Here's a link to a review

http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee ... ppy-linux/

and the forum which currently shows people booting Pupeee in 33 secs!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=315

I wondered if Puppy linux has been discussed/tried by Klug members?

I had hoped to get to a meeting but, I'm without transport, a pensioner trying to keep up with technology, living in Chatham & meetings seem to be many miles away

Aitch
Just a bit of feedback....

Aitch

8Geee

#333 Post by 8Geee »

tony: try the back USB ports for the sticks.

Rob S

#334 Post by Rob S »

To use a USB port as a connection to a LAN and then to Internet, you need to have rndis-host module loaded. This is not catered for in the relevant wizard's driver list. Fixing this anomaly would be the best solution, but the alternative approach is to do the following:
1) Ensure that your modem is connected to the eeePC via an USB cable
2) Open a terminal window and enter the following:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep rndis     (This will have no response if module has not been loaded)
modprobe rndis-host    (Load driver module)
lsmod | grep rndis     (Response here will confirm that rndis-host module has been loaded)
3) Select the 'Connect to internet by network interface' wizard (via Setup entry on main menu) and you should see that an eth interface has been recognised
4) Click detected interface button and configure, etc.

Now you should have a fully functioning connection via USB to the Internet :-)

drbongo

Pupeee B4 or Puppy-eee

#335 Post by drbongo »

I have just given Pupeee B4 and Puppy-eee a try, booting from a USB flash drive and an SD card and both work well. The resolution, wireless networking, the volume, brightness and mute function buttons work. I would just like to know which is the latest version (presuming they are related) The Pupeee B4 has a yellowish background and black/grey menus etc, the Puppy-eee has a blue background with a bird and the standard grey taskbar and menus. I would also like to know whether there will be a puppy 4 gtk2 version anytime soon?

Keep up the good work, I think the eeepc is the way to get linux into the mainstream - its a pity the xandros distro supplied is so crap!

drbongo

mcewanw

dual boot with both XP and Puppy on internal flash

#336 Post by mcewanw »

I imagine the following dual boot method should also work with Pupeee and the EeePC:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 959#200959

StephenH

Re: Pupeee B4 or Puppy-eee

#337 Post by StephenH »

drbongo wrote:I have just given Pupeee B4 and Puppy-eee a try, booting from a USB flash drive and an SD card and both work well. The resolution, wireless networking, the volume, brightness and mute function buttons work. I would just like to know which is the latest version (presuming they are related) The Pupeee B4 has a yellowish background and black/grey menus etc, the Puppy-eee has a blue background with a bird and the standard grey taskbar and menus. I would also like to know whether there will be a puppy 4 gtk2 version anytime soon?

Keep up the good work, I think the eeepc is the way to get linux into the mainstream - its a pity the xandros distro supplied is so crap!

drbongo
I just got my EeePC 900 this week and have been playing with it and trying to customize it. I tried Pupeee B4, but I am having absolutely no success getting a network connection. :(

I assume most of the work and testing has been on the 700 series so far. Is there the possibility for a version geared toward the 900 now that it has been released?

StephenH

drbongo

Potential damage to internal flash drive!

#338 Post by drbongo »

I don't want to panic anyone, but: I have discovered that installing Pupeee to the internal flash drive of your eeepc MAY decrease its lifespan considerably. I say MAY because I am not certain but it is something that needs considering urgently.

As you probably know the eeepc has an internal flash drive and flash drives have a limited read/write capacity. When you install pupeee (or puppy) to a usb flash drive and/or sd card pupeee runs in PUPMODE=13 (look in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to check) this tells the computer that the storage is removable and should not be written to constantly - it writes on shutdown and/or every 30 minutes. However when I installed pupeee to my internal flash drive when I shutdown for the first time I was offered a choice of two save options - to file or drive. However the next time I rebooted and shutdown it said that the save file was mounted in the top layer and everything was already saved. This made me suspicious and I discovered that I was running in PUPMODE=6 which allows realtime read/writes. Other people have had the same problem with the original puppy if you look in the forums, but pupeee is specifically aimed at the eeepc and people installing it may assume it won't damage their internal flashdrive.

I am not certain that it will damage it, and there may be a technical explanation as to why not, but in the meantime I have decided to boot pupeee from the sd card and wiped the internal drive, which means it boots from the sd card without pressing escape and gives you 4G of space to store stuff. SD cards are cheap to buy and easy to replace unlike the hard drive of my eeepc.

I hope someone can provide a technical judgement of the effects of this. And maybe the creator of pupeee can take account of this with the next version. IF THERE IS ANY RISK INVOLVED THIS SHOULD BE PLACED AS A STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE PUPEEE THREAD!

I hope I am wrong!

drbongo

mcewanw

Re: Potential damage to internal flash drive!

#339 Post by mcewanw »

drbongo wrote:When you install pupeee (or puppy) to a usb flash drive and/or sd card pupeee runs in PUPMODE=13 (look in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to check) this tells the computer that the storage is removable and should not be written to constantly - it writes on shutdown and/or every 30 minutes. However when I installed pupeee to my internal flash drive when I shutdown for the first time I was offered a choice of two save options - to file or drive. However the next time I rebooted and shutdown it said that the save file was mounted in the top layer and everything was already saved.
Thanks for that info. I appear to have the same problem with the frugal installation I've made of Dingo to my Intel Classmate internal flash drive (I believe the same method is applicable to an Eeepc).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29580

cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE tells me that it is running in PUPMODE 12. I hope someone has a solution for this since I'd prefer running puppy from the internal drive if I safely can. I know there are ways of forcing PUPMODEs through modifying initrd.gz, but I'd rather not go to such lengths if I can avoid it.
Last edited by mcewanw on Tue 27 May 2008, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#340 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would like to believe that the developers of these ultra-light laptops have thought about the amount of wear and tear on their solid state drives. After all, a lot more people will use the pre-installed Xandros on their eeepc than will use Puppy. If they don't have to worry, why should we?