Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 04:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Website: Looks, Bugs, Wishlists
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 7 [100 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
tombh

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 07:16    Post subject:  

Mmm, so I see. It seems to be intermittent, there is a chance it could be to do with high traffic. I have emailed support to look into this. I'll keep you update with progress.
HairyWill

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 08:10    Post subject:  

I'm still having problems with intermittent dns resolution results

http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka gives
Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /imports/phpsessions) in /mounted-storage/home7/sub003/sc14300-FRIH/puppylinux/wikka/wikka.php on line 1150

http://www.puppylinux.org/ and index.html
redirects to
http://puppylinux.com/
index.php or index.htm gives the same 404 as below

http://www.puppylinux.org/admin gives a custom 404
File not found - could we help?
The requested URL /admin was not found here.
Please click here to search Puppy Linux sites
for what you need, or visit puppylinux.com.
(The server is being changed. Thanks for your patience.)

raffy

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 08:22    Post subject: mix-up  

Will, those outputs are from servage pages, so the old domain pointer must be working in those cases.

As to resolving the URL containing "wikka", maybe these cases have to be handled in the 404.php page:

puppylinux.org/wikka/ (it's there already, but does it go to the new wiki main page?)
puppylinux.org/wikka (no trailing slash)

Thanks.

tombh

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 09:14    Post subject:  

I've just spoken to support at Hostgator and the account is suspended due to "excessive CPU load". The formal email notification has been sent to WhoDo, so I only have a few details. It is not 100% certain that high traffic has caused this, there is a chance that it is just inefficient PHP code. However, it seems that the traffic was reaching 4000 visitors per day (for the front page alone) after the domain was redirected, which is a fair amount.

It would be good to know for certain what caused the CPU load, but it does seem we're going to need more power. I think it would be best to discuss this with Hostgator to see what they say, because it'd be worth getting a package that isn't going to do this to us again the future. Excessive CPU usage is not something I have had to deal with before so I'm not sure what the minimum requirements will be for a site such as puppylinux.org.

WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 20:13    Post subject:  

tombh wrote:
It would be good to know for certain what caused the CPU load, but it does seem we're going to need more power. I think it would be best to discuss this with Hostgator to see what they say, because it'd be worth getting a package that isn't going to do this to us again the future. Excessive CPU usage is not something I have had to deal with before so I'm not sure what the minimum requirements will be for a site such as puppylinux.org.

I have emailed you the ticket from Host Gator so you can see the cause. Basically, we chose an inopportune time to repoint the domain. Barry's announcement of Dingo 4.0 Final has hit Distrowatch at exactly the same time as the domain was repointed. The problem is on the Download page, where there have been 4000 requests in a short space of time.

Our CPU usage has been pegged at 25% of capacity. I presume that means we are sharing with 3 other sites. Usage went to 33% at times due to downloads. I have asked Host Gator to accept communications from you to sort out the underlying problems, if any.

raffy

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008, 21:28    Post subject: 404  

To begin with, the 404.php (missing URL catch page) queries Drupal for a matching wiki page. If there are many wikka visits, then this will certainly load the CPU.

How about a simple htaccess redirect to pupweb.org/wikka for puppylinux.org/wikka URLs, but I post in the skin of the old wikka the new/correct wiki URL? (I would need the recommended new wiki URL for this.)

This way, we minimize (avoid) the use of 404.php for wikka URLs.

EDIT: Just saw WhoDo's post. A static front page could help cope with visitors simply looking for download URL. There are also many feeds in the current front page - I wonder if they use CPU time (i.e., if scripts are run by the feeds)?

nic2109

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2008, 05:44    Post subject:  

This thread might be relevant to this issue :-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=196203

It's a suggestion for putting BitTorrent into all Puppies with the option to start seeding whenever you boot.

This is a longer-term fix but would spread out the server load, so might help us avoid being suspended again. Especially if Distrowatch could quote a Torrent link as well as ftp and http.

Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2008, 10:30    Post subject:  

@tombh/raffy/WhoDo

hi guys,

don't know if this may be any use for the website[s] you're working on?

http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/

Aitch
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2008, 20:37    Post subject: New Website back LIVE!
Subject description: Tom works miracle at Host Gator

Just a note of congratulations to Tom for the hard work he put in last evening to sort out the new website and its problems with CPU usage.

The new website is now back up and LIVE!

Problems have been handled in the short term with caching and throttling on downloads, to ensure we don't exceed our 25% CPU allocation again. I'm sure Tom will be refining things over time to take care of the longer term issues.

I've had a browse through the new site and everything looks just great! A great big THANK YOU to Tom and his team of wiki maintainers and helpers - Lobster, HairyWill, prit1, oli, and everyone else.

tombh

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2008, 20:45    Post subject:  

Thanks Whodo Smile And a big thanks to everyone else too, there's a lot of you who have genuinely put a lot of work into this project.

Well goodness me, that was quite a ride! First hostgator suspended the account, then WhoDo was in bed so couldn't answer the ticket, then when he was up, I was in bed and so the re-opened account just underwent the same CPU overload as before and went under again. Then I waited all day for Hostgator to re-re-open the account, so I could get my foot in the door to turn off all the heavy PHP scripts. Then there were a few niggles with optimisation and throttling but finally the site is up and running and I have reduced the CPU load from 20 to 1, not bad.

I'm away all day tomorrow, but when I get back I'll be able to slowly start turning things back on to see what is causing the hikes. We'll get there yet Smile

Onwards and Upwards.

PS The account was suspended for CPU overload not bandwidth usage, puppylinux.org does not provide any ISOs itself so torrenting would not really help this site directly. Thanks for the idea though.

PPS Hairywill, SSH is re-enabled if you want to keep an eye on CPU load whilst I'm away.

tombh

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 10:27    Post subject:  

Here is the To Do list.

Please feel free to add to it Smile

canerigal

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 13:46    Post subject:  

@Tombh and the gang - The new puppy website looks great. Very Happy

One suggestion:

Possibly you need a newby direction link at the very beginning - or just after the "Welcome to Puppy Linux Community" such as

New to Puppy Linux - head to the Community and murga's forum for all the help you'll need to get started; or, a new tab start - help - howto or whatever would work best.

It looks like new users are starting to ask questions by posting on the new wikki. It may need to be a little clearer for the linux challenged people to know where to start.

Sharon
HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 15:30    Post subject:  

sharon
Thanks for the suggestion, criticism is very helpful.
We had noticed this was a problem and Tom put a link to the forum on the home page. This doesn't seem to be explicit enough, we need to make it more obvious.

Bert

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 17:44    Post subject:  

Hi guys,

Just discovered in "links" the "Developer News" is still pointing to puppyos.net/news. This should be changed to http://puppylinux.com/blog/

HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 18:31    Post subject:  

Bert wrote:
Hi guys,

Just discovered in "links" the "Developer News" is still pointing to puppyos.net/news. This should be changed to http://puppylinux.com/blog/
done, thank you. If you want me to add editor rights to your account so that you can fix these things yourself send me a PM.
Page 3 of 7 [100 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: