How to configure GRUB to boot Toutou Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
pup

How to configure GRUB to boot Toutou Puppy?

#1 Post by pup »

Hello,

I have a problem trying to launch toutou linux.

Toutou is installed as recommended in the install procedure on hda7 (directory puppy 301).
Grub is installed on a floppy disk and on the boot sector of the hda7 partition. There are 3 options to launch toutou : win, toutou with kernel method (linux 1) and toutou with chainloader method. (linux 2) Unfortunately only Windows works !

Here are the menu.list file and the errors reported by grub. I am a beginner and would appreciate some help.

Fichier menu.lst
# Le fichier de configuration de GRUB '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# est genere par 'grubconfig'. Fri May 2 15:34:21 2008
#
# Lancer la section globale de GRUB
# timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# Fin de la section globale de GRUB
# La configuration de la partition bootable commence
title Windows (on /dev/hda1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# La configuration de la partition bootable est finie
# La configuration de la partition bootable commence
title Linux 1 (on /dev/hda7)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /puppy301/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppy301
initrd /puppy301/initrd.gz
# La configuration de l'autre partition bootable est finie
# La configuration de partition bootable commence
title Linux 2 (on /dev/hda7)
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# La configuration de partition bootable finie

The errors :
For scenario Linux 1 :
Error 2 : bad file ou directory type

For scenario Linux 2 :
Error 12 : Invalid device requested

Thanks you very much.

Pup

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Launch Puppy (Toutou) from the Live CD and try to mount hda7. Does it contain a folder named puppy301? Does that folder contain the Puppy files vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupxxx.sfs and zdrvxxx.sfs?

Then boot off the floppy disk. When the GRUB menu comes up, press the 'c' key to get the GRUB command line.

Type : find /puppy301/vmlinuz

Does GRUB find it at (hd0,6)?

pup

GRUB

#3 Post by pup »

Hda7 includes the followings files : initrd.gz ; pup301toutou.sf ; vmlinuz ; zdrv_301.sfs ; idehd

When I try to find vmlinuz using the command line in grub I receive the following answer :
Error 15 : file not found

I don't understand why ?! Thanks for your help.

Comment : I also installed Grub4dos in the MBR and have the same problem !

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

How is hda7 formatted - fat32, ext2, NTFS?

Try using the 'find' command to find a known file on one of your lower partitions.

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Hi

Maybe just a typo, but.....
Hda7 includes the followings files : initrd.gz ; pup301toutou.sf ; vmlinuz ; zdrv_301.sfs ; idehd
should be sfs, yes?

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

Aitch

pup

#6 Post by pup »

Yes it is pup301toutou.sfs. Sorry.

I have 3 ext3 formated partitions : hda7, hda8, hda9
Puppy is in the hda7 partition. Puppy save file is in hda8. Nothing is in the third partition.
I have also 3 NTFS partitions : hda1 (Windows), hda5 and hda6 (data)

When I place a file in the root of hda9 partitions (file menu) and try to find it using the grub find commnad, grub can't find it. Is there a problem with ext3 file system ? Apart that Toutou/Puppy works very well from the CD and use correctly the puppy save file in hda8.

Gerard

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

Code: Select all

# La configuration de partition bootable commence
title Linux 2 (on /dev/hda7)
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
makeactive
chainloader +1
I'm curious about this section as chainloader is usually required to boot windows, but not linux.
GRUB has two distinct boot methods. One of the two is to load an operating system directly, and the other is to chain-load another boot loader which then will load an operating system actually. Generally speaking, the former is desirable, because you don't need to install or maintain other boot loaders and GRUB is flexible enough to load an operating system from an arbitrary disk/partition. However, the latter is sometimes required, since GRUB doesn't support all the existing operating systems natively.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

@muggins:

Here is a scenario where a Linux can be booted with the chainloader command. Suppose you have a multi-OS system that is managed by a master GRUB setup. You are installing a new Linux in a partition. Its installer will also want to set up GRUB but you don't want to risk having it mess up your master version. And you don't know the specific commands to manually update your master menu.lst. So you let the new Linux install its own GRUB in the partition boot sector. It then becomes a completely self-contained OS. To boot it, you just need to add another entry to the master menu.lst that uses the chainloader command.

By the way, this method appears to be the "approved" way of multibooting Vista and Linux using EasyBCD. This presumes that you can safely shrink your Vista partition to make room for a Linux in the first place.

@pup:

In your other posting, I suggested that you try the 'find' command on a primary partition. Did that ever work? I can't think of a reason why your logical ext3 partitions should not be visible to GRUB.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 11 May 2008, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#9 Post by Aitch »

@pup
When I place a file in the root of hda9 partitions (file menu) and try to find it using the grub find commnad, grub can't find it. Is there a problem with ext3 file system ?
Not that I've seen, anywhere
So, since you haven't succeeded in getting grub to recognise it, maybe you aren't using it?
If you are, move anything in it to another partition, [?label 'old_hda9'?] & try deleting & rebuilding that partition, it may just be the fat table awry
Alternatively try ext2 & see if that works
If it does, paste back the files you moved
These are just ways of trying to isolate the cause of the problem, fishing for clues, yes?
Which partitioning software did you use?

Aitch

pup

#10 Post by pup »

@muggins

I tried Grub in the partition just as I could not boot directly from the kernel.

@rcrsn51

The find command doesn't work in grub placed in the floppy disk nor in the MBR using Grub4Dos.

@aitch

I try to find files in my three ext3 partitions without success.

I used Parted Magic CD which use GParted.

I would mention that my ext3 partitions are extended partitions not primary partitions. Has that some importance ?

I'll delete one partition and build a ext2 one and retry the find command.

Thanks.

pup

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may be your problem!

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/20 ... t34_s.html

The new Parted Magic may have formatted your partitions with an incompatible version of ext3.

Try reformatting with ext2.

pup

#12 Post by pup »

I reformated one of my partition (hda9) to ext2 and copied a file called menu.

I tried to find this file with grub from puppy. It doesn't work !

Here attached is a screen copy of the test.

Thanks for the advices.

Pup.
Attachments
grub_2.jpg
(63.61 KiB) Downloaded 649 times

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is odd. Unmount hda9 and run Puppy's Gparted. Delete this partition and recreate it as a primary ext2 partition. Then check it with find.

pup

#14 Post by pup »

Hda9 can't be mounted as a primary ext2 partition. Only as a logical partition (it is the only option proposed by G parted). In fact the partition is inserted into an extended partition and deleting it doesn't seem sufficient to recreate a primary partition.

Pup

pup

#15 Post by pup »

What looks strange to me is that when I run the find command I hear the floppy working as if it was searching for the file ?!

Pup

Aitch

#16 Post by Aitch »

Hi Pup

Nothing strange about that, the poor filesystem has no knowledge of where anything is!
It is just going where it is told
The find instruction is basically saying, 'go everywhere' for this 'xxx' because I, the user, don't know where it is
So why not look in the floppy, or the waste bin or the whatever file....
Is 'xxx' there? No, then go to the next place
The fact that you know you want it to find something on a particular place called a hard drive, and on that hard drive in a partition, [like a room in a house], is no different to the waste bin to the searching probe
It just looks for a match

Now what it should be finding is what you should have told it, & where you should have put it
But I don't think you did
I don't think you prepared your h/d for it, so I don't think it is there
I don't think the house has any usable rooms
Hda9 can't be mounted as a primary ext2 partition. Only as a logical partition (it is the only option proposed by G parted). In fact the partition is inserted into an extended partition and deleting it doesn't seem sufficient to recreate a primary partition.
Logical partitions don't boot - primary ones boot, and you should have probably at least 3 primary partitions
The fact you have an hda9 already, suggests hda1-8, but you don't have hda1-8, you probably only have hda1, hda5or6, 8 &9
and if hda5/6 is your extended partition, it is a container for the logical partitions, 8 & 9
so you see only 3, maybe are partitions which puppy can use
If hda1 is a windoze file, then only 2;
& hda9 is screwed, so is there an 8, at all?

Is this close to what's going on?

I think you need to try and copy off your windoze files that you need, my documents etc, and completely re-format your h/d from scratch, as it may be easier than hoping it will be ok, while you change it's size, to allow building the rest of the fat structure/partitions
You will need some time & patience & if you want to keep windoze, an install/rescue CD

How does that sound?

search for partitioning/formatting & installing to hard drive

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Aitch