Puppy 4 DINGO

Please post any bugs you have found
ARAN

Changing the Keyboardlayout don't work

#61 Post by ARAN »

Hello !

One of the most used input methods for Puppy Users (the Keyboard) don't work for me and a asume for a lot of other people too !

I am running at the moment Puppy Dingo 4 with Xvesa.

Changing the Keyboardlayout using the Programm

Menu -> Desktop -> Choose Locale

don't has any effects on the keyboard layout switching !

Whats wrong with changing the Kayboardlayout !
Using Puppy Linux with a different keyboard layout isn't really funny.

melhundo

Re: Changing the Keyboardlayout don't work

#62 Post by melhundo »

ARAN wrote:I am running at the moment Puppy Dingo 4 with Xvesa.
That is the problem. Don't even touch Xvesa.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

ARAN wrote:Hello !

One of the most used input methods for Puppy Users (the Keyboard) don't work for me and a asume for a lot of other people too !

I am running at the moment Puppy Dingo 4 with Xvesa.

Changing the Keyboardlayout using the Programm

Menu -> Desktop -> Choose Locale

don't has any effects on the keyboard layout switching !

Whats wrong with changing the Kayboardlayout !
Using Puppy Linux with a different keyboard layout isn't really funny.
I presume that you want to change the keyboard layout for your country? Then you have done the wrong thing. You need to run the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard.

...which works perfectly with Xvesa, I just tested it.

Just click on the 'setup' icon on the desktop and all setup choices are neatly presented.

Basides, I don't understand something. The first time that you boot Puppy, a dialog box comes up and asks you what layout you want, and you choose that. So, what's the problem?

Do you mean something else by the words "keyboard layout"?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

kirk

#64 Post by kirk »

arrrrgggghhhh Wink
The reason it was changed was to allow quotation marks
Kirk can you try leaving 170, 177 as they come in the iso and replacing lines 79 and 80 with
INIT1M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init1 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"
INIT2M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init2 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"
Thanks, that fixes it!

Also, /root/ghttpd is still there. There is no executable, just the remains of the web server package. It should be deleted. If you want a small web server, Monkey works well. On your blog, you said it was a official pet package, but I don't see it on ibiblio. I'll attach it just in case you want it.
Attachments
monkey-0.9.2.tar.gz
(61.46 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

tempestuous

#65 Post by tempestuous »

BarryK wrote:One of the contributors to the Network Wizard has put that code in that puts up a message about WPA not being supported
Yes, that was Dougal and me.
Whether the Network Wizard should warn about modules not supporting WPA is up for discussion (I think it should), but the wag-profiles.sh script definitely must be updated whenever new wifi modules are introduced - because wpa_supplicant needs a different "-D" (driver) parameter depending on what module is in use.
You will notice that the WPA section of the wag-profiles.sh script not only defines the modules which are WPA-compatible, but more importantly it specifies what "-D" parameter to pass to wpa_supplicant. The modules and "D" parameters that are currently listed in the wag-profiles script are absolutely correct thus far ... but of course, recent kernels now provide some new wifi kernel modules which must be incorporated.

How to know what -D parameter applies to each wifi module? Careful reading of the wpa_supplicant README and also the documentation provided with the source code of each wifi driver. I discussed this at length with rarsa when he first wrote the Network Wizard. Since then, I have helped Dougal add rt61/rt73 (Ralink) and r8180/r8187 (Realtek). We also added WPA2 support, which requires a significantly different configuration file for wpa_supplicant.

I just downloaded Puppy-4.00-k2.6.25 to have a look at the new wifi modules.
These are the new modules which need to be added to the Wizard:
D parameter "wext" -
ath5k
b43
b43legacy
iwl3945
iwl4965
rndis_wlan (Broadcom USB)
rt61pci
rt73usb

D parameter "ipw" -
rtl8180
rtl8187

Notice that the new rt61pci and rt73usb modules use the "wext" D parameter, whereas the old rt61 and rt73 modules use the "ralink" D parameter. This is because the new modules are from a completely revised development stream; the "next-generation" rt2x00 series.

I cannot guarantee that the new driver parameters I have specified are completely correct. I do not own all of these devices, and the information is difficult to glean from the web. Testing may prove me wrong on some of these.

tempestuous

#66 Post by tempestuous »

veronicathecow wrote:2.6.25 Kernel, MD5 sum correct ... Intel D201GLY2 MB ... Live CD will not boot
Puppy-4.00-k2.6.25 is working fine on my Intel D201GLY2. I'm posting from it now.
I'm booting from an internal DVD drive which is connected as the slave IDE device. This might make a difference.
geneven wrote:"With the .25 kernel, the bcm43xx module is replaced by b43 and b43legacy modules."
Well, they don't work for me. I guess I'll have to stay with the older kernel.
It would help if you could report the output of "dmesg" so we can see any error messages relating to how the b43 module loaded.
jonyo wrote:Didn't see the native rt2570 available
This has been replaced by the "rt2500usb" module in the 2.6.25 kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#67 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous wrote:
BarryK wrote:One of the contributors to the Network Wizard has put that code in that puts up a message about WPA not being supported
Whether the Network Wizard should warn about modules not supporting WPA is up for discussion (I think it should), but the wag-profiles.sh script definitely must be updated whenever new wifi modules are introduced - because wpa_supplicant needs a different "-D" (driver) parameter depending on what module is in use.
You will notice that the WPA section of the wag-profiles.sh script not only defines the modules which are WPA-compatible, but more importantly it specifies what "-D" parameter to pass to wpa_supplicant. The modules and "D" parameters that are currently listed in the wag-profiles script are absolutely correct thus far ... but of course, recent kernels now provide some new wifi kernel modules which must be incorporated.

How to know what -D parameter applies to each wifi module? Careful reading of the wpa_supplicant README and also the documentation provided with the source code of each wifi driver. I discussed this at length with rarsa when he first wrote the Network Wizard. Since then, I have helped Dougal add rt61/rt73 (Ralink) and r8180/r8187 (Realtek). We also added WPA2 support, which requires a significantly different configuration file for wpa_supplicant.

D parameter "wext" -
ath5k
b43
b43legacy
iwl3945
iwl4965
rt61pci
rt73usb

D parameter "ipw" -
rtl8180
rtl8187

Notice that the new rt61pci and rt73usb modules use the "wext" D parameter, whereas the old rt61 and rt73 modules use the "ralink" D parameter. This is because the new modules are from a completely revised development stream; the "next-generation" rt2x00 series.

I cannot guarantee that the new driver parameters I have specified are completely correct. I do not own all of these devices, and the information is difficult to glean from the web. Testing may prove me wrong on some of these.
tempestuous,
Thanks very much for figuring that out. I didn't have a clue how to do that, but really wanted it done for 4.00final. I've added the extra modules in the appropriate places in the wag-profiles.sh script.

linuxblues

wireless

#68 Post by linuxblues »

The older kernel detects Compaq Presario wireless as bcm43xx. Scan along with a full working wireless is up and running. It sometimes takes a couple of tries for the wizard to find the network though.

The newer kernel doesn't find the chip set. Nothing appears in pwireless.

Will need to stick with older kernel here in order to have internet.
A world without wires is so much more fun!

linuxblues

cypher

#69 Post by cypher »

Tried Dingo with a Classmate PC and a Dell Inspiron 6400.

It worked like a charm in both machines, everything seemed to work perfectly.

The only thing is that in the Dell Inpiron 6400 WinXP never loaded again. :(

The Classmate now runs with Puppy 4.0, I did set up the wifi without problems (in 3.0 rt2570 hangs up the Classmate PC)

Thanks!
cypher.

prit1

#70 Post by prit1 »

I tested my Averatec 3225HS (with rt2500 module) on Puppy 2.17.1 versus Puppy 4.00 SC1.
2.17.1 - Wireless (with WEP) works on every reboot. Wireless connection is fast
4.00 - Wireless (with WEP) works only after doing the Network Wizard after every reboot. Wireless connection is very slow.

jonyo

#71 Post by jonyo »

I'm getting good speed with rt2500 using the win driver.

jonyo

#72 Post by jonyo »

tempestuous wrote:
jonyo wrote:Didn't see the native rt2570 available
This has been replaced by the "rt2500usb" module in the 2.6.25 kernel.
I see, thx. Was surprised when it auto loaded & tried it out .
Didn't have any luck with it in the past but for some reason the rt2570 often worked. Everything looked good (in the net wiz & wireless scanner) but wasn't connecting with the browser. Seemed like maybe a DHCP prob, but the win driver works. I'm not familiar with the pwireless scanner & was looking for rutilt.

I'll go back to it ..see if I make any headway.

jonyo

#73 Post by jonyo »

Dloaded the latest firefox-2.0.0.14.tar.gz.. Cl;icked on it & xarchive 0.2.8.6 opened up. Clicked on select all & extract but nothing happens.

EDIT - Tried again with a fresh dload & all works. Think I had a bad dload on the first attempt.

ARAN

#74 Post by ARAN »

BarryK wrote: I presume that you want to change the keyboard layout for your country? Then you have done the wrong thing. You need to run the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard.

...which works perfectly with Xvesa, I just tested it.

Just click on the 'setup' icon on the desktop and all setup choices are neatly presented.

Basides, I don't understand something. The first time that you boot Puppy, a dialog box comes up and asks you what layout you want, and you choose that. So, what's the problem?

Do you mean something else by the words "keyboard layout"?
Thats right Barry !
I want to change the Keyboard Layout.
Your solution however didn't help me.

The very big problem is that puppy at the first boot or by using the setup wizard provide for the puppy users only a very limited choice of keyboard layout's.

As a example only:
Here is the list of the Keyboard Layouts that the Programm
"Menu -> Desktop -> Choose Locale" provide.
Its my favorite way to setup the Keyboard Layout in Puppy.

http://www.hungry.com/~pere/linux/glibc/MAINTAINERS.txt

Compare only now the amount of the Keyboard Layouts that you can select for the German Layout.
Its more than 9 Choices
How many German Layouts can be selected from the Setup Wizard in Puppy Linux.
It's just one

The problem is that the Programm "Menu -> Desktop -> Choose Locale" works great. It downloads all Keyboards Layouts you select your preferred Keyboard Layout, the selection is saved and puppy reboot without any problems. It looks like something with the Configuration of the Keyboardlayout is wrong.

capoverde

#75 Post by capoverde »

[quote="BarryK"][quote="capoverde"]Running Puppy 4 Dingo k2.6.21.7:

surprise, a plugged SD card isn't detected (....)[/quote]

I'm also running Dingo with k2.6.21.7. I plugged in an SD card, ran Pmount, there it is, mounts ok.

So, no problem. Is your SD card recognized in Pup 3.01?[/quote]

Sorry Barry, it turned out to be a local hardware-related issue: I had connected a printer to what actually is a *shared* USB port, which automatically disables the connection to the internal card reader (the mainboard manual solved the mystery). Unplugging the printer took the card reader back to life. :oops:

rokky

Missing ACX Wifi Module

#76 Post by rokky »

BarryK wrote:
tempestuous wrote:

D parameter "wext" -
ath5k
b43
b43legacy
iwl3945
iwl4965
rt61pci
rt73usb

D parameter "ipw" -
rtl8180
rtl8187

tempestuous,
Thanks very much for figuring that out. I didn't have a clue how to do that, but really wanted it done for 4.00final. I've added the extra modules in the appropriate places in the wag-profiles.sh script.
I did not see the ACX module for my Hawking 54g card, which I am using right now to post this from Puppy 3.01, so I know it can be done.

Interesting, too that the no WPA support message would pop up when the wifi card is not even detected/known...

rokky

rokky

Missing ACX Wifi Module

#77 Post by rokky »

BarryK wrote:
tempestuous wrote:

D parameter "wext" -
ath5k
b43
b43legacy
iwl3945
iwl4965
rt61pci
rt73usb

D parameter "ipw" -
rtl8180
rtl8187

tempestuous,
I did not see the ACX module for my Hawking 54g card, which I am using right now to post this from Puppy 3.01, so I know it can be done.

Interesting, too that the no WPA support message would pop up when the wifi card is not even detected/known...

rokky

tempestuous

Re: Missing ACX Wifi Module

#78 Post by tempestuous »

rokky wrote:I did not see the ACX module for my Hawking 54g card, which I am using right now to post this from Puppy 3.01, so I know it can be done.
Yes, Barry has not provided the acx100 drivers for Puppy-4.0. I suggest you wait for Puppy-4.1 when the 2.6.25 kernel is due for a slight upgrade.
rokky wrote:Interesting, too that the no WPA support message would pop up when the wifi card is not even detected/known...
The WPA warning only appears when the user selects "WPA" or "WPA2" encryption, and a non-WPA-supported wifi module has been selected.

ralphv

#79 Post by ralphv »

Pidgin in 4.00 final isn't pm-ing. Xchat can do it, though

Ralph

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

ralphv wrote:Pidgin in 4.00 final isn't pm-ing. Xchat can do it, though

Ralph
What! That's the very latest Pidgin in Dingo! Along with all its bloat ...I reluctantly left out the much slimmer Ayttm.