#41 Post by BarryK »

From the commandline you can use the mp text editor:

# mp /proc/bus/usb/devices

to poke around in that file.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

big_bass

#42 Post by big_bass »

BarryK wrote:
JustGreg wrote:I have tried a frugal installation of Dingo with kernel 2.6.21.7 and everything worked fine. No problems were encountered. I have downloaded Dingo with kernel 2.6.25 with a frugal installation and tried to connect to my wireless device (driver rt73USB). Using the connection wizard, I surprised to see the message that the rt73USB driver does not support WPA. This is probably a driver problem. The same problem was encountered with kernel 2.6.24 (dingo 3.96, I think). Is it possible to use older version of rt73usb driver (one used with 2.6.21.7) with the newer kernel? This will be a problem also for the Intel Classmate. The Intel Classmate wireless device also uses the rt73usb driver. Thank you in advance for any help on this one.
One of the contributors to the Network Wizard has put that code in that puts up a message about WPA not being supported ...but, how to know that?

I was just going to comment "I hope that the message about not supporting WPA hasn't been hardcoded into the script for certain modules", when I decided to take a look at the wag-profiles.sh script. It has this:

Code: Select all

# Dougal: find driver and set WPA driver from it
	INTMODULE=`readlink /sys/class/net/$INTERFACE/device/driver`
    INTMODULE=${INTMODULE##*/}
	case "$INTMODULE" in 
	 hostap*) PROFILE_WPA_DRV="hostap" ;;
	 rt61|rt73) PROFILE_WPA_DRV="ralink" ;;
	 bcm43xx|ipw2100|ipw2200|ipw3945|ath_pci|ndiswrapper|zd1211|zd1211b|zd1211rw) PROFILE_WPA_DRV="wext" ;;
	 r8180|r8187) PROFILE_WPA_DRV="ipw" ;;
	 *) # doesn't support WPA encryption
	   Xdialog --wrap --title "Wireless interface configuration" --msgbox "Note: The interface you have selected uses the module $INTMODULE,\nwhich does not support WPA encryption." 0 0
	   PROFILE_WPA_DRV="" ;;
	esac
Curses, it has been.
I really don't want to have to patch that bit of code for the changing situation with wireless modules. They are in a state of constant development, and now we have a bunch of new ones with the 2.6.25 kernel.

Can anyone think of a better way to do the above? or, do we just have to update it regularly?
Barry K
strangely I had a problem with wifi with my xvesa fatfree 3.01
IRC user neur1 told me version 3.00 worked for him and version 3.01 wifi no

so for him I modified the version 3.00 wag profiles script and added a driver to it just in case and added xorg back burned another CD and all was fine but without the edited script ? I used the standard 3.01 script un edited and it worked this time I never found out why :? since it worked I just forgot about this until I saw this report

but just for the record there was a change here in the wag profiles script from version 3.00 to version 3.01
I hope this can help you somehow

the re burn of the CD fixed my problem with that I hope you have the same good luck
with this

this below image is what changed from version 3.00 to version 3.01 note I hand edited the script and only added the zd1211rw to the 3.00 script I noticed there was a change for the USB too

PS Your puppy 4 looks great I love the new look and many of the new apps you added :wink:

big_bass
Attachments
3.00 script I added the zd1211rw to it .png
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 1381 times
Last edited by big_bass on Sun 04 May 2008, 03:06, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#43 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote: You are the second person reporting this problem. I have a suspicion that the problem experienced with the .23/.24 kernels and usb has re-emerged.
I had the same bootup lock of the mouse with Ubuntu hardy heron which as far as I can tell uses kernel 2.6.24

Will try the suggested probe when next booting with the 2.5 kernel in a while :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kirk

#44 Post by kirk »

Pupdial has been broke for me since beta1. My init2 string is Init2 = AT$QCMDR=3, but shows up as AT3. I guess the $ is messing it up in beta2 - sc1. If i change line 177 from:

<input>echo \"${INIT2M}\"</input>

to

<default>\"${INIT2M}\"</default>

like it was in beta1, then it works correctly as it did in the past. I guess line 170, which is init1, would have the same problem.

P.S.:

Going to post the kernel source for 2.6.25 or a sfs file of it?

John Doe

#45 Post by John Doe »

here is my report:

I tested both versions on 4 different machines with all types of configurations.

found a couple small problems. some have already been reported, but I'll keep them in there just for informational purposes.

1-in version 2.6.25 USB keyboards and mice do not seem to work when plugged into USB1.1. I'm using a mouse right now with USB 2.0 and it works ok. Perhaps a missing module in initrd?

2-in version 2.6.25 kernel, I have trouble with sound on one machine. It works with 2.6.21.7. I compared the modules loaded by each version on the machine in question and found that 2.6.21.7 loads three more than 2.6.25 does.

snd
soundcore
snd_hwdep

the first two appear to be missing ("Fatal: Module * not found", when I modprobe) and the third loads but doesn't fix the problem.

On the other three machines, sound works fine with either version.

3-bcw43xx driver is missing. The firmware looks like it's there, but it isn't in the list of modules under the networking wizard. *note, I read what you wrote about b43, but that says it's for a PCMCIA BUS and mine is on the board in a laptop. I don't see b43legacy in the list.

4-Hotpup (under 2.6.21.7) only lists the first optic drive (dvd/cd) when two are present. Same behavior whether they are sr0,sr1 or hda0,hda1 (SCSI/IDE ). Both drives are listed ok in 2.6.25 on both machines in question.

5-Had some seamonkey crashes when running Flash Player. Tried to diagnose by launching seamonkey from the shell but haven't gotten it to crash again. The only info I've gotten is this warning:

Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8

I'll keep trying to get an error, but for the time being I'm just chalking this one up as the flash player is a POS. Hopefully they fix it in the next version.

6-can't copy and paste between rxvt and geany.

other than those few things, all is perfect. Looks like the best release yet.

rerwin

Log formatting in rc.modules

#46 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I was going to wait for later, but since you requested easy-to-fix issues...

In improving the formatting of bootsysinit.log, the "loading" messages did not get indented as I recommended. Please insert two spaces before the text in lines 124 and 174 of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, as:

echo "  loading module $MODULE"
Thanks.
Richard

prit1

#47 Post by prit1 »

@Barryk: My Averatec 3225 HS laptop with RT2500 wireless module works perfectly well in Puppy version 2.17.1. But in the Dingo 4.00. I have to run the Network Wizard everytime I login and only then the wireless network would start working. This is inspite of the profile being saved. This happens for both kernels.

geneven

BCM43xx

#48 Post by geneven »

"With the .25 kernel, the bcm43xx module is replaced by b43 and b43legacy modules. "

Well, they don't work for me. I guess I'll have to stay with the older kernel.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

You are the second person reporting this problem. I have a suspicion that the problem experienced with the .23/.24 kernels and usb has re-emerged.
:cry: Suddenly realised - I am using a ps2 mouse and keyboard (both lock) During the bootup at the choose locale, I can not scroll down - no keyboard response. Once I got to the desktop but the mouse was not working . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jonyo

#50 Post by jonyo »

Just a quick report. Compaq sr2020nx (AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 2.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE) 2 gig ram, d-link dwl-g122 ver b1 usb wifi dongle using the win Netrtusb .inf (rt2500) with wep 64 hex. Thing's worked on everything I've tried right down through to 2.12.

Didn't see the native rt2570 available so dloaded the enhanced 1.6.1 ..but haven't sorted that out yet.

Have to use xvesa cos I lose the mouse cursor with xorg (prob goes back to 2.15 for me on this box), Apparently someone else does also with the same onboard graphics. Haven't tried the Nvidia driver yet though.. Thought I had a fix suggested by prehistoric the other day but the prob came back, but is much better.

At first glance, quite a few changes here from 3xx soo..have some catching up to doo..

dingo k2.6.25 setup with linNwin & xpsp2
Last edited by jonyo on Sun 04 May 2008, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

HairyWill

#51 Post by HairyWill »

BarryK wrote:Will,
I'm working through your suggestions. I don't understand something about your problem with vi. What sort of file causes Rox to run vi? If I click on a text file, Geany starts, but you have stated that "clicking on various text files" causes an error about vi. I don't understand.
Try clicking a README file in a source package. Rox lists its mimetype as text/x-readme
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

veronicathecow

#52 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, I am afraid this Sanity Check has bounced 8-)

2.6.25 Kernel, MD5 sum correct. disk verified on blowing. Intel D201GLY2 MB

Live CD will not boot

Sticks at booting the kernel.
Tried adding acpi=off result the same
Tried pfix=ram and acpi=off result same.

Previous version booted okay with acpi=off
Thanks Tony
P.S. fascinating about windmill please lets us know more and wish you well. I'm installing a water turbine and have a wood stove.

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#53 Post by urban soul »

BarryK wrote: One of the contributors to the Network Wizard has put that code in that puts up a message about WPA not being supported ...but, how to know that?

Can anyone think of a better way to do the above? or, do we just have to update it regularly?
I just PM'ed you and Will a new version of wag-profiles.sh. I disabled this 'warning'. I am working on auto-dedecting the encryption type (and as a requisite testing the driver for WPA support). I just need one more week or so.

Urban
Last edited by urban soul on Sun 04 May 2008, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

HairyWill

#54 Post by HairyWill »

kirk wrote:Pupdial has been broke for me since beta1. My init2 string is Init2 = AT$QCMDR=3, but shows up as AT3. I guess the $ is messing it up in beta2 - sc1. If i change line 177 from:
<input>echo "${INIT2M}"</input>
to
<default>"${INIT2M}"</default>
like it was in beta1, then it works correctly as it did in the past. I guess line 170, which is init1, would have the same problem.
arrrrgggghhhh ;-)
The reason it was changed was to allow quotation marks
Kirk can you try leaving 170, 177 as they come in the iso and replacing lines 79 and 80 with
INIT1M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init1 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"
INIT2M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init2 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"

Warning I haven't put that in a code block to avoid stretching the page.

Does anybody else know of any interesting characters that might break gtkdialog. An obvious candidate would be < > I really hope there are not any connection strings that require these.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

divisionmd

Dual Core

#55 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

Just wanted to say this:

Dual core and quad core computers works perfect with Dingo RC 4!

Now when i type "cat /proc/cpuinfo" it lists all cpus!

Great work Barry!

Best regards,
Johan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#56 Post by BarryK »

John Doe wrote:5-Had some seamonkey crashes when running Flash Player. Tried to diagnose by launching seamonkey from the shell but haven't gotten it to crash again. The only info I've gotten is this warning:

6-can't copy and paste between rxvt and geany.
It's an old bug that SeaMonkey crashes under certain circumstances. I can reproduce it in youtube by closing a tab when a video is still running.

The daemon that automatically copies the selection buffer to clipboard is no longer there.
For rxvt, highlight some text, then in geany paste it by pressing the middle button. This works via the selection buffer, not the clipboard.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#57 Post by BarryK »

HairyWill wrote:
BarryK wrote:Will,
I'm working through your suggestions. I don't understand something about your problem with vi. What sort of file causes Rox to run vi? If I click on a text file, Geany starts, but you have stated that "clicking on various text files" causes an error about vi. I don't understand.
Try clicking a README file in a source package. Rox lists its mimetype as text/x-readme
Ok, fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#58 Post by BarryK »

HairyWill wrote:
kirk wrote:Pupdial has been broke for me since beta1. My init2 string is Init2 = AT$QCMDR=3, but shows up as AT3. I guess the $ is messing it up in beta2 - sc1. If i change line 177 from:
to
arrrrgggghhhh ;-)
Kirk can you try leaving 170, 177 as they come in the iso and replacing lines 79 and 80 with
INIT1M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init1 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"
INIT2M="`cat /etc/wvdial.conf | grep '^Init2 = ' | cut -f 3-12 -d ' '| sed 's/"/\\\"/g;s/\\$/\\\\$/g;'`"

Does anybody else know of any interesting characters that might break gtkdialog. An obvious candidate would be < > I really hope there are not any connection strings that require these.
Ha ha, a little hiccup. If you guys can sort that out pronto, that'll be great. I'm itching to get 4.00 "out the door" as I want to get going on the next version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#59 Post by BarryK »

HairyWill wrote:
to
arrrrgggghhhh ;-)

Will,
I put your fix into pupdial. It seems ok to me. I don't have access to dialup from here, but I can at least test that it saves to /etc/wvdial.conf ok, and reloads, gtkdialog is not broken.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Log formatting in rc.modules

#60 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Barry,
I was going to wait for later, but since you requested easy-to-fix issues...

In improving the formatting of bootsysinit.log, the "loading" messages did not get indented as I recommended. Please insert two spaces before the text in lines 124 and 174 of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, as:

echo "  loading module $MODULE"
Thanks.
Richard
Ok, I've done that.

Note, I didn't put in some of your last changes, which were mostly cosmetic, as I ran into some potential issues that I wanted to think about, but decided to leave that for after 4.00. You will notice that I put in your code to unload some modem modules, then commented it out -- thinking that partly through, I saw some logical issues, so decided to just freeze everything as it was.