Windows Mobile 6 Devices Bark?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Earwicker

Windows Mobile 6 Devices Bark?

#1 Post by Earwicker »

Good Morning, Campers!
A friend walked into the shop last week, hating on Linux as usual. In his hand he had an HP IPAQ 500 Voice Messenger, and said with a sly grin that he would gladly buy a linux machine if he could get internet through his handheld just like he easily does in Windows.

Around and around we went with ttuuxxx's fire-hydrant, Wnop, Seamonkey 301, Lighthouse... There is no joy in Mudville.

Scrounging around the net, I found that Mandriva has addressed this with it's Spring 2008 version which gives the connection option under networking setup. So it is possible under Linux.

http://www.fsdaily.com/EndUser/Synchron ... ated_links

So are we going to sit idly and just TAKE this? It even offers compiz-fusion!!!

Please help me sell this system to this infidel by getting puppy to bark WM 5-6. I believe in you!

Everitt

#2 Post by Everitt »

This look promising. I'm not sure if the current version supports USB ICS, but apparently the latest svn does.

Tracing the dependences by hand sugests that dbus is needed. Now, I know that puppy 1,2&3 series lack dbus, but IIRC it's been added to the latest Dingo releases, so I suggest that is the place to start.

It would also seem that once of the dependencies depends on HAL, which, to my knowledge, no puppy has. A search of the dev blog returns nothing constructive. A quick look over the dependecies isn't too daunting though.
You will need the latest patched kernel (Does Barry still patch the kernel?), including config.

Not having such a device I'm afraid there isn't a huge amount I can do to help, but I wish you luck, and keep us informed.

tempestuous

Re: Windows Mobile 6 Devices Bark?

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Earwicker wrote:he would gladly buy a linux machine if he could get internet through his handheld just like he easily does in Windows.
There are many and varied connectivity options available with a smartphone such as the iPAQ 500.
Your query does not make it clear what form of connectivity your friend is seeking.

Regarding accessing the internet, this would fall into 2 categories:
1. Using the iPAQ's GPRS/Edge wireless internet connection as an internet gateway for a Puppy-powered computer.
Typically, this would involve a USB connection between the iPAQ and a Puppy computer.

But I'm guessing your friend wants the other main possibility:
2. Using a Puppy-powered computer as an internet gateway for the iPAQ.
The connection between iPAQ and Puppy could be via:
A. wifi
B. bluetooth
C. USB. The USB option would be just plain silly, since you would be physically tethered to the Puppy computer, and then it would make no sense to use the iPAQ's tiny interface.

All of the connectivity options I have mentioned are possible right now with Puppy. The only components not already contained in Puppy are the bluetooth libraries and utilities. Get them as dotpets here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25009

The Mandriva link you supplied is about synchronisation, which is a separate issue to internet connectivity.
For synchronisation you first need an application in Puppy which understands the Personal Information Management (PIM) data of your iPAQ.
In Linux distros with Gnome this would probably be Evolution. In Linux distros with KDE this would probably be Kontact/KOrganiser.
These will not work in Puppy. The best PIM application for Puppy, in my opinion, is JPilot -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 212#168212
There are no reports on the forum of anyone successfully synchronising WindowsMobile data with JPilot, but it's possible in theory with the addition of the SynCE libraries. Forum member John Doe provided a JPilot/SynCE package here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17440
Then the actual connection would, as before, be either wifi, bluetooth or USB.

Earwicker

connectivity via usb

#4 Post by Earwicker »

Well, we want to get internet from the phone to the puppified computer. There is some usb stuff going on, which I do not at all understand. A greatly simplified howto would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your continued interest and support in a great project.

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

right now, as we speak, I'm working on moding the connectionwizard to do just this.

i've got a UT Starcom 6700 (verizon) with WM6 and i can get pupdial to recognize the modem when i set the phone up properly.

here is a screenshot. i'll post up a pet package soon.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 594#193594

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

go here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 795#193795

You should be able to get your phone recognized by Pupdial with just a couple clicks of a fresh boot.

Whether or not you can connect after that....that's a different story.

Earwicker

John Does Pupdial

#7 Post by Earwicker »

But the hp ipaq 500 provides high speed internet through the usb. Is that what were aiming for, or do we just want dialup through a cell phone?

Earwicker

On Second Thought

#8 Post by Earwicker »

Got the connxion wizard pet. Ran it. Can't figure how to use it. Dont see it anywhere....WAHHHHHHH :|

stifiling

#9 Post by stifiling »

i see the connection wizard has been dl'd 43 times, wonder what's the success rate. I happen to be apart of the "recognized, but dialing out is a different story" class. for i can not get it to connect.

I have the Sprint 6800 windows mobile phone and of course it tethers to my laptop for internet connection no prob in windows. wish there was a way to get it goin in puppy.

rokky

Maybe this wvdial.conf will help?

#10 Post by rokky »

[Dialer Defaults]
Stupid Mode = on
Idle Seconds = 0
Carrier Check = no
Init1 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Phone = #777
Username = <cellnumber>@vzw3g.com
Password = vzw

I usually have to watch /var/log/messages to see which ttyUSB[0-9] gets settled upon.

This sort of works on Ubuntu 8.04 once I get the "standard" Gnome Network Manager and WM6 to stop trying to make an NDIS type connection (for PIM syncing I think) - not sure exactly how, but after killing several pppd processes one after another it seems to get settled down. This requires wmodem.exe running on the WM6 side. I have a heavily "cooked" ROM from ppcgeeks.com that includes that and a bunch of other networking goodies (some of which may be causing the extraneous NDIS connections).

I think the ipaq modprobe helps, but would not swear to that. I have thrown too many differing solutions at this, and not sure which help, and which get in the way.

I tried to make a clean break from the Ubuntu confusion by using Puppy 4 a few times on another PC with the 6700, but it was so different from wvdial, and did not seem to find /dev/ttyUSBx, so I was not sure how to proceed. I don't remember what the package was, but seems like there was more than one choice - pupdial does not ring any bells though.

John Doe, did your updates make it into the final 4.0 release? Should I look for pupdial on the menus? Maybe I can take another shot at it with your stuff if so.

HTH,
rokky

John Doe

#11 Post by John Doe »

rokky wrote:John Doe, did your updates make it into the final 4.0 release? Should I look for pupdial on the menus? Maybe I can take another shot at it with your stuff if so.
Sorry, no stuff this time around.

The update I was planning never made it past the forward looking statement phase.

Had a few PMs with one forum member on the matter and then i just dropped off the radar.

I'd love to push us that far but finally ran into "information overload".

Seem to recall getting to the point where I was convinced that the problem was the difference in the way the 2.4 kernel vs the 2.6 kernel assigned device nodes. Then warmer weather arrived and I just started wandering...

kuapao

Re: Windows Mobile 6 Devices Bark?

#12 Post by kuapao »

Earwicker wrote:Good Morning, Campers!
A friend walked into the shop last week, hating on Linux as usual. In his hand he had an HP IPAQ 500 Voice Messenger, and said with a sly grin that he would gladly buy a linux machine if he could get internet through his handheld just like he easily does in Windows.

Around and around we went with ttuuxxx's fire-hydrant, Wnop, Seamonkey 301, Lighthouse... There is no joy in Mudville.

Scrounging around the net, I found that Mandriva has addressed this with it's Spring 2008 version which gives the connection option under networking setup. So it is possible under Linux.

http://www.fsdaily.com/EndUser/Synchron ... ated_links

So are we going to sit idly and just TAKE this? It even offers compiz-fusion!!!

Please help me sell this system to this infidel by getting puppy to bark WM 5-6. I believe in you!
I am not certain this matches what your friend was looking for. It took me a while to get my WM6's Internet Sharing to work with Puppy 4.0 Dingo via USB, but it's working now and thought I'd write up my experience. Items marked with * have an sfs or pet file that I can share (someone tell me the appropriate locations to upload these???).

Summary:
The key is to 1) load a working version of rndis-host module, then 2) use the Network Wizard to check for the rndisX adapter and 3) configure with static ip or DHCP.

Problem was, the default version rndis-host module does not seem to facilitate communication with the WM6 device. So, I had to compile a known working version of rndis-host, cdc-ether and usbnet modules. This can be found online and was packaged as "usb-rndis-lite" from synce sourceforge website.

What I did (LONG WAY, see EASY WAY at bottom!):

1. Compile the USB-RNDIS-LITE module:
a. locate and download devx_400.sfs*, then add to boot-up load list
b. locate, download and extract matching kernel source (in my case, I made it into an sfs called puppylinux-2.6.21.7-kernel-src.sfs, which I also added to boot-up load list *)
c. created symlink pointing /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/build to the location of the extracted kernel source files
d. restarted Puppy...to allow the sfs files to load
e. locate, download, compile and install svn (subversion) client (apr-1.3.3-i486.pet, apr-util-1.3.4-i486.pet, svn-1.5.2+with-ssl_noAPR+noAPRutils+upgradedNeon-0.28.3-i486.pet *)
f. use svn client to check-out the source for usb-rndis-lite with this command:
svn co https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnro ... rndis-lite

2. run the clean.sh script provided with usb-rndis-lite to remove the original module files and then compile and install usb-rndis-lite * (make, make install)

3. load the new rndis-host module via:
modprobe rndis-host

4. use Network Wizard to configure the new rndis adapter
* PM me if you want these interim files

Since I went through the trouble of compiling and making the sfs and pet files, I thought I'd share a simpler procedure (haven't tested it yet, though).

EASY WAY (untested! use at your own risk):
0) save the originals
a. backup the original cdc_ether.ko, usbnet.ko and rndis_host.ko
b. unload the original modules via:
rmmod rndis_host
rmmod cdc_ether
rmmod usbnet
1) load a working version of rndis-host module
a. simply install the pet file I made: usb-rndis-lite_rev3571-i486.pet (pre and post scripts available, too)*
b. load the module in current session:
depmod -ae
modprobe rndis-host
2) start Internet Sharing on the WM6 and connect USB tether to Puppy
3) use the Network Wizard to check for the new rndisN adapter
4) configure with static ip or DHCP
5) surf the web!
6) optionaly, use the Boot Manager to mark the rndis-host module for startup and/or create auto-configuration script for the rndisN adapter

Hope this helps!

My specs:
HTC XDA IIs (aka Siemens SX66, HTC "Blue Angel") running Windows Mobile 6
SX66-USB adapter (aka dongle, tether)
Puppy Linux 4.00 Kernel 2.6.21.7 on i486
Attachments
orig_usbnet-cdc_ether-rndis_host.tar.gz
Original version of rndis_host.ko, cdc_ether.ko and usbnet.ko kernel modules (supplied with Puppy 4.00 Kernel 2.6.21.7). Save for back-out purposes.
The original location for these *.ko files is /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/usb/net.
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
usb-rndis-lite_rev3571-i486.pet
New version of rndis_host.ko, cdc_ether.ko and usbnet.ko modules.
Enables tethering w/ WM6 pda-phone (&amp; Puppy 4.00 Dingo). WARNING: Has no dependency checks or cleanups!
Installs the new *.ko files at /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/extra.
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

andersonmkr

Compiling rndis_host for HTC Diamond

#13 Post by andersonmkr »

Help! I cannot connect Puppy 4 to my HTC Diamond ICS.... Eventually found the following URL.....

http://myhowtosandprojects.blogspot.com ... modem.html

.... Only to have my hopes dashed again as I seem to be having all sorts of problems when trying to compile (despite installing all the required components).

Can anyone help by posting a .pet for this? (See steps below)

<<Step 1 - Install Pre-requisites
open a terminal (use same terminal in next steps)

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install subversion

Step 2 - Get the Source

Code:
$ svn co http://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroo ... rndis-lite
cd usb-rndis-lite/

Step 3 - Modify the source (Diamond only)

Code:
$ gedit rndis_host.c

on line 524, find this bit

Code:
if (tmp <>hard_mtu) {
dev_err(&intf->dev,
"dev can't take %u byte packets (max %u)\n",
dev->hard_mtu, tmp);
goto fail;
}

change it to this

Code:
if (tmp <>hard_mtu) {
dev_err(&intf->dev,
"dev can't take %u byte packets (max %u)\n",
dev->hard_mtu, tmp);
retval = -EINVAL;
/* goto fail;*/
}

save the file

Step 4 - Compile and make and install

Code:
$ make
$ sudo ./clean.sh
$ sudo make install

Step 5 - Start the Internet Connection Sharing

On OLD Tytn II's open Comm Manager on your phone and click on the Internet Sharing Now make sure USB is selected and choose connect

On Diamonds it's a seperate program called Internet Connection Sharing

Step 6 - Plug in the Phone (USB)

Plug the phone in, once the Phone has a data connection the Internet connection sharing will say connecting, then connected.

If this takes a while the dhcp may timeout and you will have to run the following command.

Code:

$ sudo dhclient

You should then see that you have an ip on the rndis device>>

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

rndis_host modified for HTC Diamond.
Attachments
usb-rndis-lite-r3633-HTC-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(13.96 KiB) Downloaded 937 times

andersonmkr

HTC Diamond ICS

#15 Post by andersonmkr »

THANKYOU!!! :D

I am connected to the internet via my Diamond to write this... I was beginning to lose faith with the simplicity of puppy....NO MORE![/img]

Dark_Fire

#16 Post by Dark_Fire »

tempestuous and kuapao, Thank you so much!

I have a HTC TyTN II and I am currently posting this through it. I would like to say thanks and just let you know that all is working.

Apreciate all your work.

Dark_Fire