Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

Although I'm guilty of maintaining a Yahoo email account myself and they have just reported Q1 profits up threefold, you need to remember that they are already in bed with BT and that Ballmer insists he is going to screw them. Google has questionable business practices all of their own, too. Connecting to or through these organisations is very bad news.
These are not happy times. Bl**dy capitalists are out to screw us all. This is going to be a long and painful fight for yon patriots. Best expedient is to stay well away from all those big companies with greedy shareholders to satisfy and asset-stripping venturists out for everything they can grasp in their dirty mits.
All the foregoing is why (most) we are gathered here, today. Amen.

nutts4life

#42 Post by nutts4life »

Sage,

you're right, but i'm afraid those days are gone. As long you can back up your data locally, then your just going to have to admit that the big guys are winning. Web 2.0 is the way to go. Just keep your commodore 64 at the ready for when the end of the world is nigh.

What ever happened to the world where everybody cared about every one else, when money didn't matter and life was ... well.... happy.

Safe as...

n4l

Sage

#43 Post by Sage »

keep your commodore 64 at the ready
I know where I can get hold of a Nascom board...

Sage

#44 Post by Sage »

Well, that brought the conversation to a dead stop. Hands up all those folks who are old enough to remember the humble Nascom. What fun it was looking at all the registers on the screen. Unfortunately there wasn't much else to be done with it as it lacked an OS. Kids don't know how lucky they are these days. Didn't pater say something like that sixty years ago?

John Lewis

#45 Post by John Lewis »

Hello Tinawina,

I have aTp-Link USB wireless dongle. I had it working in Puppy. From memory I think I found how to do it on one of the Puppy Forums here.

It involved using ndiswrapper and installing two files from the installation disk in a particular order.

Sorry I can't recall the exact details but you should find it with a search.

John Lewis

John Lewis

#46 Post by John Lewis »

tinawina,
Further to my last post

This post is being made via wireless using the Tp-link Tl-WN620G.

Heres what to do.

1) Open the Driver CD and go to the winXP drivers.look for athfmwdl.inf
and tl-wn620g.inf.
2) open a terminal in that directory and type the following:

ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf (you should get a message that it is
installing.)

now ndiswrapper -i tl-wn620g.inf (you should get message it is
installing.)

Type modprobe ndiswrapper.

3) plug in the TP-Link device. The light should start to blink.

Type iwconfig and you should see wlan0.

now click the puppy connect icon, look for wlan0 click it and proceed to set up the interface.

I have just done this a few minutes ago using Puppy 3.0 on a disk. and it is working now as you see.

You will need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local by adding modprobe ndiswrapper so that ndiswrapperis loaded at start up.

I think you will need to start Puppy before you plug in the stick. perhaps not.

Hope this helps,

John Lewis

Aitch

#47 Post by Aitch »

Hi Sage
Hands up all those folks who are old enough to remember the humble Nascom. What fun it was looking at all the registers on the screen
"Please, sir," is my natural response to that
but yes, I have a walking stick & glasses, too :lol:
My favourite was the cp/m'd trs80
Always thought it a shame dec didn't get into supporting micros

we could all be using cp/m instead!

sorry for the aside topic, it was him :lol:

Aitch

jonyo

Re: TP-Link USB: Pupscan Interface Info recognizes...somethi

#48 Post by jonyo »

tinawina wrote:P.S. I'm looking into other adapter options and came across this one: Comtrend RT2500 54 Mbps Wireless PCMCIA card (Ralink RT2500 chipset, for which there is a GPL driver, with no proprietary firmware needed). Wondering if this might be an answer - any thoughts?
Rt2500 (d-link & linksys usb adapters) using the win drivers & ndiswrapper (c/w pup) is pretty much what i use. Works great on everything from 2.11 to 3.01 with wep 64 hex.
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 29 Apr 2008, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#49 Post by smokey01 »

nutts4life wrote:
Pupeez is for ease of use and i feel that it's actually easier to use online web apps than to use local apps.

google apps and zoho apps are seriously impressive and easy to use and free.

google email + yahoo email is far easier to use than the having to setup a pop3 account.

n4l.
n4l, I agree the web apps are getting much better these days however, what they don't provide is offline creation of messages. If they do I'm not aware how to do it. I do like GMail but if I could write ten messages then only spend a minute or two sending and receiving I would be very happy. Time on line can cost quite a lot of money in some locations.

I also like to be able to save some of my messages locally.

I also agree with sage, we are controlled by too many greedy companies. When Windows took too much of my computing control that's when we parted company and I haven't been happier. Thanks to Barry and the rest of the guys like yourself, there are better alternative available.

Sometimes we just need a little push. Remember the last time your HDD crashed? It always made me angry at the time but gave me the opportunity to clean up the system.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Smokey

cat

german keymap

#50 Post by cat »

Hej nutts4life!
I appreciate your approach of designing a low-end-machine puplet including Opera, really the ideal configuration for me. Thanks!
I found that there is a minor issue with the german keymap, though (had the same problem with Damnsmalllinux, so I guess it's a faulty keymap base; no problems with this in Puppy 3.01): [shift]3 should result in §, but I get # instead. Since I occasionally use this in passwords, I'd appreciate an update in versions to come.
I haven't explored Pupeez in full detail, but I'm looking forward to it. First impression is more speed than original PuppyLinux on my Celeron 400, so a big thumbs up from me! :D

tinawina

TP-Link USB Adapter is UP AND RUNNING

#51 Post by tinawina »

Thanks John Lewis! I am typing this note using Puppeez and my TP-Link USB adapter! Wow - i think it's been about 2 weeks of attempts. Sheesh!

John - your post was right on target. One thing that might be helpful to other folks trying to use this adapter: the CD that came with my adapter did not include the tl-wn620g.inf file. Weird but true. I typed that filename into google and came up with this site where you can download the complete drivers and etc. for free (you have to go through about 6 or 7 annoying ad "offers"...). Here's the site:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/d ... tion=filfo

With these files everything John wrote is all you need to do. Thanks again John for your specific instructions and to everyone else who gave advice. Much appreciated!

sojourner

#52 Post by sojourner »

I keep getting an error message when I try to access http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeez/

Is there another download site for getting the Pupeez download?

Thanks.

John Lewis

#53 Post by John Lewis »

"Thanks John Lewis! I am typing this note using Puppeez and my TP-Link USB adapter! Wow - i think it's been about 2 weeks of attempts. Sheesh! "

Hello tinawina,

Glad to help you get up and running.

I found the information about the files and the order to load them in here in the Puppy forum somewhere. Unfortunately it didn't say how to load them though. So my contribution is really just to collate the information provided by others.

Enjoy,
John Lewis

jonyo

#54 Post by jonyo »

Dunno why, but sometimes when you look at a file in win, it doesn't show as an .inf file, but in linux, the same file does show as an .inf file.

I open the files in win & sometimes then, you can see if it is an.inf file or not.

Aitch

#55 Post by Aitch »

@sojourner

link down

I've pm'd nuts4life

Aitch

nutts4life

#56 Post by nutts4life »

Aitch, thanks for pointing that out. I don't understand why the directory structure isn't working anymore.

Get it from:
http://puppylinux.ca/members/index.php?dir=Pupeez%2F

Instead, or

http://puppylinux.ca/members/

and click on Pupeez.

Thanks,

nutts4life.

micah1_8

Loving Pupeez, but...

#57 Post by micah1_8 »

Kudos on an excellent puplet! I'm really liking pupeez for it's simplicity and light weight. I've not really missed most of the apps you've removed. I agree with replacing the chat software with an online app, it seems to make sense to me, and I love Opera as a web browser. I will be installing the gimp, though. I'm running this pupeez on a Gateway Solo 2150 and have noticed a few snags. Some problems I've been having:

Games don't load. <not a big problem, just noticed.
Sound doesn't work. <not specifically a pupeez problem, I've noticed it with other versions of puppy. Still haven't found a fix.
Won't play .mpg or .avi files <need libraries loaded? How?

Otherwise, it's a great little distro and I look forward to more development.

nutts4life

#58 Post by nutts4life »

Keeping you up to date.

I haven't lost touch with you fellow pupeez 1.0 users. I'm taking all your comments down.

At the moment i'm working on a completely new pupeez based on puppy 4.0.

It's going to be very different from pupeez 1.0, but will have the same common goals:

- Larger (designed for frugal install on a 256Mb RAM PC)
- Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Abiword, Fotox
- I've decided to remove a music player as i don't think this fits with the philosophy.
- xfce4
- Support for most multimedia codecs

This time i'm going focus on more simplicisty and seperate a technical user from the person who just wants to use the software.
I will also be adding the ability to remote support the OS using VPN and VNC software.

It's going to be a couple more months. But hold tight, it's looking great so far!

thanks,

n4l

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

Couple of suggestions:
FF3 - maybe, maybe not. Please review the sixteen alternatives in puppyluvr's '12 browser' in this section. There are better, smaller, faster. A lot of folks around here prefer Opera - including YT.
Thunderbird - definitely not, a veritable dinosaur, nothing but trouble, feature-lean. That branch of Mozilla were gifted Eudora, the professionals' first choice, a year or so ago, but so far have failed miserably to bring it to the Linux table. In the meantime, Claws/Sylpheed is well-liked, but there is a plethora of others.
MM codecs is excellent. Xfce is the connoisseurs' preference every time, but please be sure to check that it contains the complete settings manager suite and that this is accessible - don't laugh, you'd be amazed at some of the dumb attempts at modifying it abound in supposedly competent distros, including F9, would you believe!

Aitch

#60 Post by Aitch »

jonyo wrote:Dunno why, but sometimes when you look at a file in win, it doesn't show as an .inf file, but in linux, the same file does show as an .inf file.

bit of info for you, mate, it's a simple matter of 'show hidden files'

on an explorer page, click tools/folder options/view & tick box 'show hidden files & folders'

[I find it helps if you enable 'show full path' as well, to see your directory paths]

or, at dos prompt; attrib -s -h

that's if you really need it to find a driver if using ndis, for example

Aitch