TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#121 Post by john biles »

Hello ragaman,
First to compile Applications from their source code you need the development package "devx_214.sfs" to suit puppy version 2.14 on which TEENpup 2008 is built.
You will find it here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/

Also here is some info on installing it in TEENpup 2008 when you have TEENpup 2008 installed to your Hard Drive.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22701

As for your sound card can you give any specifications.
Someone else on the forum may also have the same model sound card and have got it working with Puppy 2.14/TEENpup 2008. This link may be of some help to you.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8816
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Zeppis

#122 Post by Zeppis »

Hello. I praised the previous edition of TeenPup a lot when I tried it. I didn't get to use it for many days before TeenPup 2008 came out.

I like TP2008, too. Only it seems to have a lot more issues than the previous version. Maybe it's just my computer. Who knows.

Main 2 issues:

1) Closing tabs does not work in Seamonkey. I can't close a single tab, nor all of them. I have to close the browser entirely.

2) Shutdown problems after using Transmission BT client. Computer won't power down. Says "Sending SIGTERM to all processes" and goes no further. After only surfing and checking e-mail, the computer shuts down just fine. I don't know if the problem occurs with other programs besides Transmission. I'm downloading the torrents onto an NTFS partition. That might have something to do with it.

I have the savefile pup_save.2fs (512M) and the main pup_214.sfs (or whatever it was) on an NTFS partition as well. Windows XP is installed and I use the CD to boot puppy when I need it.

I know I can fix Seamonkey by installing Firefox. No clue how to fix the shutdown problem. Then again, it's no big deal to hold down the powerbutton for 4 seconds...

Just thought I'd let you know about these small issues... you've done a good job and I hope you keep it up. Cheers,
J.S.

john biles

#123 Post by john biles »

Hello Zeppis,
I did most of the testing of TEENpup 2008 with Seamonkey version 1.1.7 (no tab problem?) and when version 1.1.8 was released as a bug fixed version of 1.1.7, I decided to include it in TEENpup 2008.
I only discovered the TAB problem after TEENpup 2008 was released. I've tested Seamonkey version 1.1.9 released after TEENpup 2008 and it still has the same problem.

As for "Transmission" I will have to run some experiments and see if I can fix it.

setecio

#124 Post by setecio »

I noticed that if you change the page hit ranking on distrowatch to the last 30 days (instead of 6 months) , TEENpup weighs in at no. 63 :)

crabbypup

#125 Post by crabbypup »

okydoky guys, i recently set up a flashdrive for booting teenpup2008 for one of my teachers ( kingston 2gb u3 drive, fat32+iso???). he tried to boot his computer off it, and it did not run pupserialdetect (no keyboard map selector). it skipped directly to the x server chooser wizard, with no working keyboard! any thoughts? i told him to try booting it again and seeing if it solved the problem, but i wasn't around when he did that, and i haven't talked to him since.(he is also going to try it on his personal box at home and see if it works) i have no idea what his hardware is.
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.

john biles

#126 Post by john biles »

Hello crabbypup,
I have tested TEENpup 2008 on my 1 GB Memory stick with no problems.
If you have a copy of Puppy 2.14 it might be worth testing that on your usb stick to see if the problem is with either the original puppy 2.14 or TEENpup 2008?

crabbypup

#127 Post by crabbypup »

i got him to repartition his drive with a 700mb fat16 and the rest as fat32. the puppy files(except the save file) on the fat 16. the save file will go on the fat32 partition. i got him to do this because of comments i saw on the forum that said it was easier to set up a fat16 drive to boot. he said that the live cd worked on his home pc, but when we tried it @school, it didn't work(as noted before). i will try it again today on my lunch break. i think this will fix it, but i'll post again if there are problems.

crabbypup

#128 Post by crabbypup »

i think the serial detect problem is whith his motherboard maybe, but that would not make sense, since it worked on his much newer keyboard and mainboard at his house(so he says) the keyboard and mouse he was using were wireless usb ones i believe.

john biles

#129 Post by john biles »

Hello crabbypup,
I have 5 PC's I run my tests on and TEENpup works on all of them. I gave a work mate a copy of TEENpup because his Windows PC is full of Virus's. The PC isn't that old, but he can't even get TEENpup to boot. Sadly it appears that TEENpup won't work on every PC like most other Distro's out there.

I hope you find an answer, maybe you could list the model of the PC and Keyboard as someone else on the forum may be using the same hardware and might be able to help.

crabbypup

#130 Post by crabbypup »

I believe the wireless keyboard is a microsoft and the one with problems (wired) is a compaq ps/2 with media and other internet/application shortcut keys. i am not sure about other hardware (it is not mine). teenpup works off the cd on his home machine and we are attempting to get a usb stick (noted in a post above) to boot on his home machine. but i haven't worked on it lately. i will attempt more on my lunch break.

DLWood

How to single-click desktop icons??

#131 Post by DLWood »

I've searched through the TEENpup menues and this thread, and can't seem to find out how to enable single-clicking the desktop icons instead of having to double-click them. The orig Puppy 2.14 is single-click for everything, I think.

It messes me up shifting back and forth. If you start the file manager, then it's single-click inside it.

Big thanks to anyone who knows the answer.

bosley

#132 Post by bosley »

Right click in a ROX window and chose "options".
Should be the pinwand menu entry.

DLWood

Thanks!

#133 Post by DLWood »

Thank you bosley, that did the trick! :D

crabbypup

#134 Post by crabbypup »

it doesn't work on his machine. but i will try all the common things. including telling him to get a new flashdisk.

Aitch

#135 Post by Aitch »

Ha Ha Crabbypup

I have snaffled your 'avatar' for my own purposes cause it made me laugh

still you didn't make it, did you, so that makes 2 of us

You'll see it scattered about the forum every now & again

Aitch :wink: :lol:

crabbypup

#136 Post by crabbypup »

yeah, i just searched 'free avatar' and looked through the first site it came up with. :) but i might put up a custom one soon.

Aitch

#137 Post by Aitch »

my avatar is what happens when you run windoze
Yep, that's why it makes me laugh

It's like looking in a mirror :lol:

one of my favourites - bit big, though can't be rsed to make it smaller

aitch
Attachments
smile.gif
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 1470 times

crabbypup

#138 Post by crabbypup »

haha! that's good.

ronacc

wireless for the eeepc

#139 Post by ronacc »

I am trying to build the wireless driver for the eeepc so I can run teenpup2008 on it with wireless access . I have installed devx _2.14.sfs as mentioned earlier in this thread , when I run make in the dir where I have the wireless driver sources I get this error
sh-3.00# make
make -C work/L2-1.0.40.4 BUILD_KERNEL=2.6.18.1 KSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18.1
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb1/distros/puppy/teenpup/build/atl2/work/L2-1.0.40.4'
Makefile:102: *** Linux kernel source not configured - missing version.h. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb1/distros/puppy/teenpup/build/atl2/work/L2-1.0.40.4'
make: *** [build] Error 2
sh-3.00#

any guidence would be appreciated.

crabbypup

#140 Post by crabbypup »

it looks like it can't determine the kernel version, so doesn't know what to do with the files? maybe different versions for different kernels?
just a thought.