Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nutts4life

Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**

#1 Post by nutts4life »

Pupeez version 1.0 - http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeez/

"Simple, Elegant and Fast"
- Pupeez is aimed to users who just want a linux that works for large percentage of tasks they do everyday.
- Pupeez is aimed at users who just want a media internet PC.
- Pupeez is aimed at 'technophobes', parents and grand parents.

With pupeez you can.

Browse the Internet
Read/Write Documents
Listen To music
Retrieve, view and edit pictures.
Play Games.

Pupeez is,

Simple:
- Pupeez doesn't care what the application is called it is what it can do.
- Pupeez is designed for one application for one task

Here’s the list for those who care:

Internet / Mail and Contacts - Opera 9.25 with Flash 7 and linked to Reaplayer
Word Processing - Abiword
Image Viewing - GQView
Image Editing - Fotox 0.37(Find your photo in GQView and right click 'Edit in Fotox')
Listen to Music - BMP
Stream/Watch Video - Realplayer 10

PDF Viewer - epdfviewer
Text pad - Leafpad
Calculator - Galculator

Games - GemGem, Bubbles and TK mines

- The menu system has been re-designed to make it as simple as possible
- All 'technical' applications have been removed.

Elegant:

- Pupeez uses a cut-down version of Ezpup. A fantastic add-on to make the interface look slick.
- The User Interface has been designed to be as efficient and intuitive as possible.
- Hotpup mounts any drive as a icon on the desktop. Superb work by Dougal

Fast:

This is where the most of my time was spent. The size of the puplet.
Pupeez is only a 77Mb iso and it's built using puppy 2.17 (using the same kernel as 3.01 and version 4).
I've spent a lot of time cutting out unnecessary applications, images and library to achieve a 58Mb pup_217.sfs file.

PUPEEZ WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT TO RUN ON A 128MB, 300Mhz Computer.
PUPPEZ is built to be FAST.

The idea is that you can transform your old computer and hand it to your Parents, Grandparents using Pupeez.
Or if you want a simple PC to browse the internet, play some music or look at your photos, this is puplet for you.

Credits:
Barry K - I can't thank you enough for a great distro and a superb 'unleashed' building system. Just amazing.
Caneri - For hosting my iso.
John Murga, Raffy - Thank you for your help both in inspiration and advice.
Sage - For all-round banter.
Any user who has made a puplet. People underestimate the work that needs to be put in.
All the other puppy users who have helped me over the last four months.

Known Problems:

- I couldn't decide whether to add support for printing. So although i've added some printing packages, i haven't tested it yet.
- The settings-focus menu item on the menu shouldn't be their, it maybe a bug in icewm, or I maybe just being dumb. Here's my forum post for this:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27806
- To save space and speed, i only installed Flash 7 with opera. If you would like to upgrade (supported and tested on opera 9.25) i will provide a .pet soon.
- I had to modify the xdg menu system heavily, unfortunately if you install a new app, it will not appear in the menu. I will post a new thread to explain how to add a new menu item manually.

I look forward to hearing all the issues and bugs you find on the forums. This my first release of my first puplet, so be gentle!
Attachments
pupeez_apps_1.0.jpg
(59.37 KiB) Downloaded 6612 times
pupeez_1.0.jpg
(48.19 KiB) Downloaded 6540 times

mongoose

#2 Post by mongoose »

hi Nuts4life

this looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for, I'll try it later and let you know what I think.

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

Hi nutts4life,

I want to wish you all best with your new puplet.

Regards,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

nutts4life

#5 Post by nutts4life »

Sage,

Thanks for taking a look!
I'm interested on why the menu returned you to the command line. I've tested mine on 5 or so different pc's and none had that result.

Although, the first time i boot and click on the menu, there seems to be a long delay in the time it takes to open. I reckon it's down one of two things:

- reproduction of the icons (there's alot of png icons now)
- Parsing of the menu file.

Seeming your instance crashed our of xvesa, i wonder whether it's to do with icon rendering. I'll have a look.

If anybody gets the same problem, just type xwin at the command line and it will boot back.

Thanks,

n4l.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

GeF2/400/64Mb w/512Mb main, swap also available (and detected) - nothing special. Think I've seen it happen only once before. Statistically insignificant on that basis! xwin fixed it.

It would be nice if someone with real talents like yourself could address the two longstanding issues beleaguering this mutt.
Incomplete shutdown on some chipsets, notably including SiS, requiring an acpi=force insertion in the boot parameter statement.
"A" drive searching in GPartEd, sometimes causing incomplete loading (not strictly a Puppy issue).

Update:
No reboot option?
Reboot Xserver failed-to-lock up.
Sadly proving all too easy to break the FULL install. Seems to be connected with XVESA settings.
I have to choose en_gb again at every boot - the value isn't saved.

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Further testing on ancient & modern HW confirms that there's odd behaviour with the Xserver. Not able to reproduce any particular effect, but can be induced by quite minor changes to incipient settings. Usually manifested by lock-ups, lock-outs, frozen screen, etc.

Also had a chance to try it on a 70+ lady who's moderately au fait with PC s. She quite liked the general layout, but we ran into an immediate issue with both camera and email.
She plugged in her Minolta and opened 'camera'. Her camera wasn't in the list, failed detection and was generally inaccessible. Clicked on the USB desktop icon and, almost BINGO. Several viewers opened in sequence, ending with Fotox, which was 100% successful in finding and d/l her pictures. Something needs adjusting with permissions? and removing that appalling GtKam or w.h.y.?
It was not immediately evident how to get at email via Opera. Although I knew the answer, I doubt whether she would ever have discovered the two options from Opera/ Tools menu. Since many folks who like Opera do not like Operamail or access to their normal provider servers via Opera, it would be better to stick in Sylpheed, for example, add its own icon and relabel Web & Email separately, which had caused me momentary confusion, too.
Hope this helps.

PS. An optional picture of a field might go a long way towards turning doubters! Plenty available in .png format.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

But there is some good news. I transferred the HD to an ancient, weird Intel board with on-board video - all the worst the industry can offer - and it re-detected the HW and ran normally without any changes.

ttuuxxx

#9 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi I see you have a camera Icon what is it linked too? Maybe digikam or gphoto?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Ray MK

#10 Post by Ray MK »

Hi N4L

Simple, elegant, fast and FANTASTIC

Got Pupeez running frugal on my 5/6yr old Patriot laptop with only 96mb ram, 1GHz celeron processor and 9gig ext2 partition.

Its brilliant - and did I mention FAST. So easy to use. Excellent.

The laptop only has a CDrom, no burner, so opened ISO with IsoMaster after downloading Copied files over to a new Pupeez directory, pionted GRUB to Pupeez and Voila.

Really nice to see that you have made use of some of the goodies found in Dingo4, in particular - hotpup and fotox. Both are very nice packages.

Am also very pleased with your choice of browser - OPERA - what an outstanding piece of software - especially when used in conjuntion with mini-opera on your chosen mobile phone.

Am going to try and install Osmo and Conky as I feel they both fall into the must have catagory, along with hotpup, fotox and Opera.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cant praise you enough for putting together an absolutely superb Puppy and for making it so easy to use and setup.

Best Regards - Ray MK - Puppy n00bie

nutts4life

#11 Post by nutts4life »

Sage / Ttuuxx

Sage, the xserver sounds very annoying. Becuase the puplet was based on 2.17 and only using xvesa, i was a little concerned with it's compatability with some video cards. As you know Xvesa hasn't been upgraded for a long while.
I think i might wait to see what dingo has to offer as i understand Barry has done alot of work on upgrading and perfecting Xvesa for the new version.

As with the camera and mail issue i'll discuss:

Mail - I'm a big fan of opera's speed and size. But i also am not a big fan of the mail client on it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. As you know it's difficult to setup. I had Sylpheed in the puplet in the early days and took it out becuase i hated the idea of having two applications that could do the same thing. Emails are a very important aspect to any computer user, so it's important i get it right. I think i have a couple of options:

1 - Open Opera with left 'mail' panel open on startup. Setup a dummy mail account. Then leave a welcome email in the inbox explaining how to setup mail.
2 - Install Slypheed. This will add some size to the iso, but not too much if i choose an earlier stable version of Slypheed.
3 - See how big firefox 3 ends up. If it's similar to the opera footprint, i can add the mail plugin, which is very easy to use.
4 - Install a browser smaller than opera (like skipstone) and then use it and slypheed in conjunction. (That was infact my orginal plan for this puplet).

Any ideas on that would be great on this.

Camera:
I have to admit, i didn't spent very much time testing or looking at gtkam as a package, i just took it as set in stone that it worked ok. I hate the way, like all things, 70% of camera manufacturers allow the card to be seen as a usb device and the other 30% need drivers. I was hopeing gtkam would cover all this. I took a look at gphoto and it does look ok. What are the differences between the apps?
It has quite a dated interface.

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Ah! I perceive that you crept off for a crafty w/e, nuttie! Glad to know that you're back and in problem-solving mode, again.
The X thing really is annoying - sorry can't help.
As for the email client, I particularly like Sylpheed, but there are smaller ones? Keep Opera whatever you decide. I understand that BK had some discussions with the Opera developers about a year ago and, if my memory serves, they were promising something for around Nov07 that might be more directly suitable for Puppy? Scandinavians are some of the nicest, most accommodating folk on the planet, so I'd be inclined to drop their CEO a note. There are many reduced versions of Opera, too - it's used in embedded systems. Still implant an additional emailer!
Re. camera, I don't know how to do it, but I suspect it's just a question of adjusting permissions and symlinks?
After that, struggle onwards towards that 25Mb goal of SliTaz......

nutts4life

#13 Post by nutts4life »

Ray MK,

I'll answer your thread seperately.

Thanks for looking at pupeez and i'm glad you enjoy it. I'm a big fan of opera but only for it's speed and size. Do you share the same annoyance with the mail function?

Just to add a couple of notes as you are about to install some apps.

I had to modify the design of menus quite heavily and it means that when you install a new app, the app won't appear in the menu. It's easy to fix though.

If you go to the directory /usr/share/applications you will see a list of text files, each with the name of the app followed by .desktop.
When the menu is built the system looks through each one of these files and decides if the app exists on the machine and where it fits in the menu.

I have created some new .desktop files starting in default****.desktop. Open defaultbrowser.desktop. you will see that this runs the defaultbrowser applicaiton (opera) and most importantly has a catagory. I can't actually remember the name of the catagory i created, think it's 'Programs' or something.

If you find your newly installed apps .desktop file (it will be in the same /usr/share/applications directory). Open this file and change the catagory to be the same as the defaultbrowser.desktop.

Open a terminal and run: 'fixmenus'

Now your new app will appear.

Sorry for the hassle, but the idea is that users won't add packages without technical knowledge.

As for conky, torsmo is already added to the puplet. Just type 'torsmo' from a terminal. Torsmo is the older version of conky. I will consider installing conky instaed, in the new version.

Osmo is a good call. I like it as well. I just don't like the way it has contacts, it means it would mix up with operas contacts if you are using that for mail. Does anybody know if osmo contacts work with a mail client at all?

Thanks ,

n4l

ve2kn

PUPEEZ wont run

#14 Post by ve2kn »

Neither xvesa nor xwin will run on my FIC VA503+/ old ATI video board machine (500 MHz). All the other Puppy variants I've tried run fine. Too bad! It sounds like I might have enjoyed this distro.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Please edit your profile, ve2kn - tell us where you are. Need another old graphics card? PCI? or AGP?

nutts4life

#16 Post by nutts4life »

ve2kn,

On the majority of distrobutions of puppy, you have the option at startup to choose, xorg or xvesa. Which one do you choose normally?

What other puppy puplets have you tried?

Thanks,

n4l

Ray MK

#17 Post by Ray MK »

Hi n4l

Have just seen your reply and had already installed conky 1.4.5 'cos it worked well with 2.14 TeenPup and Dingo4b1 - but does not work, will not start with Pupeez, but is in menu without me having to try "fixmenu"

However torsmo still works - but not by using console - had to find execute file and click that.

Think I may have broken something as torsmo flashes and dissapears intermitently.

Tried to uninstall conky - but could not see how. "petbegone" maybe?

Osmo installed and is working fine, no menu entry, so found execute and dragged it to the desktop. need to find a nice icon now.

Not sure about mail client with osmo, but Dingo4b1 has a later version and I think it does more things - not played with it yet.

Not sure but Dingo4beta2 (3.99) may have an even later version also.

Did you use the latest version of hotpup as I think the earlier one had a few minor bugs, sometimes did a few unexpected things.

Had to use Pmount before I could copy or move files between drives.

I also like Opera, as you say, it is small and fast.

Many thanks again for making Pupeez - superb, especially for n00b's like me

Best regards - Ray MK

ttuuxxx

Re: PUPEEZ wont run

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

ve2kn wrote:Neither xvesa nor xwin will run on my FIC VA503+/ old ATI video board machine (500 MHz). All the other Puppy variants I've tried run fine. Too bad! It sounds like I might have enjoyed this distro.
Just wondering something, when I try to get tv-out working with puppy it takes a bit, basically you run the xorg video settings, then you select test, then you select generic drivers, thats what works with me, it might work with you also??
well give it a shot and see what happens. ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tinawina

A little help getting wifi working on Pupeez -?

#19 Post by tinawina »

Sorry to bug.... I really like Puppy and I really REALLY like Pupeez. Love the interface and how fast it loads. I have about a 7 or 8 year old Sony Vaio that creaks and groans under W-XP. I've been trying out various Linux distributions for a few years, but always run into this problem with getting online.

I ran into this post that describes a way to get the USB WiFi adapter I'm using (a TP-LINK TL-WN620G) to work on Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d7b029257e

It doesn't work for me in Puppy. Thought I'd give it a try with Puppeez, but I also get an error there - can't find any wireless network interface.

I posted a note to the response by push77 (see link above). If there's anything to consider about this that is specific to Pupeez I'm all ears. Any help you can offer - much appreciated!

roark37

#20 Post by roark37 »

Hello,

I am very new to Linux as a whole and I just downloaded this Pupeez 1.0 iso. I just wanted to try it first as a live cd. It did work fine but I was not able to connect to the internet. Does it have to be configured for that first? And where do you do that? Under setup I did not see anything like Ethernet Wizard as in another Puppy version I used. The closest thing was more of a general Puppy Set up, is that where you go to set up your network connection? Also, assuming I can get the ethernet set up, when I go to close and I have the option to save a file, will that file save my configurations even if using only the live cd? Then the next time using the live cd will it go right to the old set up without having to set it all up again? I know these are really basic questions but I am fascinated by all these Puppy derivatives I have just discovered. Next will likely be the one that resembles the Mac OS. For most or all these derivatives will they work the same in that they are all based on Puppy so once I learn how to set up, configure, save, install, etc it will be the same on all?

Thank you for your help.

roark