Dual head/monitor

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Larro

Dual head/monitor

#1 Post by Larro »

I've looked all over the forum...

Oh, let me say that Puppy is my fav distro.

I've got a problem. I miss my dual monitors. I'm sitting here staring at a blank powered off monitor and I feel restricted and confined. I've gotten used to it though, but I need the extra space.

I have an emachines (don't laugh) with Intel integrated graphics and trying with a pci Nvidia Gforce 4 mx 4000 card. I just can't get xorg to start up here. Xvesa will start just fine. I can get xorg to run so long as I remove the Nvidia card before booting.

Essentially I want to get my dual displays back up and running. I've never been able to do this with Puppy but I have easily set it up in Fedora.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

It'll probably take some trial and error, but that's half the fun ;)

Am I right in assuming that you have one monitor attached to the card and one to the integrated chip? What about in assuming that when the card is plugged in, it gets treated as the "main" head and the console turns up on the monitor connected to it?

For starters, lets get you booting in Xorg with one head. Put your card back in if it's out and boot up. Go to the commandline and run xorgwizard, chose Xorg, and configure it to the best of your knowledge. It won't quite configure things correctly, but it gets close and will save a lot of typing.

Now, run mp /etc/X11/xorg.conf to open the configuration file in a text editor. The main problem that the wizard has is that it starts configuring both heads, but skips one section. Later we'll finish, but for now let's just disable the second head so we can make sure first one works (besides, it will be easier to put it off until later when we have copy/paste ;) ). Find the "ServerLayout" section of the file. The first several lines of that part should look something like this:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
Screen         "Screen0" 0 0
Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
It might have numbers between the 'Screen' and "Screen0" / "Screen1" parts. Ignore those. What you need to do is comment out Screen1 by placing a pound sign (#) at the beginning of that line, like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
Screen         "Screen0" 0 0
#Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
Theoretically, that should be enough to get you booted on one head. Save the file by pressing [ctrl]-[s] and then exit with [ctrl]-[q]. Now run startx to see if X will start. If it does, skip this next section.

If X doesn't start, you'll have to do some more fiddling. Check the log file to see what's wrong. mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log will open it. Now look around and find any errors. Errors will be marked with (EE) and warnings by (WW). Debugging X at this point is mostly independent of dual-heads, so I'm not going to get into it now unless you have issues. First do a quick search of the forum to see if anything turns up. If you follow any other directions, just remember to go back and make sure that comment we did earlier is still there before trying to start X. Another thing that might help is comparing the xorg.conf file to the one from Fedora. You might even be able to use that file in Puppy, though it isn't likely.

So, at this stage X should have started up. Back up the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in case we break it again. Now click the original to open it with Geany. Find and remove the comment you put in earlier. Now scroll down and find the "Screen" section. It will look somewhat like this:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "card0"
	Monitor    "monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
Make a copy of it below, and change all the 0's to 1's, like this:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "card1"
	Monitor    "monitor1"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
Now save the file. You might want to make a backup of this new version too, because sometimes Puppy will mess with the file when it fails to start, which only makes things harder for the humble debugger.

Now exit X and try starting it with startx. If it works, X will come back up on the same monitor, and the other one will be black or crosshatched. You should be able to move the mouse into it though. If so, there are a couple directions you could go. You could enable Xinerama by adding a line like this to your "ServerLayout" section:

Option         "Xinerama" "on"
That would cause the desktop to stretch across both heads and let you move windows between them. However, you won't be able to set up DRI if you use Xinerama. For "normal" people who just work with documents and surf, that isn't a big problem (though DRI would improve video playback, especially for slow machines).

For people like me who like using 3D, this is unacceptable. So what I do is leave Xinerama disabled and run the two heads as two separate displays. In this state, you cannot move windows between them. You can run commands in one to start apps in the other though, which is necessary to get the desktop and windowmanager started up over there. It's done by setting and exporting the DISPLAY variable in the terminal you're launching apps from. So something like this will launch Geany in it:

export DISPLAY=:0.1
geany
I think JWM might have had some problems (definitely with the tray-apps), but you can launch it in the same way (substituting 'geany' with 'jwm'). If you install IceWM instead, that behaves itself. You can also start rox with the same pinboard as the other monitor, but it's better to use a new one. And of course you'll want to automate all this. What I did is wrote a small script that gets run in parallel from /root/.xinitrc.
In /root/.xinitrc around line 10 or so (different versions are different):

#activate second screen
/etc/rc.d/rc.crt_screen &
Then I created /etc/rc.d/rc.crt_screen, set it executable, and put this inside:

#!/bin/sh
ORIGDISP=$DISPLAY
export DISPLAY=:0.1

#Load the wallpaper
/usr/local/Puppybackground/puppybackgroundmenu saved
#Load ROX and the pinboard
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/CRT_Pin 

{ icewm 2>&1 </dev/null & } &

export DISPLAY=$ORIGDISP
You'd want to use jwm instead of icewm (unless you installed IceWM) but I think that should otherwise work.

All that is pointless if it didn't start that second head though. In that case, you'll have to fiddle with the xorg.conf file, and read through the Xorg.0.log file too, to see what went wrong. Compare against the xorg.conf file from Fedora. Ask questions. Post errors. Experiment.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Larro

#3 Post by Larro »

IT WORKED!!!!!

Dude, you are my new best friend!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I wish I could buy you a beer! :D

Right now, xinerama is enabled. I'll probably monkey around with your further suggestions at a later date.

Doesn't it make you feel all fuzzy inside? Knowing you helped out in this way?
Thanks again!

BTW, I use IceWM

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

I wish I could buy you a beer!
Actually, I don't drink. Technically I'm still underage for another year, but I have no interest in alcohol anyways. I don't drink caffeine either.

But it's the thought that counts :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Larro

#5 Post by Larro »

Here is my current xorg.conf
#Special base config file used in Puppy Linux.

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this section is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"

# This loads xtrap extension, used by xrandr
Load "xtrap"

EndSection

# Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

FontPath "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"

EndSection

# Server flags section.

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12). This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

# Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Enables mode switching with xrandr
# There is a report that this can cause Xorg not to work on some
# video hardware, so default is commented-out...
# but i want to use it in xorgwizard so leave on...

Option "RandR" "on"

EndSection

#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard...

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 320 240 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "TRL"
ModelName "1017"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30.0-69.0
VertRefresh 50.0-85.0
#UseModes "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
EndSection

Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes0"
#modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 320 240 # mm
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "CPQ"
ModelName "COMPAQ S710"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810" #card0driver
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "82865G Integrated Graphics Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "UseFBDev" # [<bool>]
#Option "Rotate" # [<str>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "FlatPanel" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPDither" # [<bool>]
#Option "CrtcNumber" # <i>
#Option "FPScale" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPTweak" # <i>
#Option "DualHead" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Card1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=Intel_r_865G_Graphics_ChipTRL1017
[/quote]

puppyluvr

S-Video

#6 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D
I am running Puppy 217 and would like to enable my S-Video output
Reading the earlier posts, I generally get how its done..What I need is for Xorg
to see my S-Video..

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

This is the serverlayout section of Xorg.conf...No screen 1
How to get Xorg to "see" the S-Video output is my problem..

My card is an ATI Radeon mobility 7500...
If I can get this to work, I can "Close the "Windows" for good..
Any suggestions????

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've never worked with s-video, so I don't have anything other than speculation to offer. If I were you, I'd try just manually adding the extra screen option and section, the extra monitor section, and maybe an extra device section (if it's on a different video card from the main monitor).

You might have to add an option or two to the device section for the card if it's the same card the primary monitor is on, so that it knows to even send anything to the s-video.

Otherwise, my advice would be to google "s-video" "ATI Radeon mobility 7500" xorg and see if you can track anything down.

Hopefully somebody else here knows something about s-video.

Larro

#8 Post by Larro »

I saw a post about this somewhere...

...svideo...

Turpin

#9 Post by Turpin »

I'm about to go through and try Pizzasgood's ltutorial first. This is another that has always helped me in the past. http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors . Different Linux distro, but I've used these instructions succesfully in other distros.

Turpin

#10 Post by Turpin »

Argh, this was predictable, wasn't it? I;ve been at this for 9 hours. Sleepy. I'm going to get some sleep right after posting this.
I can't get separate x-screens to work. I've tried several distros in the past and always was able to get it working in them (granted, the first time was really difficult). I've tried everything I can imagine. I've an LCD monitor that's best at 1280x1024 75hz and my second monitor is a small CRT monitor which I'd want at 800x600 most of the time because it can do 85hz refresh rate in that mode. These on a Nvidia Geforce 6800. Twinview seems fine but my applications open and maximize across both monitors, which is not at all what I want. I've tried the instructions here. I don't know what else to do. Maybe I can install Linux Mint on my hard drive for the purpose of "borrowing" my settings in the Xorg.conf from it.

Larro

#11 Post by Larro »

Sorry for all the troubles Turpin. :(

[quote]“TwinView is a mode of operation where two display devices (digital flat panels, CRTs, and TVs) can display the contents of a single X screen in any arbitrary configuration.

Turpin

#12 Post by Turpin »

Thanks anyway. I've tried both twinview and separate x screens in the past. I don't understand how people can deal with windows always trying to open up across two monitors, which is what happens in twinview.. And my second monitor is much smaller than my main one, capable of much lower resolutions without unacceptably low refresh rates.. I mainly use it for watching videos while I'm working on my large LCD monitor. I've had dual x screens working in other distros. I don't see why Puppy would be any different. And apparently others have had this all working. I wonder, could I get a look at a xorg.conf? Anyone who has two monitors and dual x screens working?
Twinview has its own Xinerama doesn't it. I think that's what I've ended up using in recent distros I've tried. Since I'm able to get twinview working, then I should be almost there I think. I need to read again and confirm what Twinview xinerama does.
Oops, right, I don't want xinerama. Separate x screens or bust.

Turpin

#13 Post by Turpin »

I'm done. I've spent nearly a month when I should have been looking for a job. I just can't stand being between operating systems. Anyway, my advice to newcomers, if having dual screens is necessary for you, focus on that first, before you explore the other potentially difficult configuration tasks of the OS, like the printer, scanner, which puplet to choose, etc. It may be easy to set up in some distros, but in others like, it can be nigh impossible.
I really thought setting up dual displays was going to be easy. I've manually configured the xorg.conf to get them working on other distros. On this one I couldn't. Thanks for all the help I got. I'm sorry the advice didn't work on my specific hardware. I'm so tired of things not working, but I love the idea of a compact distro like Puppy. There really is nothing like Puppy out there. I'm going to have to go with something more bulky unfortunately. Probably Linux Mint XFCE.

Turpin

#14 Post by Turpin »

I'm still here. Still trying. I can't quit. I wish there were something like Puppy to switch to. Since there isn't, this must work. I will make it work. I may need help. I may need therapy by the time this is over.
I have a 19" Acer AL1912 LCD monitor as the primary and a 15" Philips Magnavox CM1300 hooked as the secondary to a dual-head Nvidia Geforce 6800 card. Using Gray's NVIDIA-964301-k2.6.21.7.pet file in Nearly Office Puppy 3.01r6. I'm trying to get separate x screens and xinerama like I was easily able to set up in Linux Mint's custom wizard. Whatever it did, I'm able to maximize to one screen, yet drag windows between screens, in Linux Mint CE XFCE (the same window manager). And, looking over the xorg.conf file in Mint, it does appear to be separate X screens and Xinerama, so that's what I want to do in Puppy. It should be possible right? I've just tried every conceivable combination of advice and experience I have available to me at this point, and that second monitor stays black and will not budge. Unless I use the Nvidia-settings and change it to Twinview. Not what I want.
When I can get my XORG.conf in a presentable state that I think should be working, even though it doesn't, I'll post it here. Sorry, I'm in a very determined stubborn state. Tormented by things going wrong. I need something to go right from time to time to keep me in a good state of mind. Once I get past this, I'll be fine. Thanks if anyone has any advice. Or if someone could post a working xorg.conf, based on a single NVidia card, two monitor configuration like mine, that doesn't use Twinview.
I forgot to mention, I'm only trying to get one mode working on the second monitor, one that I know it will do well and the only mode I want it to use, 800x600@85. It's an old CRT monitor. I can't even make it do 1024x768 without turning the refresh rate down to 60. And as anyone who knows about refresh rates will tell you, that's unhealthy to look at for very long on a CRT monitor. 800x600 is fine for full screen video or to keep notes on the screen to look up at occasionally. My Dad, who lives nearby, asked me today "do you really need two monitors?" and I looked at him and answered honestly "yes". I mean, I've gotten used to it. A second monitor becomes part of your routine, and I just can't do without it.

Turpin

#15 Post by Turpin »

Shouldn't my second screen also say card 0? It is the same card, but a second monitor on that card.

Turpin

#16 Post by Turpin »

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Sep 5 19:30:08 PDT 2007

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Acer AL1912"
HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 49.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Philips"
HorizSync 31.0 - 53.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 85.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 6800"
BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard1"
Driver "nvidia"
BoardName "GeForce 6800"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "CRT-1: 800x600 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Turpin

#17 Post by Turpin »

Please, a generous soul, please, if you have dual monitors working, can you post your xorg.conf's contents? I realize my hardware is bound to be different, but Puppy is the most picky....linux distro I have ever seen about its xorg.conf. If you post your Xorg.conf, it will likely give me the clue I need.

Turpin

#18 Post by Turpin »

Here's the xorg.conf that should work, with settings imported in very carefully from Linux Mint. Multiscreen with dragging is fully functional in Mint. What does Puppy do with this or anything that looks like it should work? It says "no" and overwrites it with a single-screen xorg.conf. What can I do? Is there anything that can work? I mean, am I doing something wrong? Is this even possible? Does anybody have this working? Dual monitors!!!! Come on.

I think I can guess why this is happening. I think Puppy is trying to maintain a compatible "automatic" configuration which means anything too customized won't work. But the Nvidia settings don't work. The auto settings don't wok. Is there an override to force my settings? I'm going on 3 days just trying to get dual screens to work.

I even tried installing Beryl in hopes that that might have some wizard built in for dual screens. No such luck. Nice effects, but function is more important than form.

Edit: there is an override, found here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21689 , but as it turns out, Puppy knows what it doesn't like apparently, because when I turn the "safety" off to keep Puppy from overwriting xorg.conf, it never boots into xwin. I had a feeling that's what would happen, but now I know. So, how do I get Puppy to tell me what it likes? Maybe scratch it's tummy? :P

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Sep 5 19:30:08 PDT 2007

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
BoardName "GeForce 6800"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Acer"
ModelName "Acer AL1912"
HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 49.0 - 75.0
modeline "640x480@75" 31.5 640 640 640 640 480 480 480 480 -vsync -hsync
modeline "800x600@75" 49.5 800 800 800 800 600 600 600 600 +hsync +vsync
modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 832 832 832 624 624 624 624 -vsync -hsync
modeline "1024x768@75" 78.8 1024 1024 1024 1024 768 768 768 768 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1152x864@75" 108.0 1152 1152 1152 1152 864 864 864 864 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x1024@75" 135.0 1280 1280 1280 1280 1024 1024 1024 1024 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x960@75" 129.86 1280 1280 1280 1280 960 960 960 960 -hsync +vsync

Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024@75" "1024x768@75" "800x600@75" "640x480@75"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard1"
Driver "nvidia"
BoardName "GeForce 6800"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "800x600@85" "640x480@100"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Magnavox"
ModelName "Magnavox MV5011 (15inch/CM1300)"
HorizSync 31.0 - 53.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 85.0
modeline "640x480@100" 25.2 640 640 640 640 480 480 480 480 -vsync -hsync
modeline "800x600@85" 56.3 800 800 800 800 600 600 600 600 +hsync +vsync
modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 832 832 832 624 624 624 624 -vsync -hsync

Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection
Last edited by Turpin on Mon 21 Apr 2008, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

Larro

#19 Post by Larro »

I'm following ya here. Bare with me I have a cold (fever and headache).

Wish pizzasgood would come back here to help ya out.

I don't have the hardware to test this out. Man I'm sorry.

Turpin

#20 Post by Turpin »

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you recover soon. Pizzasgood has helped me so much already. He's one busy helper. Plus it sounds like he's going to school, working, and working on his own Puplets. He's like.. Superman. :P
I've been nothing but complaining for too long. I'll post here if I ever get this to work. if anyone has working dual monitors on an NVidia card, maybe if I could see a working xorg.conf I might find a clue that I need to make Puppy happy. And me, as well as my friends and family who I'm hoping to pass this customized Puppy to (we're all low-income around here, and the price of Windows, as well as the dollar amount, is something they'd rather save). Especially if you're using NOP, but I don't think it matters which Puplet you're using.
This is really the last major issue I have to resolve before I use this OS full-time. It's too good to give up on, despite what family are advising me. They don't know. I want to show them. :cry: