NOP Questions

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nipper

Re: Java fully working in Opera!

#21 Post by nipper »

Turpin wrote:... but a wise man once told me, Linux is Linux 9 (of course, he never tried Puppy, but for the most part, Linuxes work similarly).
I don't doubt your word that a wise man told you that, however, you could possibly have misunderstood because it is not correct.

Linux is the kernel upon which the OSS runs. Kernels don't have arbitrary marketing numbers. Kernels have version numbers like "2.6.xx" and like. Released distros often have number series like you mention and some distros like to use high numbers to make their distro sound newest but the principals of the distro decide on the numbers and how they relate to code maturity and version and release cycle. Example: Latest stable release of Debian is 4.0, 2.6.8.18 kernel version, and it can run the latest Firefox with Flash 9. While the latest version of Slackware is 12 and it also can run the latest browser and Flash.

That doesn't negate the fact that a new version of a binary for a browser might not work with a old version of flash or vice-versa, but that's a bit different from what you stated. I don't want newbies reading this to get the wrong idea or think that "linux" is an operating system. Puppy linux is an operating system (one using the linux kernel).

Turpin

#22 Post by Turpin »

Thanks for that correction. It's inconclusive whether that Java fix I mentioned was necessary. It did seem to be working better, but then I was having crashes with Flash if I remember. So, nobody take that as the gospel! Or the truth. Either one.

I'll be careful too who I call wise from now on. The guy wasn't that wise. Intelligent though. I guess he has been using Linux since its beginnings, in fact he claimed he personally wrote a good amount of the early networking code for it. I think all he was saying that it didn't really matter which of a variety of newer Linux distros you use, because any of them can be configured to do anything. I think he was responding to my indecision about which of a couple of 'Buntu varients to use.

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

"The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.24.4 2008-03-24 18:53 UTC
The latest prepatch for the stable Linux kernel tree is: 2.6.25-rc9 2008-04-11 20:53 UTC
The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.36.2 2008-02-24 20:51 UTC
The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.26 2004-02-25 00:28 UTC
The latest prepatch for the 2.2 Linux kernel tree is: 2.2.27-rc2 2005-01-12 23:55 UTC
The latest -mm patch to the stable Linux kernels is: 2.6.25-rc8-mm2 2008-04-11 03:02 UTC "

I'll leave others to calculate how we can refer to any of these by a single integer.
As for the networking stuff, I'm a complete dumbo on the subject, but it has much commonality, not to say coincidence, with that derived from Unix, indeed, most prior *nixes. Makes a lot of sense since the HW at that time was common and Billyboy hadn't yet learned the acronym NIC, nor had his first date with JANET.

Turpin

#24 Post by Turpin »

I just noticed there's a "9" above where I didn't intend one. Sry about that. Typo. I had assumed that the replies were about the statement "Linux is Linux". Now I realize the comments about the versions were probably because of that 9. That's been happening a lot lately. I check what I post, but somehow, little "extras" appear in them, or that's how it seems. I must just not be checking them well enough. And I realize, Linux distros are different and aren't all equally capable, unless you're a super guru who can reprogram the whole thing yourself. My friend struck me as that type.

I almost gave up trying to get XFCE to work well in DIngo, tired of no drive icons which I got used to using in NOP, then I found Gray's Hotpupx pet. Thanks Gray :) And thanks for making these things possible, Gray. If you weren't around, I probably would have looked for something other than Puppy and ended up going back to Windows, a slave to the EULA. Not that these other Puplets aren't great to keep around, but i consider XFCE and your customizations to be my best chance for ditching Windows for good. Well, that and Wine.
Last edited by Turpin on Fri 18 Apr 2008, 09:22, edited 2 times in total.

Turpin

#25 Post by Turpin »

I'm sorry for incorrectly posting non-questions in here. I actually have one this time. Does anyone know why sometimes in NOP, I'll go drilling through the file system, and suddenly the cursor turns into a clock and stays that way, as if it's access the files, but it stays that way forever? This seems to happen very frequently, for instance if I try to look into my /root/.mozilla/firefox folder, but not limited to just that folder. Usually if I reboot, the problem goes away for a while. Is this likely a XFCE thing, a Thunar thing, a configuration thing, a DVD/CD thing, a Puppy thing or a NOP thing? I have a 1200MB save file on a fat32 partition, booting from the DVD. 1GB ram. 2GB swap partition. When I look down at the fspace read-out, it's never been below 900MB when I've seen this happen. Thanks if anyone has any idea.
UPDATE: The problem goes away when I boot the NOP DVD with pfix=ram. I should've tried that before posting. :roll: