Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
John Doe

Re: Dotpets on Puppy 4 Beta 1

#141 Post by John Doe »

WN2A wrote:........HOWEVER, these dependencies are missing:
File /usr/local/bin/qucs has these missing library files:
libqt-mt.so.3

libqt-mt.so.3 is the multithread shared dll from QT3.

dingo has a partial qt4 install under /opt/qt4

I've been fighting qt3 vs qt4 a lot myself (it's a bigger mess than even M$ could make).

at one point i tried to symlink libqt-mt.so.3 to the main qt4 dll as it has mutlithreading built in by default but ended up with some weird errors.

a lot of qt apps still require 3 but I think that will change as I read somewhere that there was a licensing change between qt3 and qt4 of some type. not sure if it was accurate but it seemed to indicate that qt3 was no longer free and required a licensing fee of some type.

Sorry no fix for the problem, just wanted to shed some light for you.

your best bet is to try and get someone to compile those apps for qt4 (if they support it).

John Doe

Re: Dotpets on Puppy 4 Beta 1

#142 Post by John Doe »

WN2A wrote:I installed qt-3.3.8.pet first from repository ibiblio.org, OK.
sorry, missed this part.

I don't think it's compiled with multithreading. If it is there, you need to export the QTDIR in a shell before running the apps.

like (with the proper path if this isn't it):

Code: Select all

export QTDIR=/usr/lib
then run the app in that shell.

if you type the following prior and afterwards, you can see it change:

echo $QTDIR

WN2A

#143 Post by WN2A »

Thanks, John Doe
I was suspecting qt3 vs qt4 issue.

Referring to QUCS, it uses qt3.1 up but <qt4 . The qt-3.3.8.pet installed fine, so I thought that supply the necessary libs?

Thanks for the suggestion in your second post ( export QTDIR=/usr/lib)
I haven't tried that yet.
1) I assume that means the source code will not need to be
recompiled, nor the package need be re-built.
2) Wonder if there was a way I could re-build the qucs package so
export would be included? (Simpler qucs install for Puppy 4 users?)

Referring to xpaint-2.7.0, openoffice_cutdown3-2.2.0.pet and fldigi, I don't think they use qt . Agreed, this qt3 vs qt4 thing is a mess, but I'd take open-source over M$ anyday.

Thanks for your help,
WN2A
CWLab : Amateur Radio CW Program Moving to GNU/Linux!
[url]http://www.qsl.net/wn2a[/url]

Sooty2

USB FAT16 install fails to boot

#144 Post by Sooty2 »

Hi all, I posted a similar problem in the alpha forum....

I haven't been able to get clean USB flash FAT16 installs work properly since 3.01.

* 398 will install and boot ok from an USB Flash ext2 partition.
* if I install from 398 to FAT16 it will not boot.
* if I install from 301 to FAT16 and then upgrade to 398 I am able to boot ok.
* the number of files differs from the 301 install to the 398 install. ldlinux.sys doesn't get added in a 398 install.
I take it this is needed for the FAT16 boot?

Regards, Sooty2
Last edited by Sooty2 on Sun 13 Apr 2008, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#145 Post by Sage »

A number of 'missingmod' and other files have turned up in /tmp of the FULL install. Safe to delete?

bde

Security issue: typed password appears as clear-text

#146 Post by bde »

:idea: When typing password for restarting from a saved and encrypted pup session, the typed password shows up on the screen as as-typed text (instead of stars). Somebody, watching the screen, could easily pick this up.

mclien

#147 Post by mclien »

after a log 'puppy-free' time.
So excuse me, when I'm not up=to=date with all topics
I installed puppy 3.98 on a Thinkpad600.
Here are my problems/bugs:
1. even with mount-FULL, I'm not able to do a nfs mount
2. when running gxine, selecting 'open', the window I get is out of the screen left an top. So you can't select the path in the left window and you can't resize, move the window because the top bar of the window is not visible.

Kal

#148 Post by Kal »

mclien

Hit your alt button on your keyboard and you should be able to drag the window. The newest JWM only resizes from the sides, corners and bottom.

Good Luck, Kal

disciple

#149 Post by disciple »

This isn't really an issue for Barry, but I can't find a thread for Hotpup.
It would be really nice to be able to disable Hotpup's message asking if you want to unmount a device after you close the filer window.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

oli

#150 Post by oli »

I had mentioned my problems with wired DSL at this post before (I think it's on page 6). Now I have managed to solve the problem.

The problem is that the file /etc/resolv.conf is deleted when you execute pppoe-start and replaced by a symboli link to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. And this is a symbolic link back to /etc/resolv.conf. Both links direct to each other. I have copied the file /etc/resolv.conf of my Puppy 2.14 and then I get an internet connection. But when you stop the internet connection with pppoe-stop and start it again with pppoe-start, the file /etc/resolv.conf is deleted again and replaced by the symbolic link again. So you have to copy the file resolv.conf everytime you execute pppoe-start.
Last edited by oli on Fri 18 Apr 2008, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#151 Post by JustGreg »

I have encountered the same problem as Jcagle (13 April 12:57AM) with Hot Pup. When one attempts to change the settings using the Hot Pup entry under the Desktop settings, it fails and reports that old settings will be used. I tried to disable Hot Pup on a Classmate Dingo Beta frugal installation to save screen area. I was not able to using the Desktop menu entry. I change the permissions on the Hot Pup application to prevent it being executed. Crude, but it worked.

I have also try to change the Hot Pup settings on full installation on my desk computer. I got the same problem. Hot Pup is nice. I think most people do like it. However, it is not clear what is the source of the configuration problem. It appears (to me) that new file is not being written.

Silly me :roll: After one changes the settings and gets the error message, one just re-starts the x-server and the new settings are used. The problem is the error message is confusing people. If the message stated that one needed to re-start the x-server, this post would not be needed. Thanks again for Hot Pup!
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

linuxcbon

#152 Post by linuxcbon »

To install seamonkey 1.1.9, it needs libstdc++.so.5.0.7

seamonkey 1.1.9 gets installed in /usr/local/seamonkey
But 1.1.8 is in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8 ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#153 Post by Flash »

Ack! I only just found out where Barry's blog is, and read where some people are having trouble saving sessions. I couldn't tell whether anyone besides me has had a problem with Dingo 4 beta on a multisession DVD.

For me, multisession Dingo 4 beta will save a session when it shuts down, but the next time it boots, SeaMonkey won't open at all. I get this error message:
# seamonkey
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/seamonkey-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

linuxcbon

#154 Post by linuxcbon »

I was wondering what /etc/foomatic is.
I type in shell : foomatic-gswrapper
I got

ERROR: /undefinedfilename in --.libfile--
Can you add x264 to ffmpeg ? (--enable-libx264)
Last edited by linuxcbon on Tue 15 Apr 2008, 08:31, edited 2 times in total.

zygo

xorg

#155 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Will the simple addition of a driver get my acer m3600 displaying good graphics? Both xvesa and xorg look like there are vertical strips of blur on the screen. Xorg is worse. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log is attached.

BTW After booting the unadjusted live cd the xvesa wizard does not start automatically on my acer but does on my e370. I have no pupsave but with the acer I use pfix=ram boot parameter. The acer starts with 1440x900x16 and I bump it up to 1440x900x24. 301 started in a non-widescreen mode. So some improvement there.

Is there some way to stop the drive icons from appearing on the desktop?

*EDIT corrected above: It was 301 that started in a non-widescreen mode not Alpha7.
Attachments
Xorg-acerm3600.zip
Xorg log for Acer m3600
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Last edited by zygo on Tue 15 Apr 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

WN2A

dotPets in 3.98

#156 Post by WN2A »

Barry and All: (with reference to my prior posts in this thread)
It appears that I can install just about anything from the repository into 3.01 with few if any problems, but not so for Puppy 4 Beta 1 3.98. OK, I expected some dependency issues, (and got them). I tried two PC's, each with full 3.98 installation OK. I am wondering where the problems are, missing libraries, symlinks or even the installer? I get the dependency list after install, and the menu items appear after restarting JWM, but nothing else.

Here's my laundry list so far:

100% OK on 3.01, but not 3.98(mostly dependencies issues)
xpaint-2.7.0-pet
openoffice_cutdown3-2.2.0.pet
qucs-0.0.13-i486.pet (from my website)
fldigi-1.34-i486.pet
qt-3.3.6.pet
slidedraw-20011026.pet
tkmines-2.15.1.pet
tuxcards-1.2.pet

OK on both:
qt-3.3.8.pet
fltk-1.1.7

Hmmm, with 3.98's shift to gtk2+ and away from the others, I am starting to think of Dingo as a new distro or at least a fork in Puppy Linux. Does anyone think a .sfs could be made to supply the missing libs to Dingo, until transitions to gtk2+ are made? :wink:

73's to all
CWLab : Amateur Radio CW Program Moving to GNU/Linux!
[url]http://www.qsl.net/wn2a[/url]

grndoor

#157 Post by grndoor »

### Missing Reiserfs support files

Puppy has the Reiserfs file system drivers compiled into the kernel.

However, the following Reiserfs support files are missing from all the Puppy-400 test isos:

/sbin/debugreiserfs
/sbin/fsck.reiserfs
/sbin/mkfs.reiserfs
/sbin/mkreiserfs
/sbin/reiserfstune
/sbin/reiserfsck
/sbin/resize_reiserfs

Without these Gparted can neither display the used and unused parameters of Reiserfs file systems nor can it format drives as reiserfs.

### Missing ufs.ko driver; Reading and writing BSD file systems

Several people have requested BSD file system handling on the forum recently.

I myself use the following to access FreeBSD and OpenBSD file systems from using the ufs.ko driver which I restored myself:

mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/hdxx /mnt/yyy

mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=44bsd /dev/hdxx /mnt/yyy

It would be very useful if the ufs.ko driver could be restored back into Puppy.

At present, the kernel ufs read/write setting is read only:

# CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE is not set

Could this be set to:

CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE=y

so that we have full ufs read and write access?

### XFS file system driver restored.

Adding the following bare minimum xfs file system support files would allow formatting and checking xfs drives:

/sbin/fsck.xfs
/sbin/mkfs.xfs

### Missing UDF file system driver

Restoring the udf.ko file system driver would give full access to read-only optical media, and optical media that are re-writable. This would be especially useful for DVD media.

Sage

#158 Post by Sage »

Ah! You're back, grndoor. I've been talking about you. You gave a method of booting Puppy from scsi drives on BK's blog some long time ago. It was before he changed his host, his design & co several times, so we don't have access to your words of wisdom any longer. Please can you repeat what you said and place it in the scsi thread started by norte3:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9377
Many thanks. But we still need one of the experts to help, too.
Glad you raised the BSD issue. There is also the ZFS for Sun systems, notably a new Belenix release today.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#159 Post by Béèm »

linuxcbon wrote:To install seamonkey 1.1.9, it needs libstdc++.so.5.0.7

seamonkey 1.1.9 gets installed in /usr/local/seamonkey
But 1.1.8 is in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8 ?
You could make a symlink in the 1.1.9 structure which point to that line in the 1.1.8 one.
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 15 Apr 2008, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Turpin

#160 Post by Turpin »

Sry, doublepost.
Last edited by Turpin on Tue 15 Apr 2008, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.