Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 10:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Setting up multiple users in Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 5 [75 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 00:37    Post subject:  

Cool. I definitely want to make the next Pizzapup multi-user friendly, among other things, so I will come back to read this stuff in detail when I start working on that. For now I'm way to busy to think about multiuser, so I wanted to at least let you know there is interest in this and that it isn't being ignored. Smile

Farwater

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 13:04    Post subject:  

Thanks for your encouragement, Pizzasgood! I'm glad to hear at least one positive response, since I'd also like to see puppy multiuser.

In the meanwhile I've fixed a couple of bugs, made it work more stable and predictabe. The new version of the script is available for download from the current post.

Last edited by Farwater on Thu 27 Mar 2008, 06:48; edited 1 time in total
Auda

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 04:25    Post subject:  

I have been waiting for a multi-user puppy since um well I'm using 109ce and haven't seen a good reason to change. Grafpup 2 was looking very good but unfortunatly had a few bugs, mounting drives was my main one, then Nathan F. stopped working on it and now I see that grafpup.com is no more. If you and pazzasgood get a bugfree multi-user pup working you will have a real winner.
Keep up the good work
Auda
jcoder24

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 08:28    Post subject:  

Auda wrote:
and now I see that grafpup.com is no more.

That's because it was moved to grafpup.org

Auda wrote:
Grafpup 2 was looking very good but unfortunately had a few bugs, mounting drives was my main one, then Nathan F. stopped working on it

Nathan stopped working on it because of a change in profession which left/leaves him with virtually no time to work on it. However, I think grafpup is an excellent puplet (in some ways ahead of its time) that can hopefully be continued as a community project.
Auda

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 14:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
That's because it was moved to grafpup.org

I was doing a cleanout of old bookmarks on a seconadry computer and many grafpup.com ones came up, I had forgotten that the address has changed.
Quote:
Nathan stopped working on it because of a change in profession which left/leaves him with virtually no time to work on it

I had heard that, its a shame that there isn't a note to officialy say so on his news page, it looks like an abandonded project with the last news dated August 13th, 2007

Quote:
that can hopefully be continued as a community project.

That would be good is there any work being done on it ?
jcoder24

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 19:50    Post subject:  

Auda wrote:
That would be good is there any work being done on it ?

Not yet
Farwater

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar 2008, 01:08    Post subject:  

Sorry for a noob's question. Embarassed But I got stuck with enabling OOo for non-root users. No matter how (e.g. mount -o loop -w) hard I'm trying to remount the openoffice.org2.2.sfs file, still I can not modify the permissions of the files inside it.

So, my first question is: Is there a way to mount the .sfs in as writable for me to modify the GID of its /opt.

If not, then my second question is: Is copy-edit-CreateNewSFS for OOo the only way to change the permissions?
Farwater

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar 2008, 14:22    Post subject:  

A separate question suddenly came into my mind. Maybe, what I'm doing now is more relevant to do on dingo rather than on 3.01?
Farwater

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr 2008, 08:39    Post subject: A really updated version !
Subject description: Check this out

I updated the script (see the previous page of the forum) to its latest.

The difference from the previous version:

1. X is fully configured according to individual preferences of users (including a personal xorg.conf !!! )

2. Terminals are accessible and fully functional for all the users.

3. Bugs cleaned.

In other words, it's ALMOST functionally complete!

The only incompleteness is represented by OOo on frugal, which can be automatically integrated once the developers of .sfs kindly change the restictive rwx------ rule to, at least, rwx--x--x.

Of course, I can rebuild the sfs myself, but what's the point? The next version of OOo may come out with the same rwx------. So, for now I decided to give up.

As usual, a few notes on the design.

Giving credits to Barry, I have to admit that the initial user-centric design
was an advantage in my work now, rather than a disadvantage. When everything is collected in /root it's very easy to create a copy of it, add to it a local copy of /etc (to $HOME/.etc) and substitute in xwin, .xinitrc and xorgwizard scripts all the instances of root to $HOME and all the instances of /etc to $HOME/.etc. Yes, it's THAT easy. Smile

The script, was tested on both frugal usb and a full-hd-install with puppy 3.01.

Now, your comments on how it works on your systems are highly appreciated. Wink
rarsa

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr 2008, 15:03    Post subject:  

Farwater wrote:
Is there a way to mount the .sfs in as writable for me to modify the GID of its /opt.
First of all, I'm sure that the work you are doing will make a lot of people happy.

Second, sfs files are read only, you cannot mount them rw, but...

an sfs file is no more than a particular folder packaged with the mksquashfs utility.

So here is what you can do:

1. Mount the sfs file in a subdirectory (not on /)
2. Copy all the contents to another folder
3. Modify the access rights or the content as you see fit
4. Create a new sfs file using the mksquash command (http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/8/mksquashfs.html)
for example
mksquashfs <folder> <filename>.sfs

This is, you don't modify the source sfs file, but you create a new one with the modified contents.

Farwater

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr 2008, 15:23    Post subject:  

Rarsa, thanks a lot for your encouragement! I´ll keep working on this topic, since I can see that people are interested in it!

With .sfs, knowing that, practically, one can not change the image, I just had a sightest hope (a dream) that there might be a magical trick in the world which would allow me to make a non-invasive (or, at least, a slightly invasive) change of the permissions. Wink Unfortunately, such silver bullet, apparently, does not exist in this world. Sad Thank you for your reply anyway!

But, I guess, you would agree with my opinion that I better NOT rebuild an official sfs released not by me. Wink
Farwater

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 09:24    Post subject:  

Updated the current version of the script. The only difference is that now it handles the error case when user specifies no arguments. All the rest is the same. Still works fine so far.
aladin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2008, 09:43    Post subject: I ran the script
Subject description: How to logon

Farwater wrote:
Updated the current version of the script. The only difference is that now it handles the error case when user specifies no arguments. All the rest is the same. Still works fine so far.

Hi, I ran the script and get the new user directory created , password set, but I wander how to set the puppy after boot because puppy doen't show a logon process.

I still have X11 running in root , without been able to enter my new Userid

Did I miss something ? What init to configure in order not to havs the X started as before ?
Farwater

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2008, 21:17    Post subject:  

Hi aladin,
It´s quite easy.

Edit /etc/inittab. You have 4 lines there. Make the second line identical to the third one (can copy-paste it). Save the file.
The commited change will result in prompting you for a login name and password every time you start puppy from now on.

To login as a different user immediatly you need to leave X to the prompt and type there:
Code:
login myname

,where myname is the name of the user you´ve just created.
After entering the password you will login as myname
After that you will be able to start X again with something like
Code:
xwin jwm

Please note that during your first login as a new user puppy will ask you to configure X. Only once. It´s OK, since from now on it will maintain personal display settings for each new X user.

If something still doesn´t work, please do not hesitate to ask me, since I´ll be really glad to improve what should be improved there.
Farwater

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr 2008, 06:55    Post subject:  

I've added a GUI version of the script to run it from X. Please see my original post for details.
Page 4 of 5 [75 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: