Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
RR Koothady

Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

#1 Post by RR Koothady »

I am trying to install SCIM input method in Puppy 3.01, for Tamil Language (Locale: ta_IN). I have succeeded till the LAST BUT ONE STEP.

The final step eludes me.

Incidentally, the Dotpets I have made, are capable of lending support to 40 MORE Languages. [Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)]

The steps I had taken are as follows:

Preparation:

1. chooselocale : ta_IN (alternatively your desired locale)
2. Compiled DotPets of “m17nlib, m17ndb,SCIM, m17n-SCIM, SCIM tables

Irihapeti

#2 Post by Irihapeti »

This may not be completely relevant to your question, and if it's a distraction, I apologise in advance. But it may throw some light onto your problem.

I've also been playing around with scim. I installed it in Ubuntu, and to get it to work, I also needed to install scim-bridge, which allows scim to work without needing to set the locale to another language. (I just want my visitors to be able to send email in Chinese or other languages.)

The final step was this:

Code: Select all

gedit /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim

then find and change

GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

into

GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"

then restart the system
This works nicely in Ubuntu, and now I'm trying to get the same thing to work in Puppy. I've made a pet out of scim-bridge, and also scim. The problem is the configuration file. Puppy doesn't seem to have a file in the location given above. I tried creating one there and it did nothing.

Can someone with a better knowledge of the Puppy filesystem layout tell me where to make this change, so we can get this working?

RR Koothady

How to implement Gentoo Linux Solution in Puppy?

#3 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear All:

Gentoo Linux has reported the same issue. It was also solved this February. Here are the links:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-65 ... e271eedb72

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Enable_Hindi_using_SCIM

The reason for SCIM not getting triggered on pressing "Ctrl+Space" and the Solution offered:

"When your computer boots up, goes past the kernel, initializes all the services and then finally arrives at the shell prompt, the X server has to be started up.

That is what the command startx does.
A fair explanation is here
You may not notice startx because if you have a login manager installed like kdm or gdm, it takes care of executing it for you.

Now you faced the problem of an unresponsive SCIM taskbar icon, because the SCIM variables in ~/.xinitrc were not exported before all the X programs of your Window manager (Gnome, right?) started launching.
That problem in fact affects both Gnome and KDE since they don't call ~/.xinitrc but use their own session managers as the startx link above explains.

...Sooooo... instead of ~/.xinitrc, put the environment variables in /etc/profiles.d/scim.sh
That way the variables are set globally, as soon as you login, and before X is launched."

I have tried to follow this suggestion in Puppy. I created a "scim.sh" file in Geany, typed the environmental variables:
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

and saved the file in /etc/profiles.d/.

Rebooted.

Earlier, when the above environmental variable was placed in /.xinitrc (just below the line . /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE) the SCIM Keyboard icon got displayed in the X Tray whenever X restarted. However now ( that is: after creating the abovesaid "scim.sh" file in the /etc/profiles.d/ folder) it does not get launched on its own. It has to be invoked manually using the "scim -d" command in the terminal. After this, scim gets launched successfully, but even after this pressing "ctrl+space" buttons do not invoke scim.

So, I think I have gone wrong somewhere.

Will some one tell me what should I do in Puppy in order to "export the SCIM environmental variables before all the X programmes of the Window Manager get launched?"

RRK

RR Koothady

SCIM BRIDGE PET

#4 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Irihapeti

I have problem in compiling scim-bridge.

Can you please share with me the scim-bridge dotpet you have created? Instead of the m17n route, I would like to try the scim-bridge route.

my email: cypherandone at gmail.com

Thank You in advance

Ramesh

Irihapeti

#5 Post by Irihapeti »

RR Koothady:

I'm a bit reluctant to email the dotpet because I've tried to do some stuff with a postinstall script in it and I'm not too comfortable with the idea of maybe trashing someone else's system in the process. :oops: Also, I'm running 2.17 and your system is 3.01.

However, I can tell you how I got it to compile. I needed to recompile scim, configuring like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr
and then, to configure scim-bridge:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-qt3-immodule --disable-qt4immodule
I've also solved my earlier problem. I added two lines to
/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""
and I added the following to ~/.xinitrc, near the beginning, just after the "pupstate" statement.

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
export GTK_IM_MODULE
Now it works!

I hope that helps.

RR Koothady

#6 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Irihapeti

Thank You very much; and Congratulations for solving the problem.

Ramesh

Juveno41

#7 Post by Juveno41 »

I'm a beginner, but I'm having the same problem with SCIM, so I'd like to post something :

searching the forum for SCIM input, I found a Chinese version of SCIM for puppy:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 64&t=21706

on the above page, you will see the link ftp://puppy:linux@ftp.servage.net/Chinese_puppy/
-> chinese_input-0.01.pet

I installed this pet package on my Puppy and Ctrl+SPACE seems to work flawlessly.

I humbly hope you will be able to solve this problem analyzing the contents of this package.

Irihapeti

#8 Post by Irihapeti »

RR Koothady wrote: Thank You very much; and Congratulations for solving the problem.

Ramesh
I take it that it worked, then. :D

RR Koothady

SCIM Issue SOLVED in Puppy

#9 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear All!

Irihapeti's solution for the SCIM installation Problem works works well in Puppy.

The route I had taken was installing "m17nlib, m17ndb, scim and scim-m17n". (in Puppy 3.01 -TMXINE Pup)

On the other hand, Irihapeti had taken the other (perhaps the better) route of installing "scim and the scim-bridge". (in Puppy 2.17)

But the solution he had found has made both the routes work for Puppy in Versions 2 and 3.

Thanks once again Irihapeti and Juveno41.

Puppy can now handle all the 41 languages offered by SCIM.

Ramesh
Attachments
scim in puppy.jpg
SCIM in Puppy displaying the possibility of in-putting 41 languages. The image shows typing in "Tamil" language in GIMP in TMXINE Puppy.
(66.42 KiB) Downloaded 9222 times

Juveno41

#10 Post by Juveno41 »

Congratulations for solving this issue once and for all...
41 languages will sure be useful to many people.

Irihapeti

#11 Post by Irihapeti »

RR Koothady:

Great to see the final result!

Now I have another question.

I need to be able to type in Maori, which uses macrons. It can be done using the raw code option, but that is horribly inconvenient.

I notice that you have various European languages, such as French, Spanish etc listed. Where do you get the libraries needed to be able to input in these? I've downloaded and compiled scim-tables, but it doesn't cover those languages.

(And, just for the record, I'm female - the mother of 2 adult sons. I'm trying to interest one of them in Linux, and as he's a post-grad language student, this stuff is very likely to be of interest to him.)

RR Koothady

#12 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Irihapeti:

I am not a programmer but a physician working in a small village. The reason why I want a Tamil Puppy urgently is - to write one "one page" story a day in Tamil for my 4 year old daughter and her friends from April 14 - the Tamil NewYear Day.

If you would like to check the languages you have mentioned why not try the following dot pets in a 3.01 system?

http://rapidshare.com/files/105920191/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920192/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920194/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920195/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920196/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920198/t ... up.so.html

Please follow the instruction I had given in the first post to install them. To make the installation work, of course use the final solution you had offered.

Or else, I can send the specific language table alone through a "rapidshare" upload.

Ramesh

Juveno41

#13 Post by Juveno41 »

This must be something very basic for more experienced people, but I'm stuck while compiling SCIM. I did as follows in the uncompressed directory:

1) ./configure --prefix=/usr
2) make

and got an error message after quite a while:

grep: /usr/X11R7/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/X11R7/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/X11R7/lib/libxcb-xlib.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[2]: *** [libscim-x11utils-1.0.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdc5/Puppy/scim-1.4.7/utils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdc5/Puppy/scim-1.4.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I found that the missing file is located in my '/usr/lib'.
I tried the parameter '-I /usr/lib' for make, but got the same error.
I think there must be a solution beside copying the missing file to '/usr/X11R7/lib'.

Could you give me any suggestions on this, Irihapeti, and RR Koothady? Thanks.

RR Koothady

#14 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Juveno41

I had faced the same problem while compiling scim. Some lib files required in /usr/X11R7/lib/ are (for some reason, I do not know) located at /usr/lib and also at /usr/X11R6/lib and vice-versa.

Copying from one folder to another solved the problem, but the in the console you get a regular message that these files have been moved... however, this message had not impeded the compiling process per se.

May be, when we remaster our own Puppy - we have to put these files in the 'other' folders?

RRK

Juveno41

#15 Post by Juveno41 »

So that was the right solution...
Since I'm a beginner, I was reluctant to copy them to somewhere else and mess up with the directory structure, as it didn't seem normal.
But copying them will hopefully solve the problem.
Then I'll go try this, Thanks!

Irihapeti

#16 Post by Irihapeti »

Juveno41

That's interesting - I don't recall getting that message when I was compiling scim, and I don't know why. (I might look into it later, but I'm not a programmer, either.)

A common way of dealing with lib files that aren't where you want them, is to make a link instead of copying. It does the same job, and takes up a bit less room in the pup_save file. In fact, I think that in Puppy217 the X11R6 directories are linked to the X11R7 ones (or vice versa - I'm not in Puppy at the moment and can't check).

And to RRK:

A very happy Tamil New Year (in advance). :D

RR Koothady

#17 Post by RR Koothady »

Thanks Irihapeti. Best Wishes Juveno41.

RRK

Juveno41

#18 Post by Juveno41 »

Irihapeti wrote: A common way of dealing with lib files that aren't where you want them, is to make a link instead of copying. It does the same job, and takes up a bit less room in the pup_save file.
Yes, I symlinked them with the shell command 'ln' following your advice, and it compiles well. Thanks for letting me know.

RR Koothady wrote:Best Wishes Juveno41.
Thanks. and your solution, as well as that of Irihapeti for language input works for me, now. Thanks again for this, all of you!

Have a good weekend, Irihapeti. Have a good weekend and happy new year, RR Koothady.

caka

Re: 41 LANGUAGE PUPPY - HELP NEEDED

#19 Post by caka »

RR Koothady wrote:
support to 40 MORE Languages. [Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)]
40 languages and isn't S P A N I S H. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Juveno41

#20 Post by Juveno41 »

Okay, I can see SCIM launched when I boot, I thought it was all done, but can't go any further.

I can launch SCIM Setup, but can't see Generic table. The only items I see are :
- SCIM
- FrontEnd -> Global Setup
- IMEngine -> Global Setup
- Panel -> GTK.

So I can't install tables.
And CTRL+Space doesn't work, of course.

I think I followed Irihapeti and RR Koothady's instructions one by one. Here's what I did :
(btw I'm using Puppy-3.01 Seamonkey with devx_301.sfs)

- set my locale to fr_FR, and checked the file '/etc/profile' and I found the line 'LANG=fr_FR'.

- copied 'libXaw95.so.7' to '/usr/local/bin' and installed 'libotf.so.0' in '/usr/local/lib'.

- installed the packages m17nlib, m17ndb, and m17n-SCIM RR Koothady offered. There were no dependency errors.

- installed scim-1.4.7-i486.pet, scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet and scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet that I succesfully compiled :
1) for scim-1.4.7-i486.pet I did './configure --prefix=/usr'.
2) for scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet I did './configure --prefix=/usr --disable-qt3-immodule --disable-qt4immodule'
3) for scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet I did just './configure' (I also tried './configure --prefix=/usr and it compiles well, but still doesn't work.)

then 'make; make install' for all three packages.

afterwards, I replaced '/usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI/table-imengine-setup.so' by the one RR Koothady offered again.

Then I edited the following two files as Irihapeti and RR Koothady instructed :

1) here's the beginning of my '/root/.xinitrc' file, with the part I added.
#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
scim-bridge

2) and I added the following in '/root/.etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules' :

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""

Do you see any point I missed? Any comment would be of great help.