Compiz, Puppy 3.01 NOP and an ATI 9000 success story

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

just to be clear: lokster is NOT Lobster despite our nicknames sound similar. Its just a coincidence.
m m m . . . there are no coincidences, just synchronicity of a chaotic kind . . .

Also as a heretic Buddhist (just a hobby) I believe individuality and persona is a persistent delusion (like my imaginary psychiatrist)

By the way glad it worked. Another Puppy Compiz-Fusioneer :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mcewanw

not convincing

#22 Post by mcewanw »

lokster wrote: PS: just to be clear: lokster is NOT Lobster despite our nicknames sound similar. Its just a coincidence.
I'm not convinced. Lobster likes success stories. What better way to engineer that than to discuss a self-created invented problem with someone you pretend is not yourself? Eventually someone else will come along with a solution, allowing you to finish off the thread neatly with all-round pats on the back, and general expressions of good karma between yourself and your mirror.

However, I think you would garner more readers to the thread if you instead got into a blazing argument with "each other". Nothing like blood and broken mirrors to create an alienation effect sufficient for the promulgation of your positive propaganda! :-)
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 07 Nov 2007, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

very suspicious

#23 Post by mcewanw »

come to think of it... tombh seems to have also "joined" the forum very recently (in terms of posts). I am almost now certain that everyone contributing to this thread (apart from myself) is the same person..!

mark2

Re: very suspicious

#24 Post by mark2 »

mcewanw wrote:come to think of it... tombh seems to have also "joined" the forum very recently (in terms of posts). I am almost now certain that everyone contributing to this thread (apart from myself) is the same person..!
are you getting those suggestions from the voice you hear in the left ear or in the right. :D :D
[img]http://www.markamos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yxudnslbsx.png[/img]
www.crowncarcare.co.uk

wow

#25 Post by wow »

Lobster wrote:I don't think every plug in and effect is included.
If I'm not mistaken, I have included every working plugin(main, extra, unsupported, and some uncategorized or under development). :wink:
Lobster wrote: For example I have no raindrops. :)
I have no raindrops too, because my hardware(video card) is too old for its requirements.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

gray

Raindrops are fallin on my...

#26 Post by gray »

I have raindrops :D . I tried the compiz_test02.pet and noticed that in the /tmp/xerrs.log file that compiz complains about text.so not being the correct ABI whatever that means - I think it is working OK, though text does seem to stretch badly when you resize a window.

This is the first time I have seen compiz in action. I was previously very sceptical about 'wobbly windows' and their value, but now I am bitten.

The effects are awesome {still dont like wobblies though so I switched them off}. I showed some of the guys at work who have just shelled out vast sums for new machines with vista - they were gobsmacked. :twisted:

tombh

#27 Post by tombh »

Yeah I get the strange stretching of text in the window title too. Though I don't see the 'wrong ABI' error thing in xerrs.log

Another thing I noticed is that I get a fairly significant CPU spike with little animated things, eg. these animated smiley faces on the forum, or the page-loading indicator in firefox, or the visualizer-thing in amarok. I did read somewhere that this was a compiz thing and that it had been addressed in certain circumstances. But then again it could just be my old hardware? It hasn't actually been a problem yet, so not to worry.

Although one thing that I haven't sorted yet is full-screen video playback. Mplayer has to be using x11 to play video (and gxine xshm (flash in opera seems to work fine)) but then it won't play fullscreen :( However, I have tried using the Enhanced Zoom Plugin on the mplayer window to simulate fullscreen and it's actually pretty watchable!

gray

compiz

#28 Post by gray »

This is sooo coool. I have been playing with the compiz snow plugin. As I had a space background I used Star Wars xwing and tiefighter images as snow textures and have them flying across the screen from right to left. Now I have an animated background !

The files are attached, and the snow settings I use are;-

Number of Snowflakes : 150
Size of Snowflakes : Max
Snow Speed : 90
Update Delay : 10
Screen Boxing : 1000
Screen Depth : 1000
Rotate off
Snow Direction : Right to left
Attachments
starwarssnow.tar.gz
(35.63 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

cb88

#29 Post by cb88 »

When I had compiz installed on my pc (sempron 1.8ghz 512mb geforce2 64mb) I would watch DVDs just fine fullscreen.... just make sure that mplayer is setup to use the opengl driver in preferences I know that one worked I can 't remember if the other ones did...

the video will play full screen on one side of the cube and the colors might get messed up it you rotate or take screenshots but OK otherwize

FYI my card has no shaders but does fire just fine.... and snow in compiz (not in beryl) but water effects have yet to appear... I don't see why water effects would be soo hard since I can do some basic water effects with xdesktopwave and that is not even accelerated...

the geforce2 does have NSR's though so maybe those are being used?
wikipedia>>
The GeForce2 also introduced the NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR), which was actually a primitive form of what is known as pixel shaders today, though they were not programmable and only found use in tech demos.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nsr.html
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

tombh

#30 Post by tombh »

Thanks cb88, I have actually got snow and fire! I just hadn't set the keybindings to ones that worked. The Super (windows button) key and F-keys don't seem to work. But as soon as I changed them, bingo! A white Christmas in front of a roasty open fire :)

I tried the OpenGL (and gl2) video driver in mplayer and although it did play full screen, it just flickered too much and wouldn't zoom for the cube rotation, in fact I couldn't even get the right-click menu too close full screen until I stopped the video with the space bar.

Oh yeah, stars wars snow over earth :shock: I never thought I'd see such a thing, brilliant.

stevenbinion

#31 Post by stevenbinion »

I just tried to download the COMPIZ-FUSION dot PET and got the followning error.

PWP - 404 Error
This Page Cannot Be Found

Oops, sorry we don't seem to be able to find the page you're are looking for

Please hit the back button on your browser, or if you have typed the URL yourself, please double check you spelt everything correctly
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

tombh

#32 Post by tombh »

Hi stevenbinion,

Have you tried wNOP? It is Puppy with Compiz-Fusion already setup!

Otherwise you will need to set it up yourself -- goto to wow's thread here.

stevenbinion

#33 Post by stevenbinion »

tombh wrote:Hi stevenbinion,

Have you tried wNOP? It is Puppy with Compiz-Fusion already setup!

Otherwise you will need to set it up yourself -- goto to wow's thread here.
Thanks Tombh, I'm not an NOP user. I'll check out wow's thread.
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

Earwicker

lobsters dvd

#34 Post by Earwicker »

how didja do it, please...my dog is losing his buddha nature trying to figure it out.

tombh

#35 Post by tombh »