Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Tom Raft

Re: Saved wireless setup does not get reused

#41 Post by Tom Raft »

bde wrote:WPA2 wireless setup in the first Puppy 4 Beta (398) is not being reused. Used Menu/Setup/Network Wizard. In Configure network interface for wlan0, setup wireless using WPA2, ran Test wlan0, ran Auto DHCP to get wireless connection (dhcp). [Note: During Wireless/wlan0 setup found error: Puppy Ethernet Wizard/Acquiring WPA connection/Unable to establish WPA connection. However, in the next screen, saw that testing of wlan0 was successful.] After acquiring Auto DHCP address, the message said
CONFIGURATION OF wlan0 SUCCESSFUL!
Do you want to save this configuration? If you want to keep this configuration for next boot: click 'Yes'.
I said yes to this. Was able to connect to the internet and browse successfully. At the next boot, have to set this up again. This happens repeatedly. /etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf is correct (I see that my network ssid, psk, proto, key_mgmt, group in this file are correct.) Something else is wrong.
Same for me.

Happens since first alpha. Versions 2.xx and 3.xx no problems.

Using frugal install with ath pci driver for wireless network (pcmcia-card)

Tom

veronicathecow

#42 Post by veronicathecow »

Thanks to rover sending me a message (Cheers) I tried acpi=off and also pfix=ram and managed to get puppy up and did a frugal install. Sadly this just gives me the same result so I will have play with Menu.lst and set acpi=off there but at least I can run puppy.
Tony

pakt

#43 Post by pakt »

Laptop with 1024x768 intel graphics and an external 1680x1050 monitor.

1) The hotpup icons overlap the top row icons. This is a side-effect of new functions in randr 1.2.

Here is the problem in '/etc/HotPup/add_icons_for_device1':

# xrandr | grep '*' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' | tr 'x' ' '
1680 1050
1024 768
#

This results in:
SCREENX=1680 1050
SCREENY=1050
1024 768

Both screens (the laptop and external) show the Puppy desktop. That they both are active can be seen by the two '*' here:

# # xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 1680 x 1680
VGA connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 433mm x 271mm
1680x1050 60.0*+ 60.0
1600x1200 59.9
1280x1024 59.9
1440x900 59.9
1280x960 59.9
1024x768 70.1 60.0
800x600 60.3 56.2
640x480 66.7 60.0
720x400 70.1
LVDS connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 60.0*+ 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 72.8 75.0 59.9
720x400 85.0
640x400 85.1
640x350 85.1
#

I can turn off the laptop screen by executing

# xrandr --output LVDS --off

Now '/etc/HotPup/add_icons_for_device1' will work:

# xrandr | grep '*' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' | tr 'x' ' '
1680 1050
#

and result in:

SCREENX=1680
SCREENY=1050

2) The right-most icons (lock, zip and trash) are not placed on the right edge of the screen but end up in the middle of my 1680x1050 monitor.
Attachments
400b1-extn-display-hotpup.png
(40.72 KiB) Downloaded 1269 times
400b1-extn-display-icons-small.png
(121.73 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

#44 Post by pakt »

Regarding network settings not being saved:

I noticed that there is no /etc/ethernetmodules file, only a /etc/eth1mode saved in my pup save file.

A bug in /usr/sbin/net-setup.sh ?

EDIT: Ignore the above - /etc/ethernetmodules is only needed when a module is manually loaded :oops:
Last edited by pakt on Mon 07 Apr 2008, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

#45 Post by pakt »

Fonts displayed in Seamonkey appear quite rough.

Is anti-aliasing missing ?

EDIT: This is especially noticeable on Barry's blog. Or is it just the font?
Last edited by pakt on Mon 07 Apr 2008, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

dsj

#46 Post by dsj »

Seamonkey themes do not install. The theme is downloaded but get a message "install script not found".

Seamonkey add ons do not install. The add on is downloaded & at the end get a message "cancelled".

frugal install on a laptop.

djringjr

#47 Post by djringjr »

When Puppy Software Installer is run, it complains that a new Puppybasic is needed, but fails to "find" it and quits.

Work around is to download the Puppybasic with the PETget package manager - then it works.

Best

DR

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#48 Post by DreamsToGo »

Problem with Xine, found in Gxine and xineui and xine plugin - streaming media stops after 30 secs or so.

Streaming internet radio such as Media/Spoken Word/BBC radio 4 (in Gxine) starts playing OK but only for 30secs or so, then silence. I have noticed that immediately after the stream stops the ethernet net connection is very heavily loaded - this lasts for about 10 secs. But I don't think this is a network problem.

This behaviour happens also if you go to the BBC radio 4 web site and press the listen live button. Also if you click on the listen with external player which starts Xine plugin.

Can someone else test this please?

Hilary

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#49 Post by DreamsToGo »

Gxine - really irritating inconvenience.

In the Dingo Alpha's with Xine UI you can right click on a directory, take the 'open with' menu item and click on defaultmediaplayer and xine will start playing any music files in that directory. Very handy, you don't have to select all the files manually to get the whole directory to play.

Gxine does not provide this support which I find really annoying.

Hilary

Sage

#50 Post by Sage »

Agreed. GXine is not a patch on Xine. Both work for me, but only Xine does so easily. Perhaps Barry can tell us what it's all about? Probably missed something in his blog, or, more likely, didn't understand it.

J_Rey

gxine

#51 Post by J_Rey »

I noticed that gxine 0.5.901 was released a month ago but Puppy 4.00 beta has 0.5.11 which Barry knows is buggy and is actually working on it today.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#52 Post by Béèm »

dsj wrote:Seamonkey themes do not install. The theme is downloaded but get a message "install script not found".

Seamonkey add ons do not install. The add on is downloaded & at the end get a message "cancelled".

frugal install on a laptop.
Is java installed?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rerwin

"Problem video" fix has confusing user interface - SOLVED

#53 Post by rerwin »

It turns out that the hanging-video fix for old Toshiba laptops is not effective in all situations and could frustrate the user. In addition, the retention of a list of problem video adapters inside the script delays unacceptably the delivery of a solution to users with laptops not on the list. And the user interface allows the user to select Xvesa even though it hangs every time.

The attachment contains a re-worked implementation of the fix that is triggered by the user's recovery from the hang -- the cancel and invocation of xorgwizard is remembered for later uses of the wizard and xwin. The problem "oem" signatures are kept in a separate file, /etc/xorgoverrides; the file is optional and is created when a hang is detected, but seeding it with the known signatures would avoid most hangs and the need for the recovery.

To prevent attempts to use the Xvesa option, with its resultant hang, an alternate dialog is invoked once a problem adapter is detected; it gives the options of Xorg and Commandline, and explains why Xvesa is not offered.

For anyone eager to test this, the /usr directory in the attached archive can be extracted to / to place the three files in their correct directories.

Diff listings relative to beta1 are included.
Richard
Attachments
Cure_for_hanging-probe_laptops.tar.gz
Handles all laptops that hang on "probing video hardware".
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times

zygo

#54 Post by zygo »

pmount displays 0M free when one of my usb sticks is mounted. There is actually a few hundred k free.

I've added (from 301) xnetload (15k) and the necessary /usr/lib/libXaw95.so.7.0 (319k) as well as a symlink to it called /usr/lib/libXaw95.so.7

Could the menu on the free memory applet be moved to the cpu history applet? I have no free memory applet - as I have no extra storage. Well actually it appears the first time after booting which is a good thing. I think it would be better if pmount was integrated into this menu.

thanks for including cdp

pupdial works fine out of the box. I'm using it now. I think the solution to the conflict warning (when wvdialconf is run) is to remove the speed parameter ie 115200 from /etc/ppp/options.

Mmm - PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 16) but after 33 mins. Hopefully just a one-off from my ISP.

autocutsel is needed to allow copying from a terminal and from closed windows. These don't work. I think this is a serious loss.

zygo

#55 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Could you make pmount indicate read-only status. One of my usb stick acts like it's unreadable when it's set to read-only. I think it's part of the password protection feature - ms only!

You've gone back to cups 1.1 and I've forgotten the knack of getting my deskjet plus working with it. But first how do I actually flush the parallel port so that I can try another ppd without rebooting?...

bde

Solved wireless network bug reported earlier

#56 Post by bde »

Feeling a little bit of self-gloat after finding out solution to the bug I reported earlier: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 372#188372. The problem was that the saved wireless profile was not being reused, and had to setup wireless network from scratch after every reboot. The bug is in the file /usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh. From console, type:

geany /usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh

Change from /usr/bin to /usr/sbin on lines 21 and 31 as shown below. Save this file. This should utilize the /etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf and /etc/wlan0wireless created during network setup assuming that the setup has been properly saved. This took care of automatic wireless connection in my case.
#!/bin/sh

INTERFACE=${1}
WEP_DRIVER=${2}
# Dougal: add support for WPA2
WPA_TYPE=$3

[snip...snip ... deleted]

sleep 5

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i ${INTERFACE} -D ${WEP_DRIVER} -c /etc/wpa_supplicant$WPA_TYPE.conf -B

COUNT=0
MAX_COUNT=12
DELAY=5

while [ "${COUNT}" != "${MAX_COUNT}" ] ; do
let COUNT=COUNT+1
echo -n "." > /dev/console
echo -n "."
WPA_STATUS=`/usr/sbin/wpa_cli status | grep "wpa_state" | cut -d"=" -f2`
if [ "${WPA_STATUS}" == "COMPLETED" ] ; then
COUNT=${MAX_COUNT}
else
read -t ${DELAY} a
[ $? -eq 0 ] && COUNT=${MAX_COUNT}
fi
done

echo ""

exProphecy

Re: Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

#57 Post by exProphecy »

Lobster wrote:Dingo is Wild (bring back the crazy citrus theme as default - ahem . . . well OK maybe not . . . I liked it . . .)
Just wanted to say that I liked it too.. :cry:
Puppy 4.3.1 + Sansa Express MP3 Player + 10GB USB Flash Drive = My triple threat OS. :wink:
I consider myself a Turritopsis Nutricula.
[url]http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]
[url]http://www.esnips.com/web/exprophecypets[/url]

disciple

#58 Post by disciple »

I just realised that I think the last two alphas don't seem to see my Linux swap partition. I can't download the beta right now, but can anyone confirm if swap partitions work for them (either in the alphas or betas)?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

Latest Abiword stable (2.6.2) is out!

#59 Post by disciple »

Off-topic, but I just saw that not only did the latest Gnumeric series go stable a month or two back, Abiword has now too! They're at 1.8.2 and 2.6.2 respectively.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Reading BK's blog today, more tales of woe about GXine, gotta ask whether there's a 'wood for trees' issue going on here? Intellectual stimulation is one one thing...................