Sylpheed

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Sylpheed

#1 Post by Lobster »

Barry says regarding Sylpheed:
My master plan for mime-type handling enters the next phase. Puppy 1.0.5 has default handlers, for example /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor, which are scripts that will execute the correct application. I am getting everything to work via these default handlers, so that they are the only place modifications will need to be made. I have now modified /etc/mailcap to use these -- both Sylpheed and Mozilla reference /etc/mailcap. The desktop icons were already setup in 1.0.5 to use them.
So, if any application installs, say for example a new wizz-bang web browser, and it is wanted for it to become the new default web browser, then edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. The file has the format:

#!/bin/sh
exec mozstart "$@"
The New Sylpheed in 1.0.5 is a "generic" easy to understand, fast - woosh - type program - great . . .

For Barebones voicemail I need ogg, wav and mp3 to be opened by some sort of player

on receiving a wav attachment in sylpheed
placing this in "open with"

Code: Select all

gxine '%s'
works for now - but would prefer this coded into sylpheed

You might also find this code useful (this would give us the potential for a "contact Puppy Linux Foundation"
or contact Puppy Developer
button on the desktop)

the code is all on one line
It opens sylpheed and a message
with a recipient
and header (I think you can not use space in header but underline is OK)

Code: Select all

sylpheed --compose mailto:void@goosee.com,foundation@puppylinux.com?subject=%Message from_Puppy_to_Barry&Body=%b&
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gliezl

PST files

#2 Post by gliezl »

Hi lobster, how can i use M$ Outlook PST file to imported to Sylpheed? Got to remove windows in my hard drive now. I'm doing backup. How can Sylpheed recognize PST files? Need some help.
Thanks!
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

No idea.
Try the sylpheed forum.
Took me a while to work out how to join but they are very helpful
in fact they suggested the above tip

When are you doing some more Puppy graphics? You obviously favour abstact ideas. Most of my mind has been abstacted.

:oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

If I recall the sequence of events... I have improved Sylpheed mime handling after 1.0.5 ...so, attachments should open properly in 1.0.6 ...or the latest ms-dvd.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I have only used Sylpheed once or twice. There are two things I didn't like about it, compared with Mozilla mail: I couldn't find any way to write my email in "rich text" or html, and it doesn't come with a spam filter.

The people I mostly correspond with all use html for the extra things it can do compared with plain text, which aid communication. Is there no way to do this with Sylpheed?

Mozilla mail comes with a spam filter which is pretty effective. Why doesn't Sylpheed have one?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:I have only used Sylpheed once or twice. There are two things I didn't like about it, compared with Mozilla mail: I couldn't find any way to write my email in "rich text" or html, and it doesn't come with a spam filter.

The people I mostly correspond with all use html for the extra things it can do compared with plain text, which aid communication. Is there no way to do this with Sylpheed?

Mozilla mail comes with a spam filter which is pretty effective. Why doesn't Sylpheed have one?
I used to subscribe to the Sylpheed mail list, and one thing discussed many times was HTML format. The majority view was they didn't want HTML.
I wonder if Syplheed Claws has any support for basic HTML composing?

Regarding filtering, Sylpheed 2.0.1 can work with Bogofilter, a Bayesian
learning spam filter. I haven't put it in Puppy, but maybe someone could
check it out.
It is just a C program I think, so can be compiled, but uses Berkeley
database DB 3.x I think, but Puppy only has DB1 (/usr/lib/libdb1.so).
...so that would have to be compiled and installed first.

You will find that it can be turned-on in the Sylpheed Preferences, and
a "Spam" icon appears in the icon-bar.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Syplheed Claws

#7 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote: I wonder if Syplheed Claws has any support for basic HTML composing?
It does. It is a bigger :oops: and more developed program. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)