Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 13:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Website: Package Lists
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr 2008, 06:55    Post subject: digital signing  

HairyWill wrote:
Digitally signed packages could avoid this as there is no way that the mirror can be accused of interfering with the package.

I'm all for this digitally signing packages, but it has to be easy to do. Though I always create md5sums for anything I do, I haven't been digitally signing them, and wouldn't off the top of my head know how. I do understand the process well enough, and could find out how to do it easily enough I'm sure, but that is an extra effort. In other words, it would be good if some system were provided to automate or make easy such practices. Then there is more chance of such measures being used by those packaging new applications for Puppy in general. I've seen cases of people producing packages but not knowing how to generate an md5sum for them even ...
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr 2008, 05:46    Post subject: Package management / repositories  

Sir Duncan wrote:
I also think that we need a better repository/package manager. PSI is wonderful, but could use some refinement. PetGet is absolutely atrocious when compared to the package managers of other distros.

I don't want to over-praise any alternative small Linux distribution on a Puppy forum, but I do suggest that it might be worth closely examining the way Slitaz does its package management, and indeed, the way it organises its overall website in general:

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/packages.html

It is, I feel, very impressive and professional.
Inspires confidence, I'd say. Something to aim for.

Note that Slitaz also appears to be multi-user. Nathan F. expressed some of the security benefits multi-user capability well, a couple of posts down the following thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15839

I do hope the official Puppy releases become multi-user one day too.
Slitaz is destined to shoot up Distrowatch rankings. I would hate Puppy to be left behind.

Note, however, that I think it is not correct to view other small distributions as being in competition. Rather, they follow similar anti-bloat philosophies and their users and developers can learn from each other.
prit1

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr 2008, 14:54    Post subject:  

@wiak: I had never heard of a distribution called Slitaz before. I must admit, I dont check distrowatch that often now that I am hooked onto Puppy. But I am looking forward to give Slitaz a try when I get a chance.

I agree that we need to make a central repository and the mirrors should follow the same structure as the main repository. Also the repository must be categorized into meaningful and easily understandable sections like:
Base System:
Office:
Multimedia:
Utilities:
System-Tools:
WindowManagers:
XServer
etc.

MU's PSI does categorize it to some extent. But we must come up with something more standard.

Does anyone else think we need a team for creating and maintaining such a standard repository for Puppy?
prit1

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr 2008, 20:36    Post subject:  

Just a proof of concept:

How does this sample repository look like?

http://hardkap.net/puppyrepo

Features:
- Search the repository based on the category name, filename, description
- Description field available - must be added
- Is organized in categories

Last edited by prit1 on Fri 11 Apr 2008, 12:42; edited 4 times in total
HairyWill

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr 2008, 07:03    Post subject:  

nice
I've used this successfully to download individual packages and also to and download several in one zip.
Is the search just across the package names or do you have the categories associated with them?

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr 2008, 10:14    Post subject: questions  

That looks good. Is it meant to be accessed by a software installer script, by the public, or by registered users only?

I am guessing that the box at the left explains what the package is about. Question

prit1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr 2008, 13:37    Post subject:  

@HairyWill: If you search for a category, it gives out all the packages in the category.

@Raffy: The access can be set. I have found a way to make it accessible to the public. If you access this link:
http://hardkap.net/puppyrepo
you dont need to enter a separate userid password to login.

The textbox that comes on the left side when you click a package can be used for the description. Whodo and myself were discussing on this. It would be great if we have a volunteer or a team of volunteers to write up and update descriptions for these packages. An id with special access to update the description can be created for this purpose.

Since MU already has the packages organized in a reasonable manner, I was thinking if we could install this script into his current repository, then we could have this as a Puppy repository until we finalize all the things we want to do (like digital signing and stuff). I have PM'ed MU, but didnt get a response back. He must be very busy.

Last edited by prit1 on Fri 11 Apr 2008, 12:42; edited 1 time in total
Caneri

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr 2008, 14:09    Post subject:  

@Prit

Mu has puppyfiles.ca which is the Canadian side of his servers and is up to date with regards to PSI files.

Maybe MU will agree to a test run here at puppylinux.ca before this goes to his main server in Germany.

Hey..just a thought in case there is a problem. That way a fix is only here not the main server.

Best,
Eric

PS I'll catch up on Skype.

prit1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr 2008, 15:56    Post subject:  

@Caneri: Does this mirror at Puppylinux.ca have the packages organized into categories like:
Emulators,
Multimedia
etc?

We will talk offline about this.
changturkey

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr 2008, 15:01    Post subject:  

prit1 wrote:
Just a proof of concept:

How does this sample repository look like?

http://tipsforeveryone.com/puppyrepo

The
username is puppy and
password is puppy

The search does not work.

[edit]: The search function also works now. Smile

Awesome.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr 2008, 04:48    Post subject:  

Well Guys I personally like the layout of
http://www.linuxpackages.net/
Basically you select which version of slackware and do a Name search or the packages can be listed by how popular they are, And users can rate the packages from 1-5 stars
basically a easy way to know if a package is not working right is by the start levels. How simple that is.
Plus uses can log in and upload packages, I'm not sure how you guys feel about that, Maybe only trusted users get passwords?
The best way to find out what you like is always to look at other sites, Then you get a great picture how things are done.
well thats my 2cents
ttuuxxx

craftybytes

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr 2008, 05:58    Post subject:  

Hi,

Just thought I'd put together a couple of 'example' html based listings which might be of interest..

The idea would be to link with the relevant URL's to the respective Puppy repositories the 'name' of each package listed in the "Formal name" column - or maybe the 'link' URL could be to another html page which holds the relevant repository URL's..

Anyway - just my 0.2c's of brain bashing..

crafty.
Example-repository-listing.tar.bz2
Description  Provided as 'html' files - so should open in you web browser..
bz2

Download 
Filename  Example-repository-listing.tar.bz2 
Filesize  15.3 KB 
Downloaded  381 Time(s) 

3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: