Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
disciple

#121 Post by disciple »

Puppy NEEDS glipper. Otherwise people come from Windows and say "the clipboard doesn't work", and we can't say, "but at least it is better in this way".
Packages from older puppies work fine.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

John Doe

#122 Post by John Doe »

problems that grub config could have fixed were mentioned a couple times recently. i also had trouble finding it when goofing around with a full alpha6 and an xp install on the same HD. should we drop something like this @ /usr/share/application/grubconfig.desktop?

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Grub Config
Icon=mini-ray.xpm
Comment=Gurb Config
Exec=grubconfig
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-SetupUtility
GenericName=Grub Config

BarryK
Puppy Master

#123 Post by BarryK »

John Doe wrote:problems that grub config could have fixed were mentioned a couple times recently. i also had trouble finding it when goofing around with a full alpha6 and an xp install on the same HD. should we drop something like this @ /usr/share/application/grubconfig.desktop?

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Grub Config
Icon=mini-ray.xpm
Comment=Gurb Config
Exec=grubconfig
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-SetupUtility
GenericName=Grub Config
I don't understand. The 'System' menu in Dingo has 'Grub bootloader config' which runs grubconfig.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#124 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:Puppy NEEDS glipper. Otherwise people come from Windows and say "the clipboard doesn't work", and we can't say, "but at least it is better in this way".
Packages from older puppies work fine.
It was taken out because I had trouble with it conflicting with copy/paste in SeaMonkey Composer.

There is an alternative:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Parcellite
...maybe I'll put that into the 4.00beta.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

......or even take out OceanPrimate?

John Doe

#126 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:I don't understand. The 'System' menu in Dingo has 'Grub bootloader config' which runs grubconfig.
lol, :oops:

whoops, I just missed it. Glad it's there. :-)

zygo

What's the real address for cpanel?

#127 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Some thoughts about your Hostgator phenomenon.

Browsers can be set to finish off a url with whatever was on the end before. Maybe Hostgator had first entered the url with a slash on the end and didn't notice the auto completion.

A web request from inside the Hostgator network may not be the same as one made from outside. Did they go through an external server eg http://web-sniffer.net/ One would presume they would check this but just in case.

People just miss off the terminating slash because they think it's unimportant. You can set Opera to stop client-based automatic redirections. It's surprising how many links even within the same website come back as "found at" or "moved to" url + slash. Even home pages often end in slash. Surely a significant efficiency issue.

allkonki.ru is probably some old configuration that needs removing by Hostgator - it has no ip. You get redirected there when the username is recognised but it's not terminated with a slash eg http://74.53.27.162/~bkauler.

The server should probably be set to redirect to url + slash when slash isn't already on the end.

Sage

#128 Post by Sage »

You can set Opera to stop client-based automatic redirections.
What will it take to get Barry to switch to Opera?! So far, he's been remarkably resistant. Now would be a marvellous time to make the switch because major changes are in prospect at Mozilla. These are already breeding a plethora of issues amongst testers. With security and everything else impinging on the time and skills of our leader, you'd have thought he'd take the cue?! Welcome back Sylpheed?

exProphecy

#129 Post by exProphecy »

I was just curious, has the bug with installing .pet and .pup files been fixed in Alpha 7?
Puppy 4.3.1 + Sansa Express MP3 Player + 10GB USB Flash Drive = My triple threat OS. :wink:
I consider myself a Turritopsis Nutricula.
[url]http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]
[url]http://www.esnips.com/web/exprophecypets[/url]

Sage

#130 Post by Sage »

Choosing themes for 4.00beta

What still remains is choice of a desktop background image -- always a very difficult choice.
Difficult to beat the stark appeal of a plain black background. It tells the world 'this is a serious piece of work and we aren't going to distract you with mindless frivolity'. A small coloured textual logo in one quadrant needn't distract, even though it might add a few bytes. Minimalism is where it's at with design.

Joshas

#131 Post by Joshas »

Whole color theme, including wallpaper, should be made darker to reduce eye strain.

Farnie

Re: desktop background

#132 Post by Farnie »

Please keep the the background light and uncluttered.

Please keep text dark and in high contrast to background.

First impressions should be for clear, concise and mainstream.

(Old eyes need high contrast and little obstruction.)

Of course, ease in changing background, themes, etc. makes it resolvable for everyone.

Farnie

Sage

#133 Post by Sage »

(Old eyes need high contrast ..........)
Oh no they don't. That's a recipe for maximum eyestrain.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#134 Post by DreamsToGo »

Barry, there appears to be a bug in epdfviewer when trying to select a printer in the printers menu.

Open a pdf document (mine is a google docs generated pdf). It opens fine. Go to file/print; it gives you the printer choice menu. I have two, the pdf printer and a cups printer which is on my local network (it works from other applications on Puppy, such as Abiword). When I try to select the cups printer in epdfview the printers dialog just disappears. No crash, no messages, nothing and no print.

Dingo, Alpha 7

Sage

#135 Post by Sage »

Barry:
Now, what is it that actually writes to /etc/resolv.conf? pppd?
It won't help you, but having static IP over here, I've encountered problems writing and saving resolv.config in several other distros. Rarely, it can be entered at the console, viz <nameserver abc.def.ghi.jkl> and knows where and how to store it - but not often. The curse are those distro that prevent root access, so that editing resolv.conf cannot be saved. At times, I've discarded these as useless on that basis alone. Indeed, P3.01 has been the first thing to reach for when trying to fix this issue. Often it's US-based distros that fail on this account because most folks there seem to have DHCP. Never found a discussion about it, either, but I probably won't be looking in the same places as you.