Buddapup Dingo

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyluvr

Buddapup Dingo

#1 Post by puppyluvr »

>>>UPDATE...BuddaPup_217 replaced by BuddaPup_Dingo, see bottom of thread. :D

@ Laptop users, I always boot Puppy with ACPI=OFF to keep my fan
running..ACPI=FORCE might also work for some laptops... :D :D

[/quote]Enlightenment is fast. No, really. It's fast. It is known to run on very slow machines (like 100 Mhz CPU, 64 MB of RAM) well. So you really don't need a modern desktop to see some eye-candy and to use a modern graphical environment. Even more – you can control how fast you want it by using it's Performance configuration panel to change the cache settings and more. Enlightenment.org[/quote]
Last edited by puppyluvr on Mon 21 Jul 2008, 06:04, edited 19 times in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

prit1

#2 Post by prit1 »

@Puppyluvr: Is wbar possible in Enlightenment? Maybe worth a try. If it works, will make Buddapup more attractive. :)

I will let you know my feedback after trying this one. Thanks for your work.

puppyluvr

Wbar

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hey Prit1 :D
As for wbar, it`s doubtfull, because Enlightenment pretty much overwrites everything..Menu`s , Background`s, Icon`s, Theme`s, the whole 9 yards...
E17 comes with Ibar and Idock, (seen above) , but it might be worth trying...
I`d like to get a version of Cairo-Dock for 217..But Enlightenment
would probably overwrite it too.. :D
Enlightenment is kind of a beast, but worth it if you can tame her.. :D

Thanks....Jay....

prit1

#4 Post by prit1 »

@Puppyluvr: Good news. I burned your Buddapup_2.17 and now am online using that. Looks great. Thanks for all the work on this version.

Tried my favorite video streams but did not work. I always have had success using gxine online epecially on 2.17.

One suggestion: If you can have better resolution icons, might look better.

GREAT Job. :)

puppyluvr

#5 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Thank`s Prit1 :D

Flash should be pre-inabled in Firefox, but Firefox treats fullscreen flash as a
Pop-up...which it is. You have to enable pop-up`s for the site..
MPlayer still refuses to fullscreen even tho I installed the codecs.. I will figure
it out ASAP...LOL...
Opera, meanwhile, is a little more tricky...The PET I used comes with Flash
already set-up (Thanks to Ttuuxxx) and works "out of the box" on my other remasters..
I`ve already tried installing the Flash Tarball, The Flash for Opera pup, ect..IDK.
I`ll get on that ASAP too.... :D

Thank`s....Jay

Brandon

#6 Post by Brandon »

It might be a decent idea to change the name, pushing religion is something that can really upset people.
"Develop for it? I'll piss on it." -Bill Gates on the NeXTcube

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Brandon wrote:It might be a decent idea to change the name, pushing religion is something that can really upset people.
:?:
Buddapup is not pushing religion. It is not even using the right spelling of Buddha. Just as 'Enlightenment' is not pushing the experience but in this case the window manager. :)

People get upset if you don't push their choice of religion. If you even mention religion. If you mention anything etc.
They are upset. :?

Zen and the Heart of Blasphemy
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 53,0,0,1,0

It is for this reason I practice Buddhist meditation, to stop being upset by nothing much in particular. :D

Good luck with the new version. I became seasick with the last version (really) as there was a sloping sea image . . .
Maybe I am one of the sensitive souls that Brandon means?
Probably not . . . :roll:

Update: I see the spelling has been changed
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=YapInfo
YAP though big would turn it into a full Buddhist experience . . .
The important thing is if someone wants an Enlightenment based Puppy we know where to send them :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 13 Apr 2008, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyluvr

BuddaPup 217 R1

#8 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D

Well, after 2 weeks and 19 remasters :oops: I`ve finally figured it out..(and learned a lot about Puppy along the way} ..E17 changes the directory structure of the puppy its running on..
This causes the remaster script to "miss" things...(like Root and Ect.) Once you configure Enlightenment to your tastes the remaster doesnt work right..So I think I`m going to make an ISO out of this mulitsession Puppy.
I have this version running on 3 machines in my house,( 1 full install, 1 pup-save, and 1 frugal, plus the multisession cd).... even the one I`m on right now (My Wifes DELL laptop, only the second Puppy I`ve gotten to run on it, the other being wNOP}
Here is a shot of how it looks right now.. The Iconbox on the right by the clock shows minimized programs, and the icons rotate and move, while the flames flicker..and the rain falls..
I`ll create a sharable ISO of it yet :x :x
Will post further results.... :D

"Close the "Windows" and open your eyes to a whole new world"
Last edited by puppyluvr on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.

puppyluvr

#9 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
Last edited by puppyluvr on Mon 28 Apr 2008, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#10 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, I FINALLY got it .. :D :D :D
BuddaPup_217_final.iso ...The url is http://puppylinux.ca/members/BuddaPup/
I finally had to just rebuild the SFS myself.. The ISO is 223mb, and runs on my P3 600mhz w/256mb ram. It flies on my 1.8g P4 w/768ram :D I have not tried it on a 128ram machine yet.
Removed OpenOffice for size reasons, went with Abi-word/ABS instead..
The fire is still burning, but I turned off the rain by default for lower performance machines, its in {start/configuration/modules} if you want to turn it on.. Changed all the icons and added some more backgrounds..
.....STATS......
BuddaPup 217 contains: FatFree Puppy 217
Enlightenment E17
Firefox w/Flash
Opera w/Flash
Gaim
MPlayer
XMMS
Grafburn and Gcombust
Abi-Word
ABS Spreadsheet Editor
Bluefish
MTPaint 3.20

Issues: Enlightenment pops up a warning message when you close some programs
Ignore it and close the window..ABS start-up screen wont go away, just iconify it to get it out of the way. Fallback Window Manager is JWM..
I also recommend upgrading to Ttuuxxx`s Firefox+Flash+Java..Works great!!!!
If you have wireless trouble. try the dhcpcd-3.1.4.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=5333
It took a long time and a stiff neck, so I hope someone enjoys this one.. :D
Here is a screenshot off the default desktop...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

@Quoted from Linuxquestions.org from a thread about fast Window Managers...

sirtigger
LQ Newbie

Try BuddaPup
its a puppy linux with enlightenment as the WM
It is lightning fast
it uses dr17 Enlightenment and 2.17 puppy
I wish I was more experienced, I would make my own version of this combo and distribute it. I may still do that.

@@Thanks SirTigger!!!!
Last edited by puppyluvr on Sun 08 Jun 2008, 23:16, edited 2 times in total.
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

trucker33377

#12 Post by trucker33377 »

I just downloaded both the Buddapup's 215 wouldnt start xrog at all got it up on xversa but display was way to large 217 went a bit better display looked ok . now how do i connect to the net with my wireless?
this and sound has been the downfall on this Gateway MT3421 from the start so far puppy 4 has been the only thing that will work.

I like puppy 4 but ive got the ram and HD space so im looking for a bit more eye candi .

Im pretty much a noob with linux and puppy but im starting to understand things a little more with help of forums and wiki's.

PS if you ever see a Gateway on the roadside keep on going

puppyluvr

connecting to the net

#13 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello trucker33377 :D
The little magic hat on the I-bar is the Wizard. Click "connect by network interface"
If Puppy doesnt auto recognize your wireless card , please post your card make/model
here so we can hook you up with the right drivers..I think gateway uses broadcom , but Im not sure....

@Shame about Xorg in 215 not working for your gateway...I had the same trouble with my wifes dell...Only machine I couldnt get 215 to run on (till now LOL) 217 works fine on hers too.. I think its related to the intel 910/935 graphics in her dell..Strangely enough, wNOP runs great on her dell where BuddaPup 215 wont!!..I tested 215 on every machine I could, but we dont have a gateway...

Thanks for trying my Enlightened Puppies..hope one works out for you...
For a more basic, but full featured Puppy, try Transitions..(same url)
For even more eye=candy try TigerPup / wNOP/ or Macpup
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

trucker33377

#14 Post by trucker33377 »

puppy 4 seamonkey has rtl8180 thats working

other issue is tar.bz2

i would like to use this with secondlife but ive not figured out how to get it to run after i put it in the folder. buntu let you run the secndlife file from the folder without doing a full install. option run then it runs in the browser so you can log in to the game

i was really wowed when i put this distro on my old panasonic p2 128MB ram and saw how well it looked good job.
( I picked up 3 panasonic toughbooks off ebay , didnt really want them but then i didnt think 20 bucks would buy all 3)
all 3 had bad batterys put them in the deep freeze they work now just fine ;)

puppyluvr

#15 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Ill have to try the deep freeze trick on my Wife`s laptop...THX :D

Hope my Pup works good for you..Remember E-17 is still in alpha and considered unstable..
Please post any strange things it does, cause after a while I may Remaster it again with any bug-fixes I uncover by then...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puptentacle

#16 Post by puptentacle »

Just a quick note to let you know you've combined two of my favorite things: Enlightenment and Puppy and I'm "adopting" your pup right now. I hope he gets along OK with the other animal on my hard drive (It's a Heron:D). Looks really good. I'll let you know what I think after it's all set up.

trucker33377

#17 Post by trucker33377 »

puppyluvr wrote::D Ill have to try the deep freeze trick on my Wife`s laptop...THX :D

Hope my Pup works good for you..Remember E-17 is still in alpha and considered unstable..
Please post any strange things it does, cause after a while I may Remaster it again with any bug-fixes I uncover by then...
just be sure to let it warm back up to room temp b4 u put it back in, also works with cell phone batterys too

runtt21

clip on youtube

#18 Post by runtt21 »

First let me say that the video is not that great.I tried 217 and was really impressed with it so I just grabbed that camera and started shooting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8sA8Si_lro

On my other linux clips I used recoredmydesktop and I know people who use xvidcap but I cant find pup versions anywhere so sorry its not as good as the others .

Great Job on this one, I look froward to the updated 4.00 version !!

puppyluvr

#19 Post by puppyluvr »

@ runtt21,
Thank you, :D Im glad you like it! Im hoping it will be more stable under Dingo. So far it looks good.
The Problems relate to Flash and Enlightenment and kill the Browsers dead! Firefox 3 lacks too many libs to run, and Opera 9.50 runs sluggish and renders the window menus in text! However, Icecat seems to run well in E-17, and Flash doesnt kill it (so far LOL) If you are running the 217 / E-17 Buddapup
I would give it a try if Flash gives you trouble too. It may just be my setup, IDK.
Browsers and E-17 are the big the big reason Im looking at Dingo. 2.17 worked OK but a newer
Puppy base will help a lot, I hope. Looks wise, I`m not changing much, I like the setup the way it is. E-17
is more limited style wise than E-16, and once you get a setup you like, well, you know. :D Im hunting down Libs to get a working 217 / E-17 version of Firefox 3 and will test it with Buddapup, but for the
4.00 version the Browser is still up in the air.
@ I tried to compile Recordmydesktop for Buddapup 217, and it seemed to work, but the output files
were corrupt, and about 5mb per second.LOL. All the libs are there and it seems to work fine, so.......
am looking at xvidcap....

PS one of the features of Enlightenment I love is the ability to drag windows between pagers. I find it very useful.
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

runtt21

#20 Post by runtt21 »

I found this the other day , saved it on a flash drive, haven't used it yet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 83&t=24951