TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#101 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I do a full install everytime.

Hello ttuuxxx,
The PC (built around 2000) with the old 4x CD drive was owned by a teenager who was on it 24/7 and most likely played CD's day and night and I'd say the half the trouble is the CD Drive is most likely worn out big time.
Now as I have an near new external DVD Burner I use that between my old laptop and this old PC and mount it under /dev/sr0 there's no need to find a fix for this. I can live with the extra 5 seconds it takes to mount and install TEENpup/Puppy. Thanks anyway for wanting to help get it working.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

rastapax

#102 Post by rastapax »

Hello was seeing your proposal and I think it's interesting
But have not thought integrate
Something like style home eee PC version but puppy? Is feasible to do so?

Like you I am trying to make my contribution but graphically

Com carries one years this post
Http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=182482 # 182482

And a microsite where I am trabjando
Http://12design.cl/puppy

Greetings

rastapax

#103 Post by rastapax »

Hello was seeing your proposal and I think it's interesting
But have not thought integrate
Something like style home eee PC version but puppy? Is feasible to do so?

Like you I am trying to make my contribution but graphically

Com carries one years this post
Http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=182482 # 182482

And a microsite where I am working
Http://12design.cl/puppy

Greetings

soory fotr trsanlation

TrailerTrash

TP2008

#104 Post by TrailerTrash »

I've been trying to download from softpedia using xwget with no success. I can't manage to get the URL correct. I've not had this trouble with other mirrors.

Will someone please respond with the correct URL to be entered in the xwget gui?

ps I like xwget because I have dialup. Other d/l managers can be a waste of time for me.

tks

TT

Qiyasea

#105 Post by Qiyasea »

Thanks anyway, John.
The only question I need answered right now is how to get Teenpup2008 connected to the internet.
I don't know of any other forum where I can find answers to Teenpup2008 issues.

PuppyLinux is not my focus and I don't know if the same solutions would apply to both. I only mentioned PuppyLinux in my previous posts to indicate that the connection had previously been working with that distro.

I'll just reload Windows for now on that computer and maybe some day down the line, if I can find out how to get Teenpup2008 online, I can work with that again. (Ideally when it's more user-friendly to those of us non-techies new to Linux)

Good luck on your endeavors.
john biles wrote:
Hello Qiyasea,
I think like alot of us and if I take User DreamsToGo as an example with her excellent work on how to setup up TEENpup and Puppy to file share her Music collect between her 4 PC's. What started out original was a posting by DreamsToGo for help on setting up her file sharing which finally led her to discover by herself how it could be done.
I for one have learnt alot from this forum, but I had to do alot of searching for answers myself.
I hope someone will be able to help you and I also suggest you post your question under "Puppy 2.14 user" help needed can't setup wireless in regular area of this forum.
The reason for this is not everyone is interested in TEENpup compared to Puppy and I sure there's a Puppy user who has got your setup working under Puppy 2.14.

ttuuxxx

#106 Post by ttuuxxx »

[quote="Qiyasea"]Thanks anyway, John.
The only question I need answered right now is how to get Teenpup2008 connected to the internet.
I don't know of any other forum where I can find answers to Teenpup2008 issues.

/quote]
very simple its the same as Puppy Linux.
on the desktop click setup, then click connect to the network by the interface if your using some sort of adsl or cable
then select eth0 if its shown
then select auto dhcp
and then click save and done
that works for me
ttuuxxx

if that doesn't help just tell me what kind of net you have and what was error you had.
ttuuxxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Qiyasea

#107 Post by Qiyasea »

Thanks ttuuxxx!
I've done that numerous times & it doesn't work for me. :-(

When I boot into Teenpup2008, a window pops up indicating it recognizes that there are two internet connections - ethernet (eth0) & wifi (eth1) - but I can't actually get connected.

When I use the internet wizard to test it, one of them shows a live connection, the other says it can't find a connection. When I click on DHCP, it always comes back "unsuccessful". So no internet.

I don't know enough about programming to have a clue what to check next. I think perhaps Linux distros are just not quite suitable (yet) for non-techies like me :-(

Edit: I have ADSL internet. just fyi. I use either ethernet or wi-fi to connect.
I'm going to just let this issue drop for now as I've already spent many hours trying to resolve this one issue. But I hope if anyone else has this problem a solution does come out. Thanks much!
ttuuxxx wrote: very simple its the same as Puppy Linux.
on the desktop click setup, then click connect to the network by the interface if your using some sort of adsl or cable
then select auto dhcp
that works for me
ttuuxxx

if that doesn't help just tell me what kind of net you have and what was error you had.
ttuuxxxx

Sage

#108 Post by Sage »

Where are you? [Edit your profile]. More folks in Europe are on static IP which means you have to get the DNS from your ISP and the gateway from your router. A lot of amateur US developers don't seem to know about static IP which is also used by their professionals.

ttuuxxx

#109 Post by ttuuxxx »

Qiyasea wrote:Thanks ttuuxxx!
I've done that numerous times & it doesn't work for me. :-(

When I boot into Teenpup2008, a window pops up indicating it recognizes that there are two internet connections - ethernet (eth0) & wifi (eth1) - but I can't actually get connected.

When I use the internet wizard to test it, one of them shows a live connection, the other says it can't find a connection. When I click on DHCP, it always comes back "unsuccessful". So no internet.

I don't know enough about programming to have a clue what to check next. I think perhaps Linux distros are just not quite suitable (yet) for non-techies like me :-(

Edit: I have ADSL internet. just fyi. I use either ethernet or wi-fi to connect.
ttuuxxx wrote: very simple its the same as Puppy Linux.
then select auto dhcp
that works for me
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxxx
let me guess you have an onboard lan/(nic)/ plugin right, Best thing to do, is the same that I've always done in that situation.
Go to your local computer parts surplus shop and buy a PCI Ethernet card. Just a cheap run of the mill $5 one. Thats all I use and it works every time, for some reason built in motherboard ones generally don't work.!
But hey $5 to have all the free stuff you can download legally and plus have fun talking to people and who knows maybe 1yr down the road or so have your own puppy variant release. Its a great investment.
ttuuxxx

or you can go the wireless way with ndiswrapper.
I would buy the card, It save me 3 times already.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sage

#110 Post by Sage »

$5? You wuz robbed. Mine generally come gratis from ex-equipment but s/h cards go for <£1 here. Cheaper by the dozen.

Dingo

#111 Post by Dingo »

a simple install question:

I have already one pup_save in my frugal install of puppy 3.01. I want now making a frugal install also for TeenPup, because I have only a 256 MB of RAM and live-cd can't run entirely in RAM, so CD Drive makes a lot of noise reading the disc. So I want make a frugal install of TeenPup.

this (TeenPup frugal install process) may damage existent pup_save file (from puppy 3.01) or not?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

muggins

#112 Post by muggins »

may damage existent pup_save file
Dingo,

I don't know, but two solutions. Copy your pup_save to a different name, then if corruption does ocurr, just rename the backup & your back in business. Secondly, teenpup will probably be looking for the pup_save in /mnt/home, but pup301 can exist in it's own subdirectory. Why not move pup301, including it's pup_save, to a subdirectory, & modify grub's menu.lst accordingly?

Dingo

#113 Post by Dingo »

these are wise advices. I wil backup all pup_save related files (pup_save.2fs, zdrv.sfs and 301.sfs) and, I will buy another hard disk drive so I can put in it a test frugal install of teenpup (having, of course, needing of further space on disk)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

crabbypup

#114 Post by crabbypup »

hey, could the next version of teenpup include the splashscreen package?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26339

i think it would be a pretty big step towards getting more xp'ers to come over to the linux side. just my two cents.

crabbypup

#115 Post by crabbypup »

hello fellow teenpup 2008 users (and creator) if anyone wants to assist me or comment on this propsition:

i am building a teenpup 2008variant based on 3.01 for driver purposes (my audio card is not properly recognized) so, if someone could provide me with a list of apps and components (i am doing this from the unleashed packages). i am kind of a linux newbie but i need this support for my hardware, and this was the best way to get what i wanted. sooo, help or suggetions? thanks.

crabby.

john biles

#116 Post by john biles »

Hello crabbypup,
Very little of TEENpup extra Apps comes from Barry K's unleashed packages. About 10% comes from this forum.
About 60% comes from many different versions of Debian, Mandriva, Slax and the list goes on.
The rest comes from searching the web.
On and OFF TEENpup 2008 took me 4 and a half months.
I wish you well. I will be building a version based on Puppy series 3, but don't expect it for a few months. :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

crabbypup

#117 Post by crabbypup »

hmm. i found an easier way to do it than i said before. i installed 3.01 on my machine with grub and so on... now i have to find all the packages i want(it will be multimedia oriented for recording and playback) then i will do the remaster live cd thing. and that's all i have to say about that(as forrest gump would say) :D i could have it out by ohh, say next month? :lol: well, there is no competition here, you are plainly better than i am. and you will definitely do a much better job than me. (and my iso will probably be HUGE!)

see ya round john!

crabby.

crabbypup

#118 Post by crabbypup »

hmm. well, after 2 days of working on it i have decided that, life is tough and you can't expect everything to work for you all the time. it has also occurred to me that i was naive to think that i would have it out by next month. :oops:

i am sorry if i sounded... (overconfident, stupid, childish....) and i apologize to all the REAL developers out there, i now have alot more respect for people developing a project like this. sorry everyone. and i suppose i'll just keep working on mine when i have time. (ya do great work john :) )

Emperorborg

TEENPUP

#119 Post by Emperorborg »

Well what to say,

AWSOME! I really loved Teenpup, biles, Do you have any future plans for it? Is there other plans you have?

I read the article on your Teenpup, which got me into your programme, I have no idea what that guy was on about, I could play DVD's, Cd's Burnt and legite no problem at all.

I think people worry about the growing popularity of your Teenpup Biles.

All I can say is keep up the great work mate, Dont worry about what sag says hes a depressive natured oldie, Sage is the past Biles, You my friend are the future keep up the great work mate!

Brodz

ragaman

Good Pup but some help needed

#120 Post by ragaman »

Hi. Congratulations and a million thanks for a great OS. It's so good that I decided to replace Ubuntu with it. However, I have two issues:

1. I can't get the sound to work. I tried to configure ALSA but no go.
2. To keep in touch with relatives abroad we use Gyachi. I tried to compile the latest source code but when I did ./configure, it returned "Automake 1.5 or later is needed". so i downloaded the Automake1.5 source code and tried to compile it. ./configure went fine. However, when I did "make", it returned Command not found error. What do I need to install?

Thanks.