Macpup 2.17.1 Alpha 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
prit1

#61 Post by prit1 »

@Django: If you are after the launch bar, then you can just download the wbar (there is a separate thread for this) and install it. I can help you out with options and setup. I have done this in a regular puppy with jwm and works perfectly. I like this kind of setup very much.

Here is the forum link for the wbar thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19742.

But if you really want the launch bar and the Mac look, then you can use Macpup.

Django

#62 Post by Django »

Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow I will play with it .
It seems our minds are on the same page. Nice. :P

CEL

#63 Post by CEL »

@All,

I've been a Mac user for a long time, and started using Linux only fairly recently, so I have an eye for what looks mac-ish and not. My screenshot here shows the results of my efforts towards bringing the OS X look and feel to Puppy.

A puplet of something like this is a great idea; I propose the name "iPup." Now, if you want it to appeal to Mac users, it should look (and feel) like the real OS X. That means things like a single menu bar at the top of the screen, realistic themes, and a dock instead of a task bar.

I am using wNOP (Xfce + Compiz Fusion). The theme is Leopardish, and it is for GTK, Emerald, and Xfwm. It is the most realistic-looking OSX-clone theme that I have found. It is bundled, along with icons, cursors, and other goodies, in the Mac4Lin project. The dock is Cairo-Dock. The Global Menu bar is achieved by installing a patched version of GTK and an xfce4- or gnome- panel plugin. (More info here and here.) I was able to find binary packages for these, which I can upload here if people are interested.

-CEL

prit1

#64 Post by prit1 »

@CEL: That is a cool screenshot. One thing that is true is many of us have just have seen screenshots of Mac OSx but not actually worked on it.

I had tried out to make the Macpup initially with Xfce, but encountered some errors and then when Ttuuxxx came out with the light icewm, I went with that.

Though I know that Cairo Dock gives a more Mac like look, decided not to use it because it is a little heavy especially when working on older systems. So the use of wbar.

One of these days I might try remastering using Xfce and see if it goes well with the wbar.

Or, you can try remastering with the wbar (without Cairo Dock) and see how it goes.

I also want the Macpup to be less than 100MB (Just a personal target)

ttuuxxx

#65 Post by ttuuxxx »

It does look nice :) I can get the taskbar to look like that in icewm. well I can round the left side of the start menu. But I don't think it is possible to round the right side because it isn't a image file. Also do mac's have finder, file, view,Go,Help
and if so what are their puppy counterparts? So I can link them up with the proper counter parts

Finder=??
File=??
View=??
Go=??
Help=??
The reason why is because I haven't touched a mac since the early 80's. And apple has changed a lot since then:)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Django

#66 Post by Django »

My jaw dropped about 4 inches when I saw this picture.
I used mac since the introduction of the classic (os 7) and went from powermac 8200 to the iMac. After 2 iMacs broke down on me I switched to XP
It was just around the time os X was introduced.
osX was to heavy on the iMac I guess. :lol:
They didn't have a fan to cool them by the way.
I was told by Apple that repairing them would be pointless. $$$$$
If a Mac goes down on you there's not much you can do. I still remember the sound they make when they hit the bottom of the trash container.
A pc is much simpler to fix and these days just as good to work on as a Mac.
Puppy is a real solution for those who want a cheap alternative to Mac and Microsoft. For me the desktop doesn't have to be a exact clone of osx.
But the dock is a good thing and every computer should have one.
wBar is nice enough for me. So I'm happy now.
You guys should get a medal for your exelent work. That's what I call think different. (as used by apple in the early days)

This puppy is growing into a dobberman pinsher :twisted:
I'm proud to be a puppy user :D

earlytv

#67 Post by earlytv »

Looks nice but I thought that the special graphic features from wNOP or anything base on wNOP only works on some graphics chips and not others?
Retired from GM, a Etech on engine electronics
Like to play with older computers and TVs

DENNIS

nic2109

#68 Post by nic2109 »

The work cel has done is awesome and getting very close to being an iPuppy. My wife uses a Mac laptop all the time and I've been looking for ages for just this sort of Puppy to make my Dull - sorry "Dell" :wink: - look as good! The task bar is practically perfect as regards fonts and icons, though it lacks the equivalent of Spotlight.

I'm reasonably familiar with MacOS X as a user, so can answer a few question about what does what.
ttuuxxx wrote:It does look nice :) I can get the taskbar to look like that in icewm. well I can round the left side of the start menu. But I don't think it is possible to round the right side because it isn't a image file. Also do mac's have finder, file, view,Go,Help
and if so what are their puppy counterparts? So I can link them up with the proper counter parts

Finder=??
File=??
View=??
Go=??
Help=??
The reason why is because I haven't touched a mac since the early 80's. And apple has changed a lot since then:)
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx :- the answer isn't straight-forward because in MacOS X the menu items in the the taskbar (top left) are the options for whichever application window has focus at the time. so they need to be dynamically maintained. Thus File, View, Go and so on in the screenshot would relate to the specific menus entries for the 'Finder'. In MacOS terminology the 'Finder' is equivalent to ROX-filer or Thunar (or even the dreaded Windows Explorer), and is the base application which is launched when X starts and should always be a Dock item.

Other apps include Mplayer as media player (which equals Quicktime) for video or XMMS (equals iTunes) for audio, GIMP for Photoshop/iPhoto (though iPhoto is principally about cataloguing and organising with quite limited editting functions - so it's not really equivalent to GIMP), the compass icon is for the default browser, while the magnifying glass is for 'Spotlight' which is a powerful search facility which scans both file names and content (when in text - thus it will match and find names in an address file for example). In Puppy pfind would do for that application.

The very left-most icon in MacOS's Task Bar is an apple (naturally) which bring up the system utilities menu, and the right-most entry is for Spotlight.

Is that any help?
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

Boo2themoon

#69 Post by Boo2themoon »

@ Prit1
This is a fine project, I love the mac look and have tried to make my xfce pup have the clean looks of the mac.
But I just moved the panels around to achieve a similar user experience and use the Agualemon window theme and ifox for Firefox
I haven't achieved anything like the look of your macpup.
But I would say that using Xfce would be a better starting point than Icewm, as there are some very good themes available and Xfce is really good anyway.
Thanks for sharing this.

@CEL
Mac looks, Puppy power, Xfce and Compiz!
That is one serious Pup you have there! Fantastic.
How does the cairo dock get on with the compiz cube effects?
How big is it?
Any chance of sharing this puplet with us? (drool)

prit1

#70 Post by prit1 »

@Boo2themoon: Thanks. Yeah Xfce might provide a more clean look.

@CEL: Since you have worked on this, it would be great if you can take NOP5 as a starting point and add these themes/panels and provide us all a remaster if you have time. I didnt suggest wNOP (though its one of my favorites) because I am looking to provide something that works on older hardware. If you do this, please use wbar instead of Cairo dock (same reason - to work smoothly on older hardware).

@Ttuuxxx: It would be great to see how an ICEWM panel modified to look like this global menu would look like. But I dont know how easy this is going to be.

Finally a small announcement:
Have an updated version of Macpup available. Please see the first post in this thread for details. Thanks for all the support.

lesel

#71 Post by lesel »

@Cell, that is excellent, I was too looking at the global menu option, with wNOP. http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/ Probably going to need two versions a NOP and a wNOP. :lol: that is one powerful ipup. Now if somebody has the skills to compile The WebKit open source browser with safari engine, that would be awesome. But I have read it's hard to compile. Thanks http://webkit.org/

CEL

#72 Post by CEL »

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I will try to find time to make a remaster (something I haven't done before). If I base it on wNOP, won't it still work on older computers just using Xfwm instead of Compiz? I understand now that Compiz & Cairo-Dock can be a bit heavy, but they do provide a more osx-like experience. I will look into wbar and other alternatives though. Of course I could make two versions, one wobbly and one lite.

@Boo2themoon,
Cairo-Dock works very well; I haven't noticed any significant issues running it, and it shows up in every workspace on the cube like it should. I'm not really sure how big it all is because I've put a bunch of other stuff on the computer, but I think the biggest part is the icon set from Mac4Lin, at 20 MB, but that could be made smaller by only including the icons for apps that Puppy uses. Also the patched GTK is another 20 MB but in a remaster that won't have much effect.

@lesel,
Yeah! I want to use Midori or Epiphany as the browser, as they use Webkit and work with the global menu patch (unlike Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera). Alas, compiling Webkit really is a chore. So many mysterious errors finally forced me to give up (for the time being).

Anyway, here's a package I made that switches RutilT's icons with ones taken from the "airport" menu item on a mac:
It's the thing on the left. And the Spotlight icon on the right is just a launcher for pfind.
Attachments
rutilt-mac-theme.pup
OS X icons for RutilT
(28.54 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

prit1

#73 Post by prit1 »

@CEL: You are right in saying that wNOP will still work on older hardware. But the only issue is the wNOP increases the size of the resulting ISO to around 130MB.

Probably as lesel suggested, you can try having 2 remasters - 1 from NOP and 1 from wNOP. All this if you have time.

Or another alternative would be to create a pet or pup or sfs file out of all your additions to wNOP and we could just add this over an existing Puppy installation to give it the Mac look.

All this views on this thread suggest that Mac looking puppy is of good interest to many folks. The views dont indicate that I did anything big at all. I just put together (assembled) the good stuff others created. So if you can create a better Mac looking derivative, that will definitely become a big success.

nic2109

#74 Post by nic2109 »

CEL wrote:Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I will try to find time to make a remaster (something I haven't done before).
Please, please, please do - I'm sure it will become a very popular download.

One word of warning as you are new to remastering. Do be sure to follow the instructions carefully regarding clearing your private data as it's possible to include your passwords and so in the iso file.

I once downloaded and tried out a Puplet, navigated to gmail and was logged straight into the iso builder's mail! :o

Forum member 'Caneri' is very obliging regarding hosting, so send him a PM and he'll give you the instructions for when you are ready.

Good luck, and be sure to post when it's available; we can hardly wait.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

Django

#75 Post by Django »

Hey prit1 thanks for the update of macpup.
Better starting wBar (cool)
I was wondering.
Wy not add the trashcan to the dock?

CEL

#76 Post by CEL »

@nic2109: Thanks for the warning!

I will be sure to post as soon as I have made a remaster (or sfs maybe). :)

prit1

#77 Post by prit1 »

@Django: You are welcome. And thanks for the suggestion. Trash can be in the next version update or maybe if CEL comes up with his remaster, we can request him to add this.

earlytv

#78 Post by earlytv »

Thanks to all for working on the MACPUP, MACOSX stuff. Other linux have versions that look like a MAC but talk about bloat, huge size, Like gOS that is on the linux system WALMART used to sell, try almost 700 meg, dont even fit on some blank CDs I have.

Off to vacation see ya all next week!!
Retired from GM, a Etech on engine electronics
Like to play with older computers and TVs

DENNIS

Django

#79 Post by Django »

Yeah I'm looking forward to Cels remastered puppy.

Boo2themoon

#80 Post by Boo2themoon »

I will be sure to post as soon as I have made a remaster (or sfs maybe).
Thats great news, looking forward to it. :D
--
Just spotted this post by magerlab about the midori browser
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 801#185801