New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MyPup

#261 Post by MyPup »

Well after adding ttuuxxx on ice I decided to go back to thinblack2 theme which can be found here http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=55648 but i didn't like the start button so I went to http://www.ttuuxxx.com/ and used one of my favorite ttuuxxx buttons. Now if someone with the skills could remaster pupeee with compiz <-because I dont have the skills then I could get rid of doze on my ssd as im running yodm3d on xp.
Attachments
cap.png
(113.46 KiB) Downloaded 1799 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#262 Post by Lobster »

Am also using PupEee now on a std 5yr old Pc based laptop and am sure that all I did to get correct keyboard layout was to use keyboard wizard and set local country in desktop settings.
Hmmm, Either I don't have that issue or I don't know what you are referring to. The "at" sign is achieved by pressing shift+2 on both my desktop and Eee while running Pupeee.
Thanks guys ;)
Just choosing country desktop settings was not sufficient
I went to wizards / keyboard / xorg / layout
and choose UK - this solved it

It is a credit to PupEEE that I have been using it for a couple of weeks now - even with the weird keyboard. :oops:
Have installed Firefox and intend to create Light based on your Dingo Beta version of Pupeee (if that is your plan Dan?)
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... xxineLight

. . . another thing Barry is looking for a reason to include MurgaLua in Dingo - The control panel would be that reason . . .
Have you contacted Barry / John Murga?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Grayson

Wireless Problem

#263 Post by Grayson »

I have a 4G Surf and pupeee (301) running on a Flash Drive. I can boot into pupeee and connect to my WPA Access Point and surf the Net just fine. However, I cannot connect to any open net such as the library or Atlanta Bread Company. If I boot back to Xandros I can connect and surf, no problems. Back into pupeee and no joy. Another curious thing is every other time I scan in pupeee the Wizard reports "No Networks Found". And I mean every other time, no exceptions. Anyone have an suggestions?

Thanks,

Grayson

ricstef

eeepc wireless

#264 Post by ricstef »

@Grayson
Another curious thing is every other time I scan in pupeee the Wizard reports "No Networks Found".
Is your blue light on before you scan ? If not, touch Fn + F2 to activate your wireless transmitter.
Sounds like your wireless is disabled until you scan, at which time the wizard seems to turn it on. Then, when you scan again it can receive the signals that are available. HTH.

Cheers,
Richard

Grayson

Re: eeepc wireless

#265 Post by Grayson »

Is your blue light on before you scan ? If not, touch Fn + F2 to activate your wireless transmitter.
Sounds like your wireless is disabled until you scan, at which time the wizard seems to turn it on. Then, when you scan again it can receive the signals that are available. HTH.
Cheers,
Richard
Yes, the blue light is on. As I said I can connect to my WPA encrypted AP, just not to an open network at public places.

Grayson

BigEd

#266 Post by BigEd »

dvw86 wrote:Hmmm, Either I don't have that issue or I don't know what you are referring to. The "at" sign is achieved by pressing shift+2 on both my desktop and Eee while running Pupeee.
The UK keyboard is slightly different from the US one (just to confuse every one nodoubt) the " and @ are the other way around. Having a uk machine mine is wrong as well, but im used to it as my desktop is wrong as well.....

dvw86

#267 Post by dvw86 »

Lobster wrote: Have installed Firefox and intend to create Light based on your Dingo Beta version of Pupeee (if that is your plan Dan?)
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... xxineLight
I may use the final version of Dingo (Puppy 4) but for now I am sticking with Puppy 3.01. There are enough differences between them that it would mean starting over. Barry is still trying too many things and making too many changes for me to do a re-write and then have Barry make a change that breaks it. I really like Dingo but I want to wait for it to stabilize first.
Lobster wrote: . . . another thing Barry is looking for a reason to include MurgaLua in Dingo - The control panel would be that reason . . .
Have you contacted Barry / John Murga?
John is aware of the control panel and has even helped me in using murgaLua as a web CGI language for the next release of Pupeee. I think that the control panel would be a good addition to Dingo. MurgaLua is so small, powerful, versatile, and easy to use that it is hard to not like it. Barry knows of the control panel but I have not asked him to include it. I don't know if he is aware of it's progress though. I just figure that if he likes it well enough or thinks that it is a good fit for his goals, than he would put it in.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#268 Post by Lobster »

Thanks for the info Dan :)

Enclosed is screenshot of Lit which basically would turn your existing Pupeee into Light
by enclosing it in the startup directory

I know it works with Pupeee and with slight mods would work on Dingo or Lassie.

Basically it comprises of links to the most popular addons (via pages were sfs or dotpups can be downloaded) a welcome wizard and a new version of Glint.
It uses Pupeees in built icons and so adds very little overhead - you might find it of use. Open source so modify as you see fit if of use . . .

file enclosed :)
Attachments
lit2.zip
(14.32 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

John Lewis

#269 Post by John Lewis »

Hi All,

Well I have tried all the flavours of pupeee in my eeepc and desktop and I am impressed. It works very well so far but with one exception and that is Gxine and xine. Both crash when I try to use them for DVD files.

Error about X server if I recall.. I then tried my P301 disk. Same problem but works fine in 2.15CE.
Seems the problem is in 301 rather than pupeee. I vaguely remember reading something of this but can't turn it up in a search.

Any one else have this problem ?

John Lewis

smokey01

#270 Post by smokey01 »

John Lewis wrote:Hi All,

Well I have tried all the flavours of pupeee in my eeepc and desktop and I am impressed. It works very well so far but with one exception and that is Gxine and xine. Both crash when I try to use them for DVD files.

Error about X server if I recall.. I then tried my P301 disk. Same problem but works fine in 2.15CE.
Seems the problem is in 301 rather than pupeee. I vaguely remember reading something of this but can't turn it up in a search.

Any one else have this problem ?
Hi John,

I have the same problem in 3.01. It doesn't always cause problems though. I can usually get the DVD running but if I change something like full screen, maximise a window or even just move a smaller window it crashes. If I restart JWM all is good again.

This also happens with other video files such as WMV.

I can't comment on the Pupeee version running a DVD as I have not tried it. Nor have I tried it on my EeePC.

Hopefully Barry and the team have got this sorted in Dingo.

Regards

Smokey

teh603

#271 Post by teh603 »

So here's the hard way to go from Xandros to Pupeee, with a mac, a ramstick and an old Winbook:

1. Use the mac disk utility to burn the Pupeee ISO to a CD.

2. Start the winbook off the Pupeee CD. Its an M-series so I have to use Xvesa instead of Xorg, but that's ok.

3. Use the installer to install Pupeee on the stickdrive.

4. Start the eee off the stickdrive.

Thus far testing to see if everything works before replacing my Xandros with Pupeee. Thus far the wireless doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: Turned out I had to change one checkbox from "open" to "restricted."

Edit 2: Ok, I tried using gpart to clear up most of the space on the system and user partitions, and then installed Pupeee to it. Now its giving me "error 15". Any help?

Edit the Last: Got it to work. You might want to include a warning that there's a significant (say 3+ minutes?) gap between when the "copying files" dialog vanishes and the config for GRUB appears, and that the installation isn't done until the fat worm sings.

Nooblet question of the day: How do I get a .sfs file to work for installing something like OpenOffice?

teh603

#272 Post by teh603 »

Ok, minor issue. Even when using the boot manager, I still can't get it to load the OpenOffice 2.4 .sfs on startup. Anybody know why?

John Lewis

#273 Post by John Lewis »

Smokey wrote... (about Gxine)

I have the same problem in 3.01. It doesn't always cause problems though. I can usually get the DVD running but if I change something like full screen, maximise a window or even just move a smaller window it crashes. If I restart JWM all is good again.

Thanks for the reply Smokey,

Seems I'm not alone with this.
I have found some more now in the users section. Probably best I move the query to there as it is not specific to pupeee.
I found I can get it to work as long as I use Xvesa. Gxine does not seem to crash if you use keyboard controls or pause the playback before resizing etc.

Looking forward to a Dingo Version.

John Lewis

JohnRoberts

#274 Post by JohnRoberts »

tqwe wrote:dvw86,pupeee takes 48 seconds from grub to screen,with full install on the hdc.
dvw86 wrote:Interesting, I just timed Pupeee booting from a frugal install off of the internal SSD and a 128MB pup_save file. Total time from the push of the button to the working desktop was 48 seconds. It felt like it took longer to boot the kernel than it did to load Pupeee. I'm not sure what all this means, but I thought it was interesting. I'm sure that a full hard drive install would be faster since it would not have to load everything into RAM.
1. Got my Eee (4G/Surf) and it can boot from an SD card in 48 seconds, apparently similar as from the SSD. Now that's impressive! :shock: The SD card was quite old, a 256MB x80-speed Transcend. I wonder what gives with current x150 cards(?) Does anyone know if SDHC cards are supposed to be faster than SD? It is a bit confusing, even looking through the Wikipedia article...If I got it right, SD x150 would give access speed in excess of 20MB/sec, while SDHC Class6 only about 6MB/sec, and the 80x card I've used should go slightly higher than 10MB/sec, similar to a decent SLC-based flash USB stick? :roll:
=============================================
2. A question about WiFi...I got a Transcend USB stick combo (a combination of flash disk and WiFi dongle). I've given it a try on my desktop booting PupEee from CD and it seems to work. The power LED flashes, and from the Network Wizard I see a module already loaded as Wlan0 (prism module). Question is, could I use this on the Eee (will try to "cook" some Wok-Fi to get some range through signal directionality...) or will it conflict with the Atheros module (...and I will have to unload it). Any ideas on this one? Did anyone try anything similar?
==============================================
3. I have a SmartLink-based USB modem that I've successfully used with 2.17 w/o any effort (it is auto-detected @ boot). Unfortunately the same does not apply to 3.01 or PupEee and its not auto-detected anymore. Would like to fix that. Wvdial and Wvdialconf for 2.17 & PupEee are identical and I think the correct kernel module for the modem (slusb) is detected and loaded at boot-time. I gather that it must be a difference in the configuration boot scripts. Looking a bit deeper, 2.17 has a script in /etc, ./init.d/zzslmodem that is probably related to this...
Can anyone help?
Attachments
zzslmodem.bz2
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Help M$ become a Linux distro maintainer...
Force-feed them with Open-Source faster than they can produce patents

JohnRoberts

#275 Post by JohnRoberts »

...well about the smartlink modem, copying the file attached to /etc/init.d manually, solves the problem. In case of a remaster this has to be done manually
Help M$ become a Linux distro maintainer...
Force-feed them with Open-Source faster than they can produce patents

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#276 Post by Lobster »

1. Got my Eee (4G/Surf) and it can boot from an SD card in 48 seconds, apparently similar as from the SSD. Now that's impressive!
Is it? :? Xandros is booting faster than this. Where is the bottleneck? What have they optimised? :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

MU

#277 Post by MU »

Lobster wrote:
1. Got my Eee (4G/Surf) and it can boot from an SD card in 48 seconds, apparently similar as from the SSD. Now that's impressive!
Is it? :? Xandros is booting faster than this. Where is the bottleneck? What have they optimised? :oops:
Hi Lob,
I think there are 2 reasons.
The inbuilt drive will be very fast.
And the xandros might not have a hardware-detection.
Puppy is intended to run everywhere - old Pentium 1 as well as modern hot shot whatever hardware.
So it tries to detect different stuff, extracts kernel-drivers from zdrv.sfs and so on.

A system delivered with a notebook usually will not need this.
You know which graficscard it uses - so you supply just thiscard-driver.ko and load it.
No need to check for Ati, Vesa or so.

If Puppy would be stripped down the same way, it also could boot faster.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

magerlab

#278 Post by magerlab »

is it possible to add needed modules for wifi lan and wedcam to a nomal puppy?
where are they situated in Pupeee?

gary101

#279 Post by gary101 »

Hi magerlab

Yes it is possible to add/setup the hardware in a 'normal' puppy install. I am running 2.16 and have the hardware working.

I have a list of how I did this here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=60

Hope this helps.

Gary

magerlab

#280 Post by magerlab »

as for gxine - the problem is not in gxine
full screen crashes in jwm
try to use another wm ( icewm or else)