puppy unleashed questions

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nutts4life

puppy unleashed questions

#1 Post by nutts4life »

Ok,

I know i've taken some short cuts here, so maybe this is why this is not working.

I used to use puppy unleashed 301 with great success and no problems. I was running it using tmmxx's fat free puppy based on 3.01.

Due to random reasons i had to fall back to using puppy unleashed 2.17.

So i reinstalled fatfree 3.01 then put the unleashed tar in the root directory.
ran tar -xvf puppy-unleashed_2.17.tar. then copied my pets into the package directory.

Run ./explandtarballs from the puppy-unleashed dirctory and all my pets are expanded.

Happy days.....

So then i run createpuppy. It runs fine and moves lots of stuff into rootfs-complete. And runs pinstall.sh ok.
Not many lines though, just seamonkey stuff. Which i guess is a little weird.

But when it runs fixmenus. It says it cannot excecute the file.

So i go into the rootfs-complete dir and find fixmenus in /usr/sbin OK.

So i run:
chroot rootfs-complete /usr/sbin/fixmenus
from puppy-unleashed

and it says it can't fine it.

What have i done wrong?!!!!

N4l

tronkel

#2 Post by tronkel »

Yes, fun and games with Unleashed.

When you use Unleashed to build an ISO, you are prompted to choose a kernel version. You must be running the ./createpuppy script in a version of puppy that was built with the same kernel as the one you want to build. For example if you want to build a Puppy ISO that runs on kernel version 2.6.21.7, then you must be running the ./createpuppy script in a version of Puppy that is also running on 2.6.21.7
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

nutts4life

#3 Post by nutts4life »

Good work tronkel. thanks

I'll put the 217 version of puppy in there instead.

Can you think of any reason why i can't just use my save file with all my puppy unleashed sutff in it. I realise it is for a version 301 puppy but I have done almost zero configuration work on the current 3.01 version, so there should a very small amount of config files in my root dir.

I just don't want to have to move my save file which all it's puppy unleashed stuff in it.

n4l

big_bass

Re: puppy unleashed questions

#4 Post by big_bass »

nutts4life wrote:Ok,

I know i've taken some short cuts here, so maybe this is why this is not working.

I used to use puppy unleashed 301 with great success and no problems. I was running it using tmmxx's fat free puppy based on 3.01.

Due to random reasons i had to fall back to using puppy unleashed 2.17.

N4l
I didn't know that Mr.Lobster made a fat free too :D

1.)Decide what you want in the end first.
what version do you want with what kernel

2.) Since you are on a learning curve with unleashed (it's a lot to swallow and digest at one time for anyone who tried it )

just use the official puppy version when building with unleashed

98% is pre -planning 2% are the glitches in the process

example to build with 3.01 use the official puppy linux 3.01 live CD boot it puppy pfix =ram

navagate to a partition that only has unleashed on it keep a clean partition only for unleashed (you prepared all this before running the unleashed script)

3.) There are too many reasons as to why not mix pup sfs
a.) kernel
b.) packages
c.) scripts

keep it clean the first time around then .....the sky is the limit :wink:

good luck on you adventure and enjoy each step of the way

big_bass

fat free hosted by ttuuxxx.com and puppylinux.ca
Last edited by big_bass on Wed 26 Mar 2008, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

#5 Post by tronkel »

@nutts4life

When an Unleashed directory contains a packages directory that has packages in the form of folders that were converted from dotpets, the size will probably be more than 3.5GIG.

If you try to store that amount of data within a pup_save file, you'll probably get bother sooner or later. Some people even say that pup_save files that are larger than 1.2GIG are not feasible at all.

A more reliable system hardware configuration base for using Unleashed, would be to have the Unleashed folder stored on an external USB hard drive. 120GIG drives of this type are now quite cheap to buy.

I think you'll find that Unleashed behaves a whole lot better on such a system. Having the Unleashed folder sitting inside the pup-save is theoretically
possible, but only just.

Yes, using Unleashed requires a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it. Unleashed is the most useful power-feature of Puppy IMHO and the reason that I personally am so fond of it.

EDIT: The does seem to be some sort of issue with using fixmenus in Unleashed. I have had trouble with this myself just recently. It shows up when you try to install a window manager such as Icewin. There might be some bug wthiin the ./createpuppy script, or might be a compatibility issue concerning the way ./createpuppy handles installation of window managers vis a vis the petget way of doing things.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer