BIGDOG Linux

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
kcin

BIGDOG Linux

#1 Post by kcin »

It has occurred to me that a companion project to Puppy, that I might tentatively christen "BIG DOG" Linux, would quickly become a worldwide favorite as Puppy's "big brother" project.

(I emphasize companion project - no way I would ever want to see Puppy supplanted, even by a big bro)

Building upon Proven Puppy Principles, of course, but limited to - instead of 60 MB - ... say 600MB, ... or one full CD, it would be a medium to lightweight distro as opposed to a mini-distro. Using Puppy Principles, a one-CD version could conceivably -if not downright easily- be as useful or more so - than many current 3-to-5 cd distros.

It would utilize all the features of the current Puppy, plus a number of selected "Unleashed" Packages to round out the rest of the CD.

In addition, it would add multi-user account capability.

By adhering to PPP's, while answering criticisms of shortcomings inherent in a mini-distro, I believe this would result in a distro without peer in the Linux Universe.

...Just a thought...

Has anything like this occurred to anyone else?

Best Regards,

kcin

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How would that be different from Knoppix?

Ted Dog

speed

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

differences between knoppix and puppy.

one bloated and slow, one lean and fast
one able to save back on windows NSTF, one been known to chew a windows partition in the past.
one with all the bells, whistles and a sexy voice, one that can be run quietly.
one that puts a K infront of almost everything, one that wipes the others on the floor.
one at home at the autobahn (v4.0) other sits lovingly on your desktop, oh how peachy.
one can't grow and one that can.

kcin

#4 Post by kcin »

Ohhhh,

Geez, it never occurred to me that this idea was anything like Knoppix... at all... oop...

I thought Knoppix was KDE-based and Debian-derived.

Perhaps I should apologize if I was a bit too enthusiastic and excited by my own idea, and not really knowledgeable enough to realize that it may have sounded too much like an existing product.

I am rather new around here.... please forgive my naivete.

I guess if pressed for an answer to your question though, I'd have to say:

"Perhaps not all that different in terms of overall concept, just a whole lot better in terms of execution -- a lot more like Puppy."

I don't know really... maybe I'd just better stick to the Beginner's forum until I know more.

Best Regards,

kcin

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Stupid ideas are better than no ideas. Not that it was stupid :wink: . But not-so-great ideas can be beefed up to be better. That's how some of the best things have happened. Another reason good things happen is because someone just does something "because they can" and it turns out to be awesome.

Once again, we meet one of the most often stated statements on the forums: The beauty of remastering!

Yep, you heard right. You can breed your own Puppy, and feed it all the Gnasty Gnomes and KDEnormous things you want. Also, we sort of have this already, in the form of Chubby Puppy.

I for one have slightly different views on a few small things, so I make Pizzapup puplet both to include my ideas, to add a bugfix or two, and to learn more about how Puppy and Linux in general work. Other people make more significant changes, like the graphics puplet and John's 50-meg puplets.

Also, I don't think a 600 megabyte Puppy would be possible without including some pretty pointless stuff. I mean, look what Puppy can do with just 60! You can only add so much. Even if you added all kinds of fancy stuff, it would probably only reach 300. Then again, you could add 300 megs of drivers and have the most hardware compatible os in existance :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Hey, it was an honest question. No need to get sarcastic. :P

It just seemed to me that if you made Puppy so big it filled up a whole CD, it wouldn't be all that much different from Knoppix. With 600 MB you couldn't run everything from RAM like you can now. Even so, I'd still prefer Puppy because I like running in root all the time. Using knoppix is like driving a car that requires you to use a key to apply the brakes or turn on the radio, only it doesn't tell you where to find the key. Why bother dealing with that when Puppy is so accomodating and gets the job done with so little fuss?

Its size aside, Knoppix has some advantages over Puppy, at least for now. For one thing, its hardware recognition and configuration seems to be better.

I'm not an expert at anything by any definition, but I still like to shoot off my mouth. :lol: I just try to call 'em like I see 'em.

raffy

Short Answer

#7 Post by raffy »

Short answer: get Puppy Unleashed
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I can see the advantage of multi-user. If I wanted to share with my brother I wouldn't want him running as root, and I wouldn't want to make a whole new Puppy with admin features disabled just for him. It would be more efficient to have the users. But he doesn't have any desire to use Linux, and mostly only uses the computer for games, so I don't worry about it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Auda

#9 Post by Auda »

Multi user would have its uses I could let my kids play with puppy knowing that they cant kill it totally. I dont like running as root.
An other thing that could be on a full cd version is all the dotpups and all the files needed to install them so you dont need an internet connection.
Auda

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Auda,

you can add several pup001 to Grub, if you boot from Harddisk.

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux1.0.5- Papa
        rootnoverify (hd4,0)
        kernel vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup001MasterDog-none
        initrd image.gz

title Puppy Linux1.0.5- Kids
        rootnoverify (hd4,0)
        kernel vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup001LittlePuppys-none
        initrd image.gz
To avoid, they can access your pup001, use the login-Dotpup:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2578

But this is not "really" safe, as they could mount your pup001 :?

Greets, Mark