Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 07:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Puppy needs a font pack
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2008, 19:02    Post_subject:  Puppy needs a font pack  

Screen fonts have been discussed a lot in Puppy, but I think Puppy needs downloadable general purpose "paper" font packs. There are a lot of free (as in beer) fonts available, but it can be quite overwhelming finding them.

When I say general purpose, I mean a good selection of fonts for all sorts of different uses - kids' projects for school, birthday cards, posters, whatever.
e.g.
a couple of blackletter fonts
a couple of Celtic fonts
a couple of fancy cursive fonts
an informal handwriting font (like Comic Sans MS, but there are much better ones around)
a stencil font
a Western (as in cowboy) font
etc

Any volunteers?
Maybe I'll have to put one together when I find the time.

We would have to be careful with the licenses, e.g. there are a few open source fonts, some freeware fonts, and a lot of fonts that are free for personal, non-commercial use. Also some may not permit redistribution.

Maybe if people link to fonts they recommend it could be a good start. Note that I am not talking about a huge (hundreds) font pack, I am talking about maybe dozens, so we would want to include fonts that we think a reasonable proportion of people would actually use.
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2008, 19:45    Post_subject:  

Here are some gpl fonts I use on my system (license in included in zip file)

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/doku.php/programs:fonts

all fonts in page are:

- GPL licensed
- having a whole set (regular. italic, bold. bold italic)

next days I will add more and once I have completed I wil make also a bigger zip file with also single ttf fonts listed on page (all fonts in one zip file)

disciple

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2008, 00:19    Post_subject:  

It would be good to put screenshots or even a brief desciption when you have individual fonts for download, like on your page.
I don't think it would be necessary for a decent font "pack" though.
Dingo

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2008, 10:27    Post_subject:  

disciple wrote:
It would be good to put screenshots or even a brief desciption when you have individual fonts for download, like on your page.
I don't think it would be necessary for a decent font "pack" though.

Yes. I will Add a screenshot for all fonts in page (adf fontpack not need it. Zip file includes a pdf document with previews characters). Just give me some 'time Smile

disciple

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2008, 20:07    Post_subject:  

Cool. Thanks Cool
link to just the pdf for the adf font pack: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/arkandis/ADF/docs/ADF_Fontpack_Fast_V1-08.pdf

You are doing something different from what I'm suggesting, as those seem to all be relatively conventional serif and sans-serif fonts.
I think that more than needing a lot of subtle variation in conventional fonts, we need a font pack with very different fonts. In fact, a lot of people can be overwhelmed by having a lot of similar fonts, so if I put a pack together it would not include a lot of that sort of thing.
What you are doing is probably helpful as well, as long as you have thought about exactly what you are doing, and how it is useful Smile It seems you are making it easy to find open source fonts from different sources?
Dingo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 05:53    Post_subject:  

disciple wrote:
think that more than needing a lot of subtle variation in conventional fonts, we need a font pack with very different fonts.

Yeah. I have added another section miscellaneous

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/doku.php/programs:fonts#miscellaneous_fonts

that contains several fonts (GPL licensed), having not a full set (regular, bold, italic, bold italic), but many different styles. I will add and expand section more and more in next days
disciple wrote:
It seems you are making it easy to find open source fonts from different sources?

Yeah, I'm a GPL fonts addicted Cool and in past years I have spent lot of time to looking for GPL fonts, so, now I can collect together all fonts downloaded

I think that fonts for puppy must have GPL license not only free for personal use, so I try to looking for in my hard disk only free gpl, public domain fonts

disciple

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 20:48    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I think that fonts for puppy must have GPL license not only free for personal use,

Yes, obviously you wouldn't want to include "free for personal use" fonts in a pack with GPL fonts, but there are also "free for anything" fonts that aren't open source, and in spite of the open source purists, I think the freeware movement is a good thing too.
What you are doing though is very valuable, as when I was looking I couldn't find anywhere with sort of a centralised index of the different places you can find open source fonts.
Todd

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 22:46    Post_subject:  

The latest font to be released in association with Linux has been the Liberation fonts from Red Hat. "This license for the Liberation fonts adds several clauses to the base GPL." (Wikipedia.org) The fact that Red Hat felt the need to add said clauses brings into question the efficacy of using any GPL font without them. Personally, I am going to stick with the Bitstream Vera based fonts. They are proprietary, but with a very liberal license which allows the changing of the fonts as long as you don't call them Bitstream or Vera and you include their copyright.

It seems the problem with using GPL fonts is that they make your document GPL. Now, a question I have yet to have answered, is if use of a GPL word processor makes the document GPL.

Back to the main theme of this particular discussion. I have searched the internet. The main source of GPL fonts is Ghostscript. Most of those fonts have been included in Puppy. Fonts based on Bitstream Vera are not decorative (caligraphic, script, et cetera). The liberation fonts, in my humble opinion, are just plain ugly. The one bright light in fonts has been the Open Font License (http://scripts.sil.org/OFL). Debian, the Free Software Foundation and others seem to be backing their approach. Their repository of fonts can be found at http://scripts.sil.org/FontDownloads.

Sincerely,

Todd
rastapax

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 01:33    Post_subject: rastapax
Sub_title: font

I am working on a set of icons to improve the interface without increasing weight if puppy

Is my small contribution

respect to fon i think
the ideal

micrograma or eurostyle good font

www.12design.cl/puppy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=183096#183096
iconospuppy.png
 Description   
 Filesize   57.25 KB
 Viewed   2096 Time(s)

iconospuppy.png

disciple

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 01:44    Post_subject:  

OK, but I think you should post those icons in another thread, as they have nothing to do with fonts, so no one will know they are here.
disciple

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 02:03    Post_subject:  

Wow - that Matt dude is awesome!
I don't think much of his other fonts, but those tiny Macintosh bitmap fonts are fantastic! I always knew the bitmap was mightier than the TrueType, but wow! Who would have imagined a Gothic font looking that good that small?!!
I'm still not quite sure what it is useful for though Smile
disciple

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 02:42    Post_subject:  

OK, this page has a lot of good links (and not so good)
http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/

And I just discovered that you can view fonts by license type here:
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601#null
Todd

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 14:19    Post_subject:  

I have posted the package bitstream-vera.pet at http://www.toddrichardson.com/archive/. Once you install the Bitstream Vera package, the three fonts that are included become the default.

Todd
disciple

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 02:11    Post_subject: See all the Debian fonts  

I only just noticed that you can see all the fonts in Debian at http://fonts.debian.net/
We could have a huge fonts.sfs Smile

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 04:09    Post_subject:  

SFS would be good
I could not wait Embarassed

Downloaded the larger of the two zips
extracted and placed here
/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/

Fontified!

NB. On initial load you might have slowed some programs
that use fonts
Second load will be faster - I can live with 2 seconds for write on second load - however this may depend on memory and CPU speed - I have 1 Gig mem and a 64 bit Athlon 5000mz)
So there may be a price to pay on slower hardware. Be interested how others get on, SFS etc . . .
A lot of the fonts are non-english language (not sure - they display
as numbers in boxes - usually language scripts)

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum