My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
alienjeff

#361 Post by alienjeff »

When I launch my browser of choice, Firefox, the homepage I've set up is the NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center's "Astronomy Picture of the Day." As the name alludes to, there's a fresh picture every day. One can also access the archives. The site has some truly incredible images, thanks in large part to the Hubble Telescope and deep space probes.

Desktop background image jockeys with an interest in space should check it out: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Eyes-Only

#362 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi AJ,

Well how about that?! And yet another way you and I are alike I see? This is getting scary. LOL! I've been an "armchair astronomer" ever since the ripe ol' age of around 10 or so. ;) Do you visit Space.com as well? Be careful though if you do visit now: They've recently changed the site so that it's no longer "Gecko Friendly". :( They've added a comment section at the bottom of each article now and while the page will stop loading in Konqueror and Opera, in Gecko-based browsers they go into an endless "spin cycle" where the stop button refuses to work. Annoying as hell to sit and try to read and in your peripheral vision you see the throbber in its never-ending spin. -sigh-

But that's way off topic and totally beside the point. Someday you and I have to compare notes as you keep surprising me. ;)

Now is that website you gave the one that changes its pic each day? I collect web browsers like some people collect tropical fish and so I've set a few of them over to that page. So I hope it's the one you were speaking of that changes daily. ;)

Thanks for sharing AJ! My grandson and I will enjoy this ride!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

alienjeff

#363 Post by alienjeff »

Hi Eyes-Only!

Will the coincidences ever end? heh. This is scary. Just a shot in the dark: you wouldn't happen to be an amateur radio operator?

A group of we neighborhood kids saw and heard (!) an extremely low altitude meteor as it seared across the sky spitting sparks and flame back in the 1960s. Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyways), undergarments were nearly soiled. The experts said the meteor must have hit the Earth somewhere in New England, most probably Connecticut, but I don't recall any reports of it actually being found.

Back in the mid-80s, after burning the midnight oil on a team project, a coworker pointed out Orion as we walked to our cars. From that point on, I've had a casual interest in stars and space.

Hale-Bopp captivated me in 1997. Around the same time there was a tremendous meteor shower that a group of us got together on a rural hilltop at 3 A.M. to witness. It was breathtaking - a once in a lifetime event that I'll always cherish. Since then I've seen the northern lights only twice - and both times were brief and lights were thin - but emotionally invigorating nevertheless.

IIRC, Knoppix had a nice application called Kstars, or something like that. It seemed like a pretty powerful app, at least to me. Sad thing is that, as the leading letter implies, it needs KDE support.

Thanks for the heads up re: Space.com. I only visit there sporadically.

Oh yes: the website changes daily. By using it as my browser's home page, I get a "space surprise" when I fire up the browser the first time each day. I trust you and your grandson will now enjoy these daily "space surprises," too.

Be well,

-aj
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Th3_uN1Qu3

#364 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

Now this is getting interesting...

To get back on topic, i've tweaked at my desktop a bit, and now it looks like this:

Anyone know how to change the font of the freememapplet icon?
[b]Toshi Portege 4010[/b] | PIII Tualatin 933MHz | 512MB RAM | Cyberblade 16MB | 30GB | WiFi, IrDA | ~5 hrs runtime | WinMe :( |

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8125/userbar654682fy5.gif[/img]

prit1

#365 Post by prit1 »

How about my current setup? Dingo 7 + Wbar (no borders) + HotPup
Attachments
screen2.jpg
(56.81 KiB) Downloaded 1135 times

alienjeff

#366 Post by alienjeff »

prit1 wrote:How about my current setup?
Flip that background image left to right. Then the icons on the right side of the screen will be much more pronounced than they are now with the lighter background.

prit1

#367 Post by prit1 »

Thanks for that suggestion AJ. I will do this. Anyway I dont really need the lock and pupzip on the desktop. :) I can even get rid of them.

First I will go with the flip though.

Eyes-Only

#368 Post by Eyes-Only »

Awesome screenies you two! Just magnificent! Hope you both don't mind but I'm one of the "odd ducks" who happens to save the really spectacular shots to a special Puppy Directory of screenies. I just HAD to save those two!

@prit: I was just now reading on some of the tweaking you've done on wbar in the Software section. You may want to enlighten others in that thread as to the tweakings that you did in order to obtain the various results you got/were explaining, etc.? Just an idea for the edification of us all. ;)

@AJ: No ham radio but when a young'un I was into to CBs heavily which in Maine, hillbillies that we are, were our cheap substitute. ;) LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

iscraigh

#369 Post by iscraigh »

how do you w bar with no borders?

prit1

#370 Post by prit1 »

@Eyes-Only and Iscraigh.

I have added a post to the thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=181400

describing my wbar setup. I am glad you liked it. :)

jonyo

#371 Post by jonyo »

Whuuoooh..:shock: Hit one button (reload desktop) & ended up with this. Wonder what next.. :wink:
I was trying to resize the icons on the original desktop ..next thing I know ..they all disappeared.:roll:
Stumbled on the 'reload desktop' button & here we are.. :)
Have no clue what themes & things. :oops:
Did install EEzz whodo stuff.. :P

Myppy08 standard 3.01

WhoDo

#372 Post by WhoDo »

jonyo wrote:Whuuoooh..:shock: Hit one button (reload desktop) & ended up with this. Wonder what next.. :wink:
I was trying to resize the icons on the original desktop ..next thing I know ..they all disappeared.:roll:
Stumbled on the 'reload desktop' button & here we are.. :)
Have no clue what themes & things. :oops:
Did install EEzz whodo stuff.. :P

Myppy08 standard 3.01
Yep, that's EZpup-3.01 with the default background and icons. The WM theme is MU's default modified version of EZpup's VistaBlack-V (I think). You'll find PETget and trash icons behind the Icedock in the lower right, too. EZpup has that disabled by default, but MU likes it so I'm not surprised it's enabled in Muppy.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Eyes-Only

#373 Post by Eyes-Only »

That looks awesome Jonyo! I love that dockbar too, the one that Mark/MU enables by default---though I've never taken the time to enable it in my Puppy 3.0.1.

Yeah, I was working yesterday in my IceWM desktop as well adding the Hotpup .pet to it (nice dotpet and sooo useful for someone like me!) and I don't recall exactly what it was I did Jonyo---perhaps the same thing you did?---and that's the exact same thing which happened to me! :lol: I use "Sunset", a wallpaper I'd gotten off from WhoDo quite awhile ago that has an elephant on a nice sunset background, very stylish, so to see that green suddenly pop up in front of me yet still see part of "Sunset" behind Conky was a real hoot and a half! :lol:

Didn't take me long to get it fixed again though. I just had to fish "Sunset" out of my "background" directory and place it into "Config" in /root, rename it to "ROX-desktop.jpg", and change the name and location to it in the PuppyPin... Relatively easy. There are a bunch of different ways to fix it of course and I generally take the most-difficult one. :roll:

Still though Jonyo, that's one awesome desktop just the same!

Amicalement mon bon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

jpennin5

My puppy

#374 Post by jpennin5 »

jonyo

#375 Post by jonyo »

Nice! How do you get the icons on the bottom center like that (guess just move them..)?
Changed mine a bit.

jonyo

#376 Post by jonyo »

Eyes-Only wrote:That looks awesome Jonyo! I love that dockbar too, the one that Mark/MU enables by default---though I've never taken the time to enable it in my Puppy 3.01.
Just found the controls for it ..counted almost ~ 40 buttons for desktop options. :)

~ 4-5 are set by default ..from what I saw quick.
Last edited by jonyo on Fri 21 Mar 2008, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

jpennin5

Centered Icons

#377 Post by jpennin5 »

I guess I could have explained my screenshot to avoid confusion. I have the icons there with tablaunch, and they automatically show/hide with mouse over. Also, the taskbar is hidden at the top of the screen and has a very different menu than the standard puppy 3.01 (which is what i'm currently running)

iscraigh

#378 Post by iscraigh »

Dragon Puppy(XFCE), wbar, some icons and wallpaper[/img]
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(96.65 KiB) Downloaded 982 times

jonyo

#379 Post by jonyo »

yim

#380 Post by yim »