Minor probs Alpha7

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Stylish themes like Citrus are nice until you add desktop icons for other programs. Then it clashes.

smokey01

#42 Post by smokey01 »

I must admit I do like the Stardust theme too. It's sharp, easy on the eyes and looks professional.

As many have already said Puppy needs to be fully configured out of the box. In other words if I click on an attachment in the email client it should just work. I know this is easy to setup but many people are unable to deal with this and therefore discard puppy as an unfriendly system. Puppy is without a doubt (in my opinion) the best OS I have ever used when considering speed, size and functionality. I must admit though, Barry's graphical OS that fits on a FDD was pretty impressive.

Puppy is also very good at hardware detection. Why not make things like network configuration automagic? It may be more difficult that I imagine but it would certainly appeal to most new users of puppy. The wizard would need to stay for the odd time puppy got it wrong.

Another problem for many is the package manager. It doesn't seem to work, can't find the site. This is not an issue for me but it is for many I have introduced to puppy.

Although I have some favorite programs I always install, and I'm not suggesting they should be part of the standard package, they need to be easily available to install as a PET package. Two that come to mind are Skype (latest) and Picasa. Skype is one of the most popular VOIP programs about and needs to be available.

There are also many opinions about software for viewing and managing photos. In MY opinion picasa is hard to beat although quite large. I like the way picasa installs Wine. It always does it better than when I have done it as a stand alone package. I also like the idea of keeping puppy small and fast.

I would also like to see a utility than allows the removal of existing installed software. Currently if I install a new program I can usually uninstall it with package manager. I haven't found a way to simply remove the original programs, for example: I might want to use Firefox and Thunderbird. How do I get rid of Seamonkey without doing it manually? All too hard for most. In most cases you just leave it there and the save file become huge and eventually starts to slow down the system.

It has already been mentioned but video and scanning is a must. Too many people want it to leave out.

Maybe another idea is to have a software configuration wizard where on the first run you tick boxes to decide what programs you would like to include. There would obviously be default programs.

This would allow you to add or remove programs quite easily too.

Not all the software would need to be on the ISO, keeping it even smaller. As a box is ticked it could be downloaded then installed. In the past this was not an option but with ADSL not a problem.

I realise Squash File Systems already address this to some extent but this method would be simpler for many users. One needs to remember nearly everyone knows windows and anything similar will be welcomed. I'm not saying that is a good thing but it is a fact. It is easy to change people but small steps are required. I'm not advocating converting people from windows just suggesting we give them a choice, I better one I believe.

I have many other ideas but this will do for now.

Grant

floborg

#43 Post by floborg »

A consistent look throughout makes Puppy feel like something serious. The themeing in the recent 2.14 remaster has this quality.

The orange is fairly consistent, but there are some pieces that don't seem to fit in well. Some of the ROX icons are unchanged and don't match up well with the new icons. There's also some weird gray sprinkled about (like on the JWM config tool) that adds to that "slapped-together" feel.

nap44

#44 Post by nap44 »

Agree with Smokey01 comments which parallel mine to some extent.

In addition, why can't the drives be auto mounted on startup as default and an option in setup to turn this off if required. And auto internet connect.

Also would encourage members to have a look at the http://www.linpus.com/ linpus site and download ver 9.4. It's a bit big at ~400mb so dial up is out. Some components don't work as I believe it's a pay prog aimed at the Chinese market. But the interface is fantastic, it is quick and just begs to be used. Gets away from the desktop type arrangement and clearly and simply organises tasks. If only Puppy could head in this direction! :cry:

Cheers,
RC

WN2A

Citrus Theme

#45 Post by WN2A »

Barry,
Dingo's Citrus theme didn't bother me because I just changed it. But if it turns off a potential new Puppy user who would otherwise use it , then that would bother me.
It's what is under the hood that matters. I liked 3.01's theme just fine!
CWLab : Amateur Radio CW Program Moving to GNU/Linux!
[url]http://www.qsl.net/wn2a[/url]

flagman

Let's not loose sight of Puppy's prime directive.

#46 Post by flagman »

Barry,

Most all of these suggestions are good ones, but we must remain mindful of just what distinguishes Puppy from the rest of the pack. At less than 100MB, Puppy cannot offer ALL the plumbing included in your typical 680+MB distro. What it can, and in my opinion should, do is to offer the best, most efficient collection of solid and reliable applications available, in a package that's easy to use and just works.

I say, let's stay on track in helping you to fulfill Puppy's mission as the most amazing small distro on the planet. Out house sinks should not be thrown at Puppies. It's small yummy treats like those found on your menus that keeps Puppies and their owners healthy and happy.

Do what you're best at Barry, and let's let Puppy derivatives handle the heavy lifting.

The Major

Theme

#47 Post by The Major »

I vote for the Stardust theme which works well with any blue / grey background (my current favourite is the blue raindrops on). Also very pleased that Barry is thinking about HotPup as this makes Puppy even easier to use.

Ian

JustGreg

#48 Post by JustGreg »

My vote is for Stardust. But, then, I do like the color blue.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#49 Post by Flash »

Barry, as to your request in the developer blog, I have no problem with mtPaint as Puppy's default image viewer. I often have in mind to edit the image anyway. On the other hand I have to admit I haven't used any of the alternatives you mention in the blog. Maybe in a beta version of Puppy the default image viewer could be a simpler program than mtPaint, just to get people like me to try it.

nap44

#50 Post by nap44 »

Fotox is just that IMO. Simple and self explanatory. Maybe include both in the menus. Picture Viewer and Picture Editor. The viewer as the default enabling the user to find and edit if necessary and the editor for heavier work. Not everyone wants the power of mtpaint. Just a small modification to a pic and Fotox is perfect for that.

Cheers
RC

fwilt1

theme

#51 Post by fwilt1 »

i like the bold statement
dingo is different, it's nor windows, so stick with your first "dare to be different" colour scheme, just use an Australian landscape.
The schemes colours kinda fit our dusty dry country
jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Citrus Theme

#52 Post by Béèm »

FuturePerfect wrote:I vote fof the Citrus Theme as the default in Dingo. Like the bold statement it makes.
Me too.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jeffrey

#53 Post by jeffrey »

Sorry Barry, I'd vote against the gaudy yellow/orange theme as well. It's the first thing that I change for a more professional look in the office. I want to use Puppy where its a good fit at work, but that theme dosn't help with user perceptions.
Having said that, it's refreshing to see something different.
(Now could we go back to "conservative" again please?)

jeffrey

#54 Post by jeffrey »

Sorry Barry, I'd vote against the gaudy yellow/orange theme as well. It's the first thing that I change for a more professional look in the office. I want to use Puppy where its a good fit at work, but that theme dosn't help with user perceptions.
Having said that, it's refreshing to see something different.
Now could we go back to "conservative" again please?

jeffrey

#55 Post by jeffrey »

Sorry Barry, I vote against the gaudy yellow-orange theme as well. It is the first thing that I change for a more professional look in the office. I want to use Puppy where its a good fit at work, but that theme does not help with user perceptions.
Having said that, it is refreshing to see something different.
Now could we go back to a conservative theme again please?

jeffrey

#56 Post by jeffrey »

Sorry Barry, I vote against the gaudy yellow-orange theme as well. It is the first thing that I change for a more professional look in the office. I want to use Puppy where its a good fit at work, but that theme does not help with user perceptions.
Having said that, it is refreshing to see something different.
Now could we go back to a conservative theme again please.

Seems to be a posting problem at present...

jeffrey

#57 Post by jeffrey »

Sorry about all those posts - I kept getting debug messages and assumed that the posting had failed.

jeffrey

#58 Post by jeffrey »

The posting error messages is...

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error: 145 Table './murga-linux/phpbb_search_wordmatch' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

SQL Request: INSERT INTO phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 182541, word_id, 0 FROM phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('sorry', 'posts', 'kept', 'getting', 'debug', 'messages', 'assumed', 'posting', 'failed')

Line : 270
File : functions_search.php

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

Your point is well made, jeff! Can we have that one more time, please...

PS: I got the debug message, too, but using 'BACK' then 'REFRESH', I discovered, like you, that my message had indeed been entered.
Another task for John!

And now the 'edited' byline is being appended, even when there are no subsequent offerings.

Oh dear! John got to work early this morning, for which we are grateful, but now the index page isn't updating! Sorry, John.
Last edited by Sage on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 11:47, edited 3 times in total.

recycler

re minor problem with gzxine

#60 Post by recycler »

has happened to me a lot with puppy 3.01. At first I thought it was the machine I was using - usually a P4. But it has also happened on this compaq presario 2500 laptop and I have discovered the solution is to use puppy 2.17 which is fine. Would be interesting to know what changed though since if it wasn't for this problem I would be using 3.01 now. I'm looking forward to the next version of puppy (can't wait!) but would like to be able to play videos or have a mp3 playing without this problem. BTW the other solution I discovered was to switch desktops, open gxine, minimise it, switch back to first desktop, browse to the mp3 I wanted to play and then gxine would play ok. It is only when starting the display or resizing it that gxine hangs.
Many thanks for the wonderful program!