Pup214R v1.01 uploaded

News, happenings
tempestuous

Re: mrv8k wifi card and driver

#61 Post by tempestuous »

joe-roberts wrote:the log indicates that it failed to load a firmware file.
OK, that could be the problem. I provided "standard" firmware for the mrv8k driver, but maybe it's necessary to install the vendor-specifice firmware.

jrb and joe-roberts, please install this dotpet, and copy the Windows driver for your device somewhere convenient ... let's say /root/my-applications
The Windows driver may consist of several files, I think it's the .sys file we want.
Now run this command to extract the firmware from the Windows sys file -

Code: Select all

cd /root/my-applications
mrv8k_extract_fw <myWindowsdriver.sys>
Now shift the extracted firmware files from /root/my-applications into /lib/firmware, and reboot.
Look at the output of dmesg to see how the mrv8k module loaded, and report what it says if there are further problems.
Attachments
mrv8k-extract-fw.pet
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

tempestuous

#62 Post by tempestuous »

tony,
Yes, the orinoco driver in Pup214R was updated.
Please load the driver and configure your wifi connection using manual commands, following this procedure -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

This way you should be able to identify at what point the process fails, and you can report your results if you need further help.

As a start, you should do this to see how the orinoco driver loaded

dmesg
then do this to see if a network interface has been created

ifconfig -a

prit1

#63 Post by prit1 »

Thank you Dougal and others who came up with the HotPup daemon. I installed this on my Puppy 2.17.1 and worked very well.

I really love seeing this feature in our favorite Puppy :).

Thanks again.

tony

pup214R on Portege 4010

#64 Post by tony »

Hi tempestuous,

Thank you for coming back, I had already worked through the measures that you prescribed. but it led me to type in the cardmgr command.

I was then surprised to find that I had wireless. Had to think back to what I had done.

It seems that the card manager was not starting automatically at boot. Something that it did with teenpup.

Regards Tony.

Dougal

#65 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:In case you're interested in the syslinux modifications I mentioned above, I just uploaded them here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 777#172777
I remember you asked people to test this for you and wasn't sure if there's a point in it, but I guess we should probably add it. I'll implement it today.

One other thing about 2.14R that I took a while to realize: I like the GTK theme, but it's hard to tell at a glance if a check box is checked or unchecked.
Yes, that's a pretty annoying thing about that gtk-engine.
I've also got a package with the smooth engines and a bunch of themes -- I should post it in case people want to use them (I left it out by default since it's big and slow).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#66 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:I found another bug the other day that I was going to mention, but then I forgot what it was... I noticed it again today though, so here it is:

In the /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller script, it gives you the option to mount an iso to get the pup_xxx.sfs file. This uses a loop device. Since it wasn't specified which, it will generally grab /dev/loop2. That's a problem later, because the part that mounts pup_xxx.sfs (line 1417) is hardcoded to use /dev/loop2. This would also be a problem if the user had something else mounted (like an old pup_save.2fs file). Changing:

losetup-FULL /dev/loop2 $SRCPATH/pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs
mkdir $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
echo "mounting pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs on $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt"
mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop2 $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
to:

LODEV=`losetup-FULL -f`
losetup-FULL $LODEV $SRCPATH/pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs
mkdir $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
echo "mounting pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs on $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt"
mount -r -t squashfs $LODEV $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
would let it use any loop device while still explicitly using losetup to mount it.
Ok, fixed.
I must say don't understand why Barry used losetup in the first place, rather than just using "-o loop" when mounting...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#67 Post by Dougal »

jrb wrote:Hi Dougal,
Love hotpup and pfix=blacklist. I've just done full install to my harddrive (twice) and FYI it won't recognize usb flash drives in any way: hotpup, mut, pmount, or command line. I've tried 5 different drives of various types and sizes. Works fine from liveCD however. It's also the first puppy edition that's recognized my mrv8k wireless card.
That was discussed either earlier in this thread or on another one -- I've also posted a updated rc.sysinit that fixes it (you can also just add "modprobe use-storage" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

jrb

#68 Post by jrb »

Thanks Dougal,
Found the new rc.sysinit in

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

installed it and rebooted. Problem solved. 2.14R-1.01 will now become my puppy of choice.

Dougal

#69 Post by Dougal »

Ok folks, I need some feedback on something:
I've been updating a bit the keyboard shortcuts in JWM, to make it easier to work without a mouse (think laptop with only touchpad).
I don't have much experience using other system, so didn't know what the standard shortcuts were (just found some from google).

Here are the current shortcuts I've set:
"Windows" keys (Super_L and Super_R): open application menu
Alt-F1: open application menu
Alt-F2: open Xrun
(Alt-F3 not used, since JWM doesn't support window list)
Alt-F4: close window

Alt-#: move to desktop #
Alt-Tab: move to next window in task list
Alt-space: open window menu for current window (like right-click on title-bar)

Alt-F6: minimize window
Alt-F7: shade/unshade window
Alt-F8: move window
Alt-F9: resize window
Alt-F10: maximize window

Print-screen: take screenshot
Ctrl-Alt-T: open terminal
Ctrl-Home: open file manager (at home)(note that this uses defaultfilemanager, if you don't like Rox)
The F6-F10 keys are rather arbitrary... Barry had F6 and F10 that way, so I just filled out the others.

Any suggestions welcome, but remember that these are window manager shortcuts, which will override the equivalents in applications -- so always make sure the same combination isn't used by some app (I look in things like Geany, where there are a lot of them).

Should we have some more for applications, such as the default-browser?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

disciple

#70 Post by disciple »

I say we all post our key bindings to inspire each other. Someone inspired me once :)
Mine look like:

<!-- Key bindings -->
	<Key key="Up">up</Key>
	<Key key="Down">down</Key>
	<Key key="Right">right</Key>
	<Key key="Left">left</Key>
	<Key key="h">left</Key>
	<Key key="j">down</Key>
	<Key key="k">up</Key>
	<Key key="l">right</Key>
	<Key key="Return">select</Key>
	<Key key="Escape">escape</Key>
	<Key key="F13">root:3</Key>
	<Key key="F14">root:3</Key>

<Key mask="A" key="Tab">next</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="space">close</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F4">close</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="#">desktop#</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F1">root:3</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F2">window</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F3">move</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F7">move</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F13">desktop</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="F14">desktop</Key>
	<Key mask="A" key="Menu">minimize</Key>
	<Key mask="C" key="Menu">minimize</Key>
	<Key mask="C" key="Escape">root:3</Key>
	<Key mask="CA" key="Delete">exec:rxvt -e htop</Key>
	<Key mask="CA" key="w">restart</Key>
F13 is my left windows key, F14 my right windows key. I find the alt+windows key binding by far the most useful as I have two virtual desktops and I often have one hand on the mouse and the other sitting in that area of the keyboard spending most of it's time operating shift and control keys, so this lets me switch desktops at high speed.

nestul

#71 Post by nestul »

I can't get my ESS1869 sound card working in Puppy214R (PII Compaq Armada 1700 laptop 288MB RAM).

After completing ALSA wizard selecting snd-es18xx isa card, I continue having no sound, and after rebooting, puppy214r hangs throwing quite text through the screen. If I boot now using pfix=ram and delete the lines created by ALSA Wizard in modprobe.conf

# --- ALSACONF version xxxx  --- 
alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx 
alias sound-slot-0 snd-es18xx 
option snd-es18xx isapnp=0 irqX 
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --- 
then puppy can boot again normally but no sound. The differences between the original modprobe.conf and the one after ALSA wizard are this lines added and 4 or five lines deleted near the line

options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5
writing by heart, can't remember exactly

Well, if after booting I write the command:

modprobe snd-es18xx isapnp=0 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5 port=0x220 mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
the module loads successfully (parameters taken from BIOS). Adding this same parameters to the alsa config in modprobe.conf doesn't resolve the problem.

This leads me into thinking there is something wrong in the scripts at /etc/rc.d

Please help me to solve this. I can provide the information you ask me, but tell me how to get it, because I am not a linux expert.

THANKS puppy linux users and developers :lol:

Dougal

#72 Post by Dougal »

nestul wrote:After completing ALSA wizard selecting snd-es18xx isa card, I continue having no sound, and after rebooting, puppy214r hangs throwing quite text through the screen.
If you boot with pfix=debug and tell me what text appears just before it hangs, I might have some idea where it happens.
However, as the alsawizard warns, ISA modules are problematic, so it might be something specific to your machine.

Well, if after booting I write the command:

modprobe snd-es18xx isapnp=0 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5 port=0x220 mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
the module loads successfully (parameters taken from BIOS). Adding this same parameters to the alsa config in modprobe.conf doesn't resolve the problem.

This leads me into thinking there is something wrong in the scripts at /etc/rc.d
It might be something about the order in which the modules are loaded -- try adding those params to modules.conf and then boot with pfix=debug and tell me what kind of messages you see before is stalls.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

jrb

#73 Post by jrb »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've just noticed that /etc/puppyversion lists the version as 217. This makes remasters difficult if not impossible. Simple to change to 214 and remaster works fine.

Dougal

#74 Post by Dougal »

jrb wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've just noticed that /etc/puppyversion lists the version as 217. This makes remasters difficult if not impossible. Simple to change to 214 and remaster works fine.
You mean in 2.14r?? That must be something Pakt did... I'll fix it.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

jrb

#75 Post by jrb »

Yes, 214R1.01. I was making an opera remaster when I noticed. I searched through the remaster script and found the reference to /etc/puppyversion. I had spotted this a few weeks ago but didn't notice the above reference and manually changed everything to "214" in the remaster script. This change got overwritten so I was about to do it again when I spotted the problem.

richard.a

#76 Post by richard.a »

Thanks for the revamped product. Hoping it will work well with older hardware, since I discovered your useful comment in the boot-up screen about irqpoll which is likely to be a "godsend".

Problem 1
Basic product, downloaded, burned, run live, I am unable to find where one can edit the menu, as neither the JWM nor the XDG menu script files effect any change.

Problem 2
Installing the EZ-Pup dotpet truncates the menu system to just the bottom two entries. It would be handy to be able to fix that :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Dougal

#77 Post by Dougal »

richard.a wrote:Problem 1
Basic product, downloaded, burned, run live, I am unable to find where one can edit the menu, as neither the JWM nor the XDG menu script files effect any change.
You just need to edit the template in /etc/xdg/templates (or the menus in /etc/xdg/menus), then refresh the menu -- I don't see what there is that can fail there...
Problem 2
Installing the EZ-Pup dotpet truncates the menu system to just the bottom two entries. It would be handy to be able to fix that :)
That's an EZ-pup problem -- I don't know what it does to your filesystem.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

richard.a

#78 Post by richard.a »

I appreciate your prompt response, Dougal :)
Dougal wrote:
richard.a wrote:Problem 1
You just need to edit the template in /etc/xdg/templates (or the menus in /etc/xdg/menus), then refresh the menu -- I don't see what there is that can fail there...
I'll go back in the next few days and have another look. I promised ecomoney I'd try and incorporate the menu I developed for 2.10proR2 (in JWM) into Phoenix for him, so will let you know if I have any further problems.
Dougal wrote:
richard.a wrote:Problem 2
Actually on regular 2.14, 2.15ce 2.16 and 2.17 (I think) it works brilliantly. I couldn't see anything obvious in the menu syntax, but was probably looking in the wrong place.

However ttuuxxx has developed a lightweight version of icewm he's asked me to try out for Phoenix (which is based on 2.14r1.1 I understand), so maybe that will work nicely :)

Not sure I understand the need to use more than one menuing system/window manager, but there we go :) I guess the ice-wm themes go a long way towards its popularity.

Thanks again,
Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

ttuuxxx

#79 Post by ttuuxxx »

The default theme is easily changed and you add as many themes as you wish also to, very simply. :)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Dougal

#80 Post by Dougal »

richard.a wrote:
Dougal wrote:
richard.a wrote:Problem 2
Actually on regular 2.14, 2.15ce 2.16 and 2.17 (I think) it works brilliantly. I couldn't see anything obvious in the menu syntax, but was probably looking in the wrong place.
I have re-worked the way the menus are generated, so my templates are incompatible with Barry's (but easier to edit: they're just shell scripts).
EZ-pup might also be putting some files in wrong places. For example: Barry uses the archaic /root/Choices for rox settings, while I use the standard $HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes