Tight VNC Server/Viewer (Now with GUI!)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Jinxes

#41 Post by Jinxes »

Oops, I didn't log in ><

Anywho, another thing to note, viewing the second display means that we're not actually looking at the display that has the problem, hence the reason they've called. :(

Jinxes

#42 Post by Jinxes »

I found this:

http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/doc.html

It seems to be replacement code for TightVNC Viewer to be able to share the 0 display. However through the manual/automatic install, i can't get it to run. Any thoughts?

rarsa

#43 Post by rarsa »

There is one thing I can think of: Puppy does not use XFree86 out of the box. It uses XVesa.

Have you tried installing the X server provided by MU?

ssorrrell

Error getting TightVNC Server

#44 Post by ssorrrell »

I'm getting this error from dotput when I try to install the tightvnc server package.

File Integrity ERROR: TightVNC.Server.1.2.9.pup

Suggestion: Download the Pup file again

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#45 Post by GuestToo »

i just downloaded it, checked the md5sum, and it seems to be ok

your file is probably corrupted ... it probably did not download properly, which is why the suggestion, Download the Pup file again ... (you may have to clear your cache)

if the md5sum system was not built into the dotpup, you would have installed corrupted files, and they would not work properly, and we would all be wondering why

if you have not got enough space in /root to unzip the dotpup file, you will also get this error (it will try to unzip the files, but if there is not enough space, some of the files will not unzip completely and there will be an md5sum error)

rarsa

#46 Post by rarsa »

ssorrrell:

The link from the DotPup Manager is broken. Please download it from the first page in this thread.

Here is a shortcut: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

GuestToo,

Could you please update the link in the Wikki page?

When I update a package I change the version but the wikki keeps pointing to the old file.

MU's DotPup package installer, is based on the wikki, so users get that error when trying to download.

I'm guessing this will always happen whenever people update their packages.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#47 Post by GuestToo »

i fixed the link
it's probably not the only broken link

if you Upload New Version it usually doesn't change the address of the file
Last edited by GuestToo on Sat 15 Oct 2005, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#48 Post by rarsa »

I rename the pup file with each version to keep track.

Jinxes

#49 Post by Jinxes »

rarsa wrote:There is one thing I can think of: Puppy does not use XFree86 out of the box. It uses XVesa.

Have you tried installing the X server provided by MU?
I'm sorry but you lost me there, I got that the X servers are not compatible out of the box, however what X server is provided by MU?

I've never heard of MU so any help would be awesome.

rarsa

#50 Post by rarsa »

Search the forum for Xserver. MU (Forum name) provided a DotPup.

Beware that you will need to configure it for your card/monitor/mouse.

Jinxes

#51 Post by Jinxes »

rarsa wrote:Search the forum for Xserver. MU (Forum name) provided a DotPup.

Beware that you will need to configure it for your card/monitor/mouse.
Oh.. that makes a lot more sense...

I grabbed that down however I can't find the configuration file for it to edit.

It's not called XF86Config or something like that, and it isn't anywhere I thought to look.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#52 Post by GuestToo »

the config file should be called xorg.conf and should be in /etc/X11

i tried an early version of his package ... xorg.conf was missing, but i think that should have been fixed

rarsa

#53 Post by rarsa »

Jinxes,

I'd suggest that you start a new thread for configuring your xserver and even another one related to using xfvnc. You will get more people responding and interested, so, more chances to get the right help.

sb

vncserver - serving primary desktop

#54 Post by sb »

Have just installed puppy and vncserver (dotpup is very friendly) - works fine for second desktop. :)

Need it to serve primary desktop - just to confirm from this thread that it is not possible to do this easily from vncserver eg with command line switch.

New to Linux/Puppy - talk of different x and configuration etc is beyond current expertise and/or time to acquire it. :cry:

Are there any other simple solutions - is krfb available as dotpup?
TIA

rarsa

#55 Post by rarsa »

To the best my knowledge, noone has compiled krfb for puppy. Im sure krfb has all the KDE dependencies.

sb

krfb

#56 Post by sb »

Thanks for prompt reply.

"Im sure krfb has all the KDE dependencies."

- does this mean there is a simple download of krfb somewhere that I just run (like the vncserver) - or do I have to compile it ? (sorry - showing my Windows background - puppy/dotpup has been simple so far - trying to avoid some of the more complex aspects of Linux - to accomplish simple task on some older kit beyond unnecessary demands and licenses of Windows)

TIA

[/quote]

rarsa

#57 Post by rarsa »

I meant that if krfb has all those dependencies it will be quite difficul to install in puppy as puppy does not include anything kde

sb

vnc remote control of primary desktop

#58 Post by sb »

Ok - thanks for the help. The mist is beginning to clear.

Not sure where I will go next however.

Basically need a small distro Linux with GUI desktop that can run browser, media player and open office impress - on primary desktop that can be remotely controlled using vnc.

... and that is easy to set up (like [chubby] puppy).

Is this feasible?
Any suggestions of sourcing such a package?
TIA for any further suggestions.

rarsa

#59 Post by rarsa »

Why do you need to do it on the primary desktop?

Did you know that you can do that same thing on the secondary desktop?

You can work on the secondary desktop on the VNC server by connecting the vncclient to localhost:1 for example and the remote computer to the <ipaddress>:1.

If you use the option to share the desktop (I don't remember the option and I don't have linux here right now) you can do exactly what you want.

As an alternative, you can try the KDE package that bombayrockers and MU are preparing. It comes with krfb. I've already tried that.

Its's still experimental and from my point of view is like killing a fly with a shotgun. The important thing is that if you really need it, it's available.

sb

#60 Post by sb »

Thanks - had already thought of viewing desktop2 from primary using viewer on the server (if that makes sense). Wondered about performance as the kit is getting on a bit.

--- later ---

Have now tried it - it is better than expected though may push hardware a bit. Not tried sound yet - not sure that comes across VNC. Ok for unspecific backing sound that can be played on primary while viewing secondary. Anything synchronised may be a problem.

I'll experiment some more - many thanks for your help and suggestions. :)