Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 09:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 9 [135 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 17:10    Post subject:  

Citrus is evil Smile
The main problem with mtPaint as a viewer is just that it opens at 100% zoom or something, so it is fairly useless for looking at even moderately sized photos from a digital camera or anything.
DreamsToGo

Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 17:29    Post subject:  

Hello Barry,

I'm an avid NFS user! I have set up Puppy 2.14 (TeenPUP) as an NFS client on my Linux only network, attaching to a Linux server running Ubuntu latest version 7.10. It works great and by moding the rc.local file I can get the NFS share to load at boot time automatcally. I need to use the mountFULL command.

I tried Puppy 3.01 but I can't seem to get NFS to work, it seems NFS support isn't available in 3.01. Am I right?

Will NFS support be in Dingo?

I really hope so as NFS is so much faster than samba for streaming media. I use it to listen to my music collection while cooking in the kitchen or doing the ironing in the basement. I have clients in both places. If I use samba the stream gets really choppy which makes listening to music a real pain.

Needless to say, the PCs I use here are really old P3s with 256ram.

Hilary
Jesse

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 19:56    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,

I think Citrus in Dingo is just peachy, but that it probably shouldn't be the default theme.
Colours and Icons are always personal choice things, and any Linux user will know they can choose a new theme, window widgets, window colours etc... but for the windows converts that are experiencing Linux for the first time, wow, what an eye opener to a different world!

How about a nice plain teal background, and icons from Windows 95 (as an option)? Very Happy
Or perhaps the first window on first-time boot to open up and ask if they would like a "windows feel" type of theme.

Jesse
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 21:14    Post subject:  

I think the standard/original/whatever they are called icon/gtk/JWM themes are best as they offend the fewest people. I don't think there is really a need for more Windows-like themes. But what would make Puppy really easy on the eyes is switching everything to use Helvetica Smile I do it on my machine, but for some reason seamonkey just won't obey... in spite of the special line in gtkrc that makes FF and TB obey.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 22:46    Post subject: Re: Dingo alpha7 with dual CPU  

fzsolt wrote:
Hi,
I've tried Dingo alpha7 on a machine with an Abit BP6 board equipped with two Celeron 533 MHz CPUs and 512 MB of RAM. Booted without a problem (the previous version hang during booting), and runs smoothly. However, cpuinfo reported only one processor. Is it a bug?
Earlier, when I tried an earlier Dingo (sorry, I forgot which version), it reported two CPUs in that machine.

Yes, alpha7 has the same kernel 2.6.21.7 as Puppy3.0x, compiled without SMP support.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 22:53    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
I think the standard/original/whatever they are called icon/gtk/JWM themes are best as they offend the fewest people. I don't think there is really a need for more Windows-like themes. But what would make Puppy really easy on the eyes is switching everything to use Helvetica Smile I do it on my machine, but for some reason seamonkey just won't obey... in spite of the special line in gtkrc that makes FF and TB obey.

SeaMonkey/Firefox do not follow the default GTK fonts properly. You need to set them separately in ~/.mozilla/*/chrome/*.css

disciple

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 22:55    Post subject:  

You just need this in gtkrc for FF and TB:

#gtk-font-name="Helvetica 10"
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 03:20    Post subject:  

Barry writes:
Quote:
"The fix is simple. Line 1138 in 'puppyinstaller' needs to have 'idehd' and 'satahd' options added to it, as shown:

scsihd|atahd|idehd|satahd) #internal media, boot with boot-disk or grub. #v3.98 "

- actually the |idehd was already present, just the |satahd missing. But I'm not using any SATA drives?? Another new nomenclature C.U.?

Now you have me confused - I'm just a simple user! I can edit the file - no problem. I can press 'Save' , but where is it 'saved' ? Obviously not to CD, so is it saved to the memory-resident system in use? or must it be saved back to a second CD? Assuming the former, running the Installer still doesn't work.
So must I prepare a new CD? Normally I rely on your full version releases. That's the problem when developers tangle with the great unwashed - we don't necessarily have sufficient knowledge to interpret your intentions. Not unwilling to assist but don't have the equipment upstairs.
zygo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 07:01    Post subject:  

Thanks Barry the pupdial fix for wvdial works fine. Very Happy

xnetload is 15kB would you please include it. It shows how long I've been connected and how wastefull I've been of that connection Shocked .
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 19:01    Post subject:  

Xine still crashes.
Chmsee open dialogue still freezes (but who really cares)
I still need to run the alsa setup wizard after every boot (but I don't need to kill the tray volume applet, as HW sent me an improved one Smile )
Upgrade from Dingo 6 seems to work fine.
It would be nice to have the browser command set in Sypheed.
I can't read asapm with that blackish background Smile but I suspect there is no point in it on a desktop pc anyway.
The trashcan sounds are not working (for me anyway), and it is not changing to an empty icon when you delete or restore the last trashed item. But I am in the middle of working on the trashcan again anyway (I discovered someone over at ROX had continued developing it, so I'm going to backport their features and merge with the changes I made), so you might not want to bother looking at this at the moment. I hope I'll find the time to finish off what I'm doing some time next week.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 20:32    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Barry writes:
Quote:
"The fix is simple. Line 1138 in 'puppyinstaller' needs to have 'idehd' and 'satahd' options added to it, as shown:

scsihd|atahd|idehd|satahd) #internal media, boot with boot-disk or grub. #v3.98 "

- actually the |idehd was already present, just the |satahd missing. But I'm not using any SATA drives?? Another new nomenclature C.U.?

Now you have me confused - I'm just a simple user! I can edit the file - no problem. I can press 'Save' , but where is it 'saved' ? Obviously not to CD, so is it saved to the memory-resident system in use? or must it be saved back to a second CD? Assuming the former, running the Installer still doesn't work.
So must I prepare a new CD? Normally I rely on your full version releases. That's the problem when developers tangle with the great unwashed - we don't necessarily have sufficient knowledge to interpret your intentions. Not unwilling to assist but don't have the equipment upstairs.

Hmmm, 'idehd' is not there beforehand! I don't know how you have done it, but somehow you must have an older 'puppyinstaller' script.

At the beginning of 'puppyinstaller' are these comments:
#v3.94 BK dec 2007: no longer any hd* drives.
#v3.95 BK jan 2008: handle Classmate laptop.
#v3.96 BK jan 2008: improvements for full hd install, warning about drive nums.
#v3.97 BK jan 2008: jump to puppyinstaller_old for kernels supporting hd*. --REMOVED.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: fully support /dev/hd* notation for ide drives.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: fix mbr recognition error in flash pen drive.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: new ComboFormat installation for Flash drives.

If you don't have the comments for v3.97 then you are not using the 'puppyinstaller' that came with alpha7.

Are you actually running alpha7?
Did you mess around with the 'puppyinstaller' script before updating your pup_save file to alpha7? -- Puppy ensures that the last-modified file is "on top"

There is a lot of complication being created here, including in your questions, when actually the situation is very simple.

1. Boot alhpa7 CD, use 'puppy pfix=ram' to avoid any pup_save file.
2. Open /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller in a text editor.
3. Make the change on line 1138, then select File -> Save.
4.Run puppyinstaller: menu Setup -> Puppy universal installer.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 20:42    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
Xine still crashes.

I still need to run the alsa setup wizard after every boot (but I don't need to kill the tray volume applet, as HW sent me an improved one Smile )

I can't read asapm with that blackish background Smile but I suspect there is no point in it on a desktop pc anyway.

You mean Gxine, which is in alpha7. Gxine works for me. Are you running Xvesa? Can you tell me what operations specifically cause the crash?

What improved volume applet is that?

Kirk's battery applet should only display in the tray if you are running on a laptop.
I've got it running right now, and I can see the green images and text fairly clearly on the black background.

HairyWill

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 22:54    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
What improved volume applet is that?
still working on it. I have a couple of things I want to tweak then I send it to you. The crucial aspect from disciple's perspective is that it is no longer hanging on to the mixer unless you click on it.
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 23:02    Post subject:  

/root/ghttpd doesn't contain a binary. Ghttpd has some problems anyway.

I you have the space for it, I've attached GuestToo's Monkey web server Rox app. I replaced the binary with the latest version of Monkey web server (0.92) compiled in Dingo Alpha7.
Monkey-0.9.2.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  Monkey-0.9.2.tar.gz 
Filesize  61.74 KB 
Downloaded  311 Time(s) 
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar 2008, 06:11    Post subject:  

Barry, I'll spare you the re-quotes. You are, of course, correct, I should have reported that line 1138 reads <scsihd|atahd) ....... Apologies.

Apart from that, your recipe is exactly what I did. So I changed the HD, cleared it with a debug script, re-partitioned and formatted it and this time Dingo-a7 seems to have installed OK. I suspect that the previous failed attempt , before you provided the fix, had left some bad install fragments on the previous disc?

I hadn't understood that edited files take effect immediately when working in pfix=ram without needing to run them. They do. I had also saved a copy of the edited file on another partition as well as the .sfs file, creating the proverbial dog's dinner.

Just one new problem with GRUB, now! It appeared to install OK at first ask. However, I got

"Boot failure from previous device..
Searching for Boot Record from SCSI..Not Found

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready "

I tried to reinstall GRUB from another liveCD boot up with pfix=ram. It seemed to go OK (into MBR), but I got the same fault message.
I reset MBR with a DOS boot and the fdisk/mbr command and reinstalled GRUB again from a pfix=ram boot up. No GO - I got a FDD search and the same message back???
I used a 3.01 liveCD to reinstall GRUB again with the same result.
I'll wipe the HD again, try some more HDs, cludges and any suggestions offered.

Many thanks.

Update: Success at last. I double cleaned another HD. I got the 'floppy needed' bug with GParted, of course, but created a single ext2 partition, edited puppyinstaller and b-i-n-g-o! I've noticed before that multiple partitions can cause installation issues, even when they appear to be empty (including of 'hidden' files). So it's a good idea to do any repartitioning AFTER installation.

Any road up, thanks for your perseverance with me, Barry!

More good news. Xine starts up and actually plays wwoz jazz direct from the Quarter straight from a web URL
Page 6 of 9 [135 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: