Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 03:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!
Page 25 of 159 [2375 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 157, 158, 159 Next
alienjeff

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2008, 15:13    Post subject:  

When I launch my browser of choice, Firefox, the homepage I've set up is the NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center's "Astronomy Picture of the Day." As the name alludes to, there's a fresh picture every day. One can also access the archives. The site has some truly incredible images, thanks in large part to the Hubble Telescope and deep space probes.

Desktop background image jockeys with an interest in space should check it out: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2008, 18:05    Post subject:  

Hi AJ,

Well how about that?! And yet another way you and I are alike I see? This is getting scary. LOL! I've been an "armchair astronomer" ever since the ripe ol' age of around 10 or so. Wink Do you visit Space.com as well? Be careful though if you do visit now: They've recently changed the site so that it's no longer "Gecko Friendly". Sad They've added a comment section at the bottom of each article now and while the page will stop loading in Konqueror and Opera, in Gecko-based browsers they go into an endless "spin cycle" where the stop button refuses to work. Annoying as hell to sit and try to read and in your peripheral vision you see the throbber in its never-ending spin. -sigh-

But that's way off topic and totally beside the point. Someday you and I have to compare notes as you keep surprising me. Wink

Now is that website you gave the one that changes its pic each day? I collect web browsers like some people collect tropical fish and so I've set a few of them over to that page. So I hope it's the one you were speaking of that changes daily. Wink

Thanks for sharing AJ! My grandson and I will enjoy this ride!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

alienjeff

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 13:49    Post subject:  

Hi Eyes-Only!

Will the coincidences ever end? heh. This is scary. Just a shot in the dark: you wouldn't happen to be an amateur radio operator?

A group of we neighborhood kids saw and heard (!) an extremely low altitude meteor as it seared across the sky spitting sparks and flame back in the 1960s. Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyways), undergarments were nearly soiled. The experts said the meteor must have hit the Earth somewhere in New England, most probably Connecticut, but I don't recall any reports of it actually being found.

Back in the mid-80s, after burning the midnight oil on a team project, a coworker pointed out Orion as we walked to our cars. From that point on, I've had a casual interest in stars and space.

Hale-Bopp captivated me in 1997. Around the same time there was a tremendous meteor shower that a group of us got together on a rural hilltop at 3 A.M. to witness. It was breathtaking - a once in a lifetime event that I'll always cherish. Since then I've seen the northern lights only twice - and both times were brief and lights were thin - but emotionally invigorating nevertheless.

IIRC, Knoppix had a nice application called Kstars, or something like that. It seemed like a pretty powerful app, at least to me. Sad thing is that, as the leading letter implies, it needs KDE support.

Thanks for the heads up re: Space.com. I only visit there sporadically.

Oh yes: the website changes daily. By using it as my browser's home page, I get a "space surprise" when I fire up the browser the first time each day. I trust you and your grandson will now enjoy these daily "space surprises," too.

Be well,

-aj

Th3_uN1Qu3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 18:26    Post subject:  

Now this is getting interesting...

To get back on topic, i've tweaked at my desktop a bit, and now it looks like this:

Anyone know how to change the font of the freememapplet icon?

prit1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 00:52    Post subject:  

How about my current setup? Dingo 7 + Wbar (no borders) + HotPup
screen2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   56.81 KB
 Viewed   1062 Time(s)

screen2.jpg

alienjeff

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 13:45    Post subject:  

prit1 wrote:
How about my current setup?

Flip that background image left to right. Then the icons on the right side of the screen will be much more pronounced than they are now with the lighter background.

prit1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 14:06    Post subject:  

Thanks for that suggestion AJ. I will do this. Anyway I dont really need the lock and pupzip on the desktop. Smile I can even get rid of them.

First I will go with the flip though.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 21:59    Post subject:  

Awesome screenies you two! Just magnificent! Hope you both don't mind but I'm one of the "odd ducks" who happens to save the really spectacular shots to a special Puppy Directory of screenies. I just HAD to save those two!

@prit: I was just now reading on some of the tweaking you've done on wbar in the Software section. You may want to enlighten others in that thread as to the tweakings that you did in order to obtain the various results you got/were explaining, etc.? Just an idea for the edification of us all. Wink

@AJ: No ham radio but when a young'un I was into to CBs heavily which in Maine, hillbillies that we are, were our cheap substitute. Wink LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

iscraigh

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 23:37    Post subject:  

how do you w bar with no borders?
prit1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 11:14    Post subject:  

@Eyes-Only and Iscraigh.

I have added a post to the thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=181400

describing my wbar setup. I am glad you liked it. Smile
jonyo

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 20:15    Post subject:  

Whuuoooh..Shocked Hit one button (reload desktop) & ended up with this. Wonder what next.. Wink
I was trying to resize the icons on the original desktop ..next thing I know ..they all disappeared.Rolling Eyes
Stumbled on the 'reload desktop' button & here we are.. Smile
Have no clue what themes & things. Embarassed
Did install EEzz whodo stuff.. Razz

Myppy08 standard 3.01
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 23:05    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
Whuuoooh..Shocked Hit one button (reload desktop) & ended up with this. Wonder what next.. Wink
I was trying to resize the icons on the original desktop ..next thing I know ..they all disappeared.Rolling Eyes
Stumbled on the 'reload desktop' button & here we are.. Smile
Have no clue what themes & things. Embarassed
Did install EEzz whodo stuff.. Razz

Myppy08 standard 3.01

Yep, that's EZpup-3.01 with the default background and icons. The WM theme is MU's default modified version of EZpup's VistaBlack-V (I think). You'll find PETget and trash icons behind the Icedock in the lower right, too. EZpup has that disabled by default, but MU likes it so I'm not surprised it's enabled in Muppy.

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2008, 21:12    Post subject:  

That looks awesome Jonyo! I love that dockbar too, the one that Mark/MU enables by default---though I've never taken the time to enable it in my Puppy 3.0.1.

Yeah, I was working yesterday in my IceWM desktop as well adding the Hotpup .pet to it (nice dotpet and sooo useful for someone like me!) and I don't recall exactly what it was I did Jonyo---perhaps the same thing you did?---and that's the exact same thing which happened to me! Laughing I use "Sunset", a wallpaper I'd gotten off from WhoDo quite awhile ago that has an elephant on a nice sunset background, very stylish, so to see that green suddenly pop up in front of me yet still see part of "Sunset" behind Conky was a real hoot and a half! Laughing

Didn't take me long to get it fixed again though. I just had to fish "Sunset" out of my "background" directory and place it into "Config" in /root, rename it to "ROX-desktop.jpg", and change the name and location to it in the PuppyPin... Relatively easy. There are a bunch of different ways to fix it of course and I generally take the most-difficult one. Rolling Eyes

Still though Jonyo, that's one awesome desktop just the same!

Amicalement mon bon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

jpennin5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 15:44    Post subject: My puppy  

jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 15:58    Post subject:  

Nice! How do you get the icons on the bottom center like that (guess just move them..)?
Changed mine a bit.
Page 25 of 159 [2375 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 157, 158, 159 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Jump to: