I have 2 wifi cards; neither works with Puppy 3.01

spazboy869

I have 2 wifi cards; neither works with Puppy 3.01

#1 Post by spazboy869 »

i've tried with 2 network cards
i have puppy 3.01

1st 1 is cisco aironet 340 series
2nd is a brand new TP-LInk TL-WN610g

the cisco comes up in the network wizard but says the card does not support wpa encryption and it doesn't work from there and comes up in RuitilT wireless gadjet

the TP-Link does not eeven come up in the in the network wizard and when i try insalling the driver threw ndiswrapper from the cd it still does not work and it does not come up in RuitilT wireless gadjet

please help! if i could get a network card working i would consider my laptop perfect with a full install of puppy i have everything else worked out

thanks so much

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
You sound like another WPA-networker having Wizard problems getting ndiswrapper running. I wrote up my recent experience getting ndiswrapper working with my RALINK cards in another forum topic . Should be OK for you too, if you've got your card's Windows drivers. I doubt you can have two ndiswrapper-driven cards working at the same time.

What I suggest you try is (quoting me from somewhere else):

"I've had a few dramas recently with my WPA network and RALINK cards (RT2500usb).
The default driver in the recent Pups (rt2570usb) is a pain for me, as it does not support WPA. Of course, it finds my WPA router but wont log on, so I get a little bit of transfer as I assume router and computer decide to agree to disagree after a brief "conversation".
So it's back to ndiswrapper (and wpa-supplicant) using the Windows XP driver supplied by RALINK. I copied this inf file to my automatically mounted data partition for easy finding.
Before I use the Puppy wireless wizard, I have to black-list the WPA-defective rt2570 driver by either the "Bootmanager configure bootup" tool (Menu>System>) where modules (drivers) can be Add-ed to the Blacklist, or adding a line like "rmmod rt2570" to rc.local in /etc/rc.d/.
Puppy's otherwise excellent network wizard unfortunately cannot remove useless default drivers.
ndiswrapper can also end up with the wrong driver, so you could need to open a 'console' and enter "ndiswrapper -rm rt2570usb" or what ever the driver is called, before starting over again. Try "ndiswrapper -l" on a 'console' to see what driver it wants to use.

Anyhow, I can now utilize ndiswrapper via the Network wizard (look under the "More" tab) and the Windows driver. Works very well in all my Pups (2.14 to 3.01, but not yet Dingo).

The other problem area if you've got WPA set-up on your wifi network can be wpa_supplicant.conf. Find this conf file in /etc and edit the lines to read your ESSID and key phrase in place of "default", leaving your network details in the quotation marks.
If by chance, you still can't log on, it could be that there's a faulty wpa_supplicant run file. Delete the wpa_supplicant directory in /var/run - a new one will be generated when you run ndiswrapper.

The problem with wifi often seems to be removing the stuff that doesn't work to let the stuff that will work do its thing."

Let us know if anything gets better.

David S.

spazboy869

#3 Post by spazboy869 »

i don't want 2 network card working at the same time I want the new 1 (TP-Link) working thats the 1 i have the driver on cd for and i tried using ndiswrapper

if its not possible i don't mind using the old 1 (cisco) but i don't have a driver on a cd for it the wpa encryption is the problem

I tried changing the wpa stuff on the old 1 (cisco) u told me 2 but wasn't sure were to find the info i was supposed to change it 2

o wait a sec did u mean by 2 not being able to used 2 network cards at the same time meaning that the second 1 isn't showing up for that reason? if so how can i make the 2nd 1 show up in the network wizard

thnx for all ur help

davids45

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Without Windows drivers, leave the old Cisco out of the computer.

I'm assuming you've got a dual booting laptop.
Does your new TP-link card work with Windows and WPA? You've got a big problem if it doesn't.

Do you have a choice of drivers on the CD that came with the new wifi card? - I have drivers for Windows2000, XP, ME and 98 with my various cards.

It's the .inf files you need to use with ndiswrapper and I'd suggest copying each Windows version one (each .inf file) to your hard drive.

Start up Puppy.

Try creating a directory called ndiswrapper in / (root) and put them there so you can find them easily and wont need to load up the CDROM all the time.

For starters, you need to get rid of any corrupting versions of drivers and config files left from trying to get the wifi cards working before.

Use Rox-filer to go to the /var directory then click on /run. Is there a directory called wpa_supplicant there? If there is, delete it. If not, dont worry. It means you haven't got as far as ndiswrapper using wpa_supplicant to try to link onto your WPA network.

Now let's try to find if ndiswrapper is running automatically and if it is, it's being linked to a old driver that is causing things to fail before the wizard can get going.

Click on the rxvt or console icon.

Type in> ndiswrapper -l

(that's -l for list not -1 the number) and hit enter. What's displayed?

Type on a new line> rmmod ndiswrapper
and press enter. This should clear away any old ndiswrapper set-up. Or display something indicating ndiswrapper wasn't loaded.

Type in> iwconfig and press Enter. You should read that you don't have a wireless extension. If you see there is a wireless extension, what is it? wlan0? This could be corrupted and causing a problem to get ndiswrapper+WPA working.

Close the console/rxvt.

Use rox-filer and go to the directory /etc. Open as text the file wpa_supplicant.conf in that directory. Geany should open this so you can edit it.

Find the line where ssid="default" . Replace default with your wifi network's ESSID. Keep the quote marks around it.
Change the psk="default" to psk=whatever your password key is with WPA. Again keep the quote marks around your password key.
Save the wpa_supplicant.conf file which should now match your router set-up name and password.

Shut the computer down.

Re-boot Puppy.

If you're feeling lucky, go to the Network Wizard, open it and see if there's a wireless connection. There should not be. If there is, I expect it's no good for WPA and we'll need to remove/blacklist that driver.

Assuming there are no wireless driver modules loaded, use the Wizard to load ndiswrapper (on the MORE tab) and when it asks where the inf file is, go to your directory of driver files and pick one (eg XP or 2000 - if it's an old laptop, you could try a W98 driver .inf file).

The Wizard will then try to set up a wireless network interface, probably wlan0.

If you've typed in the right ssid and psk for your network, you should be able to Test then DHCP and be connected.

Please tell me how far you get before something fails and if there's any messages when it does. These could indicate where the problem is.

The really bad news could be all your new card's drivers just don't work with ndiswrapper (try Googling?). If you're semi-lucky, there might be one driver off your CDROM that will work but not all so you'll have to try each one, wiping all the files made after each test until you hit on the one that does work.

It's always hardest the first time.

Fingers crossed.

David S.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Apparently your TL-WN610G contains an Atheros AR5212 wifi chipset. See -
http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/TP-Link

So it should be supported by the ath_pci (MADWiFi) driver. Try to load the ath_pci module from the Network Wizard.

spazboy869

#6 Post by spazboy869 »

thanx so much tempestuous! worked with a tiny bit of playing around with the networks

if this is generally helps with wireless card issue mayb u should ask to make a sticky at 1 of the forum topics with it

thnx again and thank you davids45 for all your time i appreciate all ur help

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Well wifi peculiarities are best dealt with by referring to the "How to configure wifi from the commandline" thread, which is already the uppermost sticky in the HOWTO section.