Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
John Doe

#61 Post by John Doe »

Lobster wrote:
Please consider adding Dougal's Hotpup
Agreed
Completely intuitive to see ones available storage devices at the bottom of the screen.
i agree it's really cool and would love to see it included.

is dougal interested in having it included?

i've seen lots of interested persons (myself included now), but i've never seen dougal publicly post the code. did i miss this? or just the intent somewhere?

Sage

#62 Post by Sage »

re. BK's blog today : "guess_fstype utility fixed"
Any chance BK/Jesse could detect BSD fs?! R&W would be a bonus. MUT3?
Ta.

Sage

#63 Post by Sage »

Only just got around to testing the FULL install*. It doesn't work! Range of different symptoms. On a SiS chipset, the CD ejects when it should be starting to extract the files, on an i810 chipset, the utility just drops out after selection the install partition. Tried all the usual tricks - nada.

*i.e. of Dingo alpha7, not BSD.
Last edited by Sage on Wed 12 Mar 2008, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse

#64 Post by Jesse »

Hi sage,
do you happen to know what the bsd filesystem is called? and/or do you know any open source projects that do detect it? as I can then copy over the magic string identifiers to guess_fstype.
Jesse

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

Greetings, Jesse. Of course, you're asking the wrong guy but I did see NFS* flash past during booting and I believe that it's a fairly mainstream type? Their file extensions are .pbi but no idea whether that is relevant? Do I know of any mainstream...etc? No! But I'm sure there are some? There'll be plenty of gurus hanging around here who are better able to advise.

Apart from that, the excitement really is building for the appearance of MUT2.

PS. PC-BSD 1.5 was announced half-an-hour ago, and has a 64bit version. Now would be a great time to try it.

Update: *but KInfoCentre gives it as ufs. Never heard of that one?!

linuxcbon

#66 Post by linuxcbon »

In page1 I also noticed full disk install doesnt work

Sage

#67 Post by Sage »

So you did - I missed that as you were reporting different symptoms. Where are you? Oz? France?

Greatnessguru

Barry: "post a SeaMonkey-specific bug report"

#68 Post by Greatnessguru »

Barry,

Bugzilla@Mozilla – Enter Bug
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... mat=guided
"Which product is affected by the problem you would like to report?"
"Mozilla Application Suite:
This product covers SeaMonkey, ..."

###,
Eddie Maddox

BarryK
Puppy Master

#69 Post by BarryK »

The problem that zygo has reported about missing content in chap-secrets and pap-secrets is strange. I have posted a report on this to my blog today, www.puppylinux.com/blog/

Attached is the pupdial script with a workaround to fix this problem. Kindly let me know if it works for you. The script goes into /usr/sbin and has to be set executable if it isn't already. You can see the changes in the script where the comments have the string "v3.98".
Attachments
pupdial.gz
(4.15 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

disciple

#70 Post by disciple »

Barry - in the other thread you mentioned you were thinking of opening images in gview when clicking on them in ROX - I complained in the alpha 6 thread about using MtPaint for this, but the other thing to realise is that gview (at least in alpha 6) segfaults on a lot of images.

linuxcbon

#71 Post by linuxcbon »

Barry that aint fair, I saw hard disk install bug before 8)
I agree the citrus theme is bad, it hurts my eyes.
Images should be opened by default by a viewer.

gerry

#72 Post by gerry »

HURRAH!!! I can print from Abiword to my Canon i965 printer! Well done!

Gerry
[/b]

fzsolt

Dingo alpha7 with dual CPU

#73 Post by fzsolt »

Hi,
I've tried Dingo alpha7 on a machine with an Abit BP6 board equipped with two Celeron 533 MHz CPUs and 512 MB of RAM. Booted without a problem (the previous version hang during booting), and runs smoothly. However, cpuinfo reported only one processor. Is it a bug?
Earlier, when I tried an earlier Dingo (sorry, I forgot which version), it reported two CPUs in that machine.

HairyWill

#74 Post by HairyWill »

Image viewer is better than editor
if the viewer is qiv Dougal has been working on using a key binding to then open mtpaint

personally I couldn't give a snakes armpit about the theme colour
I do like using the gtk theme to generate the jwm theme ala 2.14R
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

cymberlaen

#75 Post by cymberlaen »

Works with PIII and Soyo motherboard ( ancient hardware, I know ),
but gives an identification error on the Intel video probe PCI ID 71208086
seems to be unknown by the driver, but it correctly allows me to set
1280x1024x24 video. The dialog says "OK for monitor, maybe not for card" or some such.

Is there some way to decrease the interval where the pup_save file is autosaved ?

Also, all attempts at encrypting the pup_save file failed to reboot ; saved to a n ext2 formatted 1 GB flash drive and did NOT have the pup_396.sfs on it ; was booting from CD.

disciple

#76 Post by disciple »

Citrus is evil :)
The main problem with mtPaint as a viewer is just that it opens at 100% zoom or something, so it is fairly useless for looking at even moderately sized photos from a digital camera or anything.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#77 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hello Barry,

I'm an avid NFS user! I have set up Puppy 2.14 (TeenPUP) as an NFS client on my Linux only network, attaching to a Linux server running Ubuntu latest version 7.10. It works great and by moding the rc.local file I can get the NFS share to load at boot time automatcally. I need to use the mountFULL command.

I tried Puppy 3.01 but I can't seem to get NFS to work, it seems NFS support isn't available in 3.01. Am I right?

Will NFS support be in Dingo?

I really hope so as NFS is so much faster than samba for streaming media. I use it to listen to my music collection while cooking in the Out house or doing the ironing in the basement. I have clients in both places. If I use samba the stream gets really choppy which makes listening to music a real pain.

Needless to say, the PCs I use here are really old P3s with 256ram.

Hilary

Jesse

#78 Post by Jesse »

Hi Barry,

I think Citrus in Dingo is just peachy, but that it probably shouldn't be the default theme.
Colours and Icons are always personal choice things, and any Linux user will know they can choose a new theme, window widgets, window colours etc... but for the windows converts that are experiencing Linux for the first time, wow, what an eye opener to a different world!

How about a nice plain teal background, and icons from Windows 95 (as an option)? :D
Or perhaps the first window on first-time boot to open up and ask if they would like a "windows feel" type of theme.

Jesse

disciple

#79 Post by disciple »

I think the standard/original/whatever they are called icon/gtk/JWM themes are best as they offend the fewest people. I don't think there is really a need for more Windows-like themes. But what would make Puppy really easy on the eyes is switching everything to use Helvetica :) I do it on my machine, but for some reason seamonkey just won't obey... in spite of the special line in gtkrc that makes FF and TB obey.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Dingo alpha7 with dual CPU

#80 Post by BarryK »

fzsolt wrote:Hi,
I've tried Dingo alpha7 on a machine with an Abit BP6 board equipped with two Celeron 533 MHz CPUs and 512 MB of RAM. Booted without a problem (the previous version hang during booting), and runs smoothly. However, cpuinfo reported only one processor. Is it a bug?
Earlier, when I tried an earlier Dingo (sorry, I forgot which version), it reported two CPUs in that machine.
Yes, alpha7 has the same kernel 2.6.21.7 as Puppy3.0x, compiled without SMP support.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]