IceWM Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
WhoDo

Re: How To IceWM

#41 Post by WhoDo »

tlucas wrote: I would like to customise my install of Puppy with one of the themes I have seen here, but am not sure where to start.

If I understand correctly I firstly need to install IceWM but how do I do that?
Search the forum for EZpup and download that. It is a one-step install. You simply click on the EZpup dotpet file and it will self-install IceWM, themes, mouse cursors, the lot.

Check out the EZpup Help page on the wiki for more details.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

SpiceGuid

#42 Post by SpiceGuid »

Just wanted to say you themers do a great work that really adds value.

Having a few excellent themes saves a great amount of time digging a load of average stuff.

WhoDo

Just to keep the pot boiling here..

#43 Post by WhoDo »

Blue-Velvet-Vista is a chance for me to move back away from the glassy look, while still keeping some of the classic ideas. Hope you like them.

The theme was originally based on Jan Engelhardt's <jengelh [at] gmx de> "IceVista", but has had so many changes it's hardly recognisable. Nevertheless, the title bar buttons remain Jan's (unretouched) work, and for those I'm very grateful because he does a such a great job!

Enjoy!
Attachments
Blue-Velvet-Vista.pet
Blue Velvet Vista-like theme for IceWM
(79.78 KiB) Downloaded 3736 times
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Eyes-Only

#44 Post by Eyes-Only »

WOW WhoDo! That's an incredibly beautiful theme! Thanks for all your hard work and in the end when you're finished, for sharing said hard work with the rest of us incapable of making such.

I know that I sure do appreciate it. And you know others do as well mate!

Hmm... I like that frame/theme you've got around your GTK-Clock as well. Did you make that too?

Again: Thanks so much for sharing and enriching our lives!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#45 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hmm... I like that frame/theme you've got around your GTK-Clock as well. Did you make that too?
Not guilty, Jimmi. That's not Gtk-Clock but a Gdesklets clock with multiple choices of face. Gdesklets is a rather HEAVY way to get desktop eye-candy, where Gtkbasic003 is much lighter but doesn't seem to have the variety.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with Screenlets instead, but then that would need Python and a much more overweight Puppy. It's just that I like my local weather, analogue clock and a calendar on the desktop or I would do without all of them!

Wbar, OTOH, is the absolute best investment - right up there with Hotpup! Thanks to Dougal for those two gems!

Eyes-Only

#46 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks for the info Warren as it's very much appreciated! :)

Regarding Wbar: On that I definitely have to agree with you as to it being a true "gem of gems"! I've tried several of these "iBar/iDock" look-a-likes (AWN and SimDock being two that come to mind right off) but nothing can compare to this Wbar. It's in a league and class by itself being so lite on resources, easy to configure with a text file, etc. Seems to run on just about everything and every desktop (even some the coder said it shouldn't).

I've too been enjoying that HotPup as well. That ranks right up there high in my book. I've always loved auto-mount and wished Puppy would do such (mainly because of how I have various caches, email, and backups all in one partition), and Hotpup permits me so many various options that I can auto-mount and forget it, or set various other settings and features. It's amazing!

Those have to be two of the best of the many great programmes I've discovered here over the past two years. I love it!

Take care Warren and thanks again for the theme!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only/jimmi
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

Dark-Saphire IceWM Theme

#47 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:Take care Warren and thanks again for the theme!
Oh, I haven't finished yet, Jimmi! :P Here is a "new" theme I think just might knock VistaBlack-V off its perch! :wink: It's called "Dark-Saphire".

Enjoy!

Attachments
Dark-Saphire.pet
Dark-Saphire IceWM theme by WhoDo
(67.55 KiB) Downloaded 4019 times

big_bass

Re: Dark-Saphire IceWM Theme

#48 Post by big_bass »

WhoDo wrote:
Eyes-Only wrote:Take care Warren and thanks again for the theme!
Oh, I haven't finished yet, Jimmi! :P Here is a "new" theme I think just might knock VistaBlack-V off its perch! :wink: It's called "Dark-Saphire".

Enjoy!

I like it just downloaded it
Do you use or need to use a modified icewm for this to work

what Icewm do you use can you link me please ?

that clear look on the console just makes my jaw drop got to have it :lol:

great work
link me please to what else I need to get it all up

P.S is it alright if I get lazy once and a while and let some one do all the work and I just sit back and enjoy
big_bass :D

WhoDo

Re: Dark-Saphire IceWM Theme

#49 Post by WhoDo »

big_bass wrote:I like it just downloaded it
Do you use or need to use a modified icewm for this to work

what Icewm do you use can you link me please ?
I'm using Icewm 1.2.34 but any of the later Icewm versions should work - 1.2.3x series. The cutdown Icewm that ttuuxxx created, or anything from EZpup 2.xx or 3.xx should be fine.
big_bass wrote:that clear look on the console just makes my jaw drop got to have it :lol:
That's mrxvt and it is available in Caneri or MU's repository lists.
big_bass wrote:great work
link me please to what else I need to get it all up
If you want the other stuff, the clock, the weather app and the calendar are Gdesklets packaged in dotpet by Wow (I think). Available from the forum.

The floating launch bar is Dougals' Wbar, also available from the forum.

Of course that's Dougal's Hotpup in the bottom left corner, too.

Background is from InterfaceLift web site. Don't remember what it's called.
big_bass wrote:P.S is it alright if I get lazy once and a while and let some one do all the work and I just sit back and enjoy
Of course. I do. :wink:

Eyes-Only

#50 Post by Eyes-Only »

Ah Warren! Just what can I say here? Yet another eye-popper! It's brilliant mate! But hmm... "Take the places of VistaBlack V"? Personally, for me? That would be stretching it a bit. :P

For me, my all-time favourite would be "VistaBlack V" followed in dead-heat by the "Smooth Sapphire" when ALL the parts are together (meaning the wallpaper, etc.), then followed a very close third by "Breaker51" which I picked up God only knows where. A close 4th is "IceBuntu"---when used with the Human icons and my Ubuntu wallpapers as I've managed to make IceWM look like Gnome very closely with that. :twisted:

By and large though I've been mainly sticking with Mint and another Linux I threw together myself based upon an .rpm system with a kernel by Texstar and in both these distros I've been doing my own desktops with bits n' pieces in their respective repos. Keeps me and my 4 wheeler out of the bars at night. ;) LOL!

Thanks again for yet another truly beautiful work of art Warren! That's two I've got sitting here now in backup which means later I'll have to reboot and install them, eh? ;)

Keep up the fabulous work Warren! For people like me who have to sit in front of a computer for 16 hours 7 days a week you make things truly exciting---and you of all people know that I mean that mate!

Amicalement,

jimmi
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

IceWM Themes Bonanza!

#51 Post by WhoDo »

I told you I wasn't finished yet! :P

I have just uploaded a swag of theme packs to our mirrors as follows:

WhoDo-Dark-Ice.pet
Dark-Emerald
Dark-Ruby
Dark-Saphire

WhoDo-Smooth-Ice.pet
Smooth-Copper
Smooth-Emerald
Smooth-Ruby
Smooth-Saphire
Golden-Mood

WhoDo-Velvet-Ice.pet
Velvet-Azul
Velvet-Baize
Velvet-Wine

WhoDo-WinXP-Ice.pet
WinXP-Royale (Media Center Edition)
WinXP-Royale-Noir (Black Royale)
WinXP-Blue
WinXP-Olive
WinXP-Silver

WhoDo-WinVista-Ice.pet
Blue-Velvet-Vista
VistaBlack-Glass

WhoDo-Xtreme-Ice.pet
IcebergX
Icebuntu
Quanx-Who
Xtreme-Animated

I'm sure our mirror hosts will post links when they have the files up for download. Look for them at dotpups.de, puppylinux.ca and pkagfiles.net

Enjoy!
Last edited by WhoDo on Tue 22 Apr 2008, 21:23, edited 3 times in total.

big_bass

Re: IceWM Themes Bonanza!

#52 Post by big_bass »

WhoDo wrote:I told you I wasn't finished yet! :P
WhoDo I downloaded all of your themes excellent work to thumbs up!

ice dot pup 128
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ch&id=2199

WhoDo theme Dark Saphire
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=9150

Dougals Wbar info *I didn,t install the bar yet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=127662

Wbar download
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=4718

did you catch the desktop message :wink:

Thank you WhoDo !

big_bass
Attachments
thanks WhoDo.png
(157.65 KiB) Downloaded 21492 times

WhoDo

#53 Post by WhoDo »

I have modified dvw86's original Abby theme to look a bit like the latest Macintosh style. If you want the background to go with it, let me know and I'll upload it here. Positioning the taskbar is done with IceWM Config and of course you'll need Dougal's Wbar for the launcher.

Edit: Now includes the Leopard wallpaper and Gekos-Leopard Gtk theme.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 27 Apr 2008, 02:24, edited 4 times in total.

WhoDo

#54 Post by WhoDo »

And for those who prefer the look of a simpler time, when clarity was king and color was used sparingly for effect ...

Introducing MacRetro by WhoDo.

Dotpet includes MacRetro IceWM theme, gekos_leopard Gtk-theme and Macish wallpaper (must be tiled).

Enjoy!

Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 27 Apr 2008, 02:25, edited 2 times in total.

Eyes-Only

#55 Post by Eyes-Only »

And the Theme Master has struck once again! All I can do is look at these and say, "WHOA!" WhoDo and stare :shock: Words truly do fail me when it comes to trying to review your themes.

I do know that theming for IceWM has sat basically stagnant for years (if you look at places like FreshMeat), so to see someone of your calibre putting out fresh themes and remakes at the rate you do... well... I can imagine that it's breathing new life and interest across the board back into the viability of IceWM as a serious desktop window manager. I've noticed over the past 6 to 8 months how more people outside of Puppydom have come to recognise its quality now and how it's even being included in such serious distros as Mandriva, Debian, and others on their install disks as an alternative to KDE/Gnome.

Thank you so much for sharing my friend! Oh yeah, and if I may? Personally I think the wallpaper should be included in Abby-Mac.pet for those who don't have it and would like it. If I remember correctly running it through mtPaint and saving it as a .jpg at 85% quality (which is the level I save most of my .jpgs) really knocked down the kilobytes on that file without noticeable degredation, but I could be wrong and thinking of another you'd sent me in the past.

Thanks again Warren!

Amicalement,

-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#56 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:Personally I think the wallpaper should be included in Abby-Mac.pet for those who don't have it and would like it.
Oh, all right... :P I've updated the dotpet in the original post to include the Leopard wallpaper and Gekos-Leopard Gtk theme, but only because YOU asked for it, jimmi! :lol:

MU

#57 Post by MU »

it seems there is a package-error:
/usr/share/themes/Gekos_Leopard/

The pics there must go in the subfolder /gtk-2.0.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Eyes-Only

#58 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks for mentioning that Mark---though I'm sure we've both made Warren's day with all these .pet redo's, eh? LOL! (NOT!) ;)

Nice that we can all be such wonderful friends here though and get away with a little razzing n' teasing from time to time, isn't it? Humour! It makes Life so much more enjoyable by far! :lol:

Actually Warren, you didn't have to include the wallpaper for MOI. As you may recall I already have that magnificent piece of work thanks to you! (Oh!---and far from scare the kiddos, they adored it! But they're the type who'd pet a bear if I said it was safe. LOL!) Granted, I don't have the exact one because of the logo on this one but I like mine well enough as it came directly from a mate of mine. :)

By the way Warren: I've brought over into my 3.0.1 from Mint and then the "Linux I threw together" both the "Darklooks" and "Aurora-Midnight" GTK2 themes & widgets, etc., and have been having a lot of fun with those! A lot of these dark themes you've made for IceWM recently, such as the "Dark Sapphire", go wonderfully with "Darklooks" and your "VistaBlackV" goes excellent with "Aurora-Midnight" as the black and blue accents are nearly a perfect match. Stunning! :shock:

Keep up the fabulous work mate!

Amicalement,

-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#59 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:it seems there is a package-error:
/usr/share/themes/Gekos_Leopard/

The pics there must go in the subfolder /gtk-2.0.
Mark
Thanks, Mark. Corrected and uploaded to original post. Also corrected location of background in MacRetro.pet and reloaded.

Cheers

Botanic

#60 Post by Botanic »

IceKDE-1.7.1

So, here's the theme i created, designed to look like KDE 3.5 - at least that's what the taskbar, clock, start button, Rox icons, taskbar icons, window decorations and other minor items are here for.

Notes:
* this theme uses the DejaVuSans font. Be sure it's installed on your system
* the icon theme that goes with the theme (594 kb) is in /root/.icons/IceKDEicons
Attachments
p2161_icekde.jpg
(104.79 KiB) Downloaded 12043 times
Last edited by Botanic on Sun 27 Jul 2008, 22:57, edited 9 times in total.