Which web browser 2008? POLL

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy

Which web browser should be used for the next Puppy community release?

Poll ended at Sat 27 Dec 2008, 14:05

Firefox
43%
Seamonkey
13%
Opera
32%
Netscape Navigator
No votes
Dillo
No votes
Kazehakase
No votes
Hv3
No votes
Skipstone
No votes
Flock
No votes
NetSurf
No votes
None (add your own)
11%
Other (please state)
2%

Total votes: 47

darrelljon

Which web browser 2008? POLL

#1 Post by darrelljon »

Which web browser should be used for the next Puppy community release and why? Thanks to MU for pointing out Barry will probably continue to use Seamonkey and to WhoDo as to why Swiftfox isn't viable.

klu9

#2 Post by klu9 »

I strongly believe that the only sensible choice is My Preferred Browser. It is far better than Your Preferred Browser when it comes to My Personal Criteria.

I therefore humbly nominate My Preferred Browser, and sneer at Your Preferred Browser.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Maybe have Seamonkey in standard ISO for the general public, but also offer (for us picky so-and-so's):
  • an ISO without Seamonkey
  • Xdelta Patches to add your browser of choice (so that you can just xdelta the "browserless" ISO instead of burning, dotpetting, remastering and burning again).
Personally I prefer Opera; the only thing Seamonkey seems to have over it is a WYSIWYG HTML creator.

So seeing as how this browser war will probably never be resolved, just give me the option of a "browserless" ISO (with maybe just HV3, NetSurf or Dillo) and an Xdelta patch to build Opera into that ISO.

PS just to be clear, I voted "None (add your own)".
[size=75]- Remember: it's a [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage]wiki[/url]. You can contribute too! :D
- Puplet creators, see [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DistributingYourPuplet]DistributingYourPuplet[/url][/size]

linuxcbon

#3 Post by linuxcbon »

For what I tried :
The fastest of them all was Dillo but it lacks javascript :( .
Netsurf also lacks javascript but seems fast.
Opera is fast but complicated and proprietary.
Seamonkey and Firefox are slow.
Hv3 is buggy and slow.
Seamonkey wins for me, until there is something better, faster, easier...

kayan

secure ?

#4 Post by kayan »

I had used seamonkey browser, saved password and login at email id
i have started receiving spam mails....reverted back to Opera

for me opera wins at full security ,and speed :lol:

Th3_uN1Qu3

#5 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

Oh-Peh-Rah. :D

It isn't open source, but it's a damn good piece of software. On my laptop it runs loads better on Puppy than it did on XP, and it's the fastest full-featured browser available.

If you add its security into the mix, Opera not getting any trojans, spam, malware or whatever even under windoze, we have a winner.
[b]Toshi Portege 4010[/b] | PIII Tualatin 933MHz | 512MB RAM | Cyberblade 16MB | 30GB | WiFi, IrDA | ~5 hrs runtime | WinMe :( |

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8125/userbar654682fy5.gif[/img]

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#6 Post by Billwho? »

Normally I would have voted for Seamonkey but I believe the Xdelta suggestion may be the best way to solve the problem of individual tastes.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Keef

#7 Post by Keef »

Generally I would prefer Firefox, but for the most part I can live with Seamonkey. Never took to Dillo as I like to have javascript, and it won't handle downloads for me. Although Opera is touted as being fast, I have found it noticeably (but only slightly) slower for me under both Puppy and XP. I recently had ago with BrowseX, but its very very ugly.
So I've gone for None - grow yer own.

prehistoric

why I use Opera, but voted for Firefox

#8 Post by prehistoric »

My vote represents a conflicted mind. For compatibility with the widest range of plugins and extensions I think Firefox is the answer. For memory use and security I think Opera 9.26 is better. (There is more compatible malware for Firefox.) When Firefox 3 gets out of that minefield, it looks like a good bet.

The option of choosing a version without a large browser and installing your own choice should be there, but it simply cannot be the primary version presented to newbies, who have good reason to expect a browser and no understanding of Xdelta.

I'm interested in any other cases where people believe Seamonkey may have been used to steal logins and passwords. If you have an example, either post here or send me a PM.

prehistoric

pch.shot

#9 Post by pch.shot »

Opera. Fairly secure, fast, better features than SeaMonkey or IceWeazel and more light weight than Firefox(it is getting as bad as IE). pch

imnotrich

opera is great, but...

#10 Post by imnotrich »

sinks because it doesn't support java, flash other plug ins.

which is why I had to pick firefox.

Sea Monkey can be taught to work with java and flash, but again plug ins not out there. And it runs like a three legged dog, gets the job done but rather awkward/slow.