TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

You are certainly correct that an apostrophe is wrong, koolie, but I'm not too sure about handling that 's' ; Gowers is equally and, unusually, less than clear. Photos has to be correct, too. CD and MP3 are not strictly words, though. One way to treat them is to leave a space, viz: CD s . It's a form of shorthand so the traditional rules don't apply. More irksome are the guys who haven't twigged that Forum contributions need not conform to a character count. Text-speak is not only unnecessary but can lead to confusion and misunderstanding. Just the sort of thing moderators might stamp on.

Otherwise, TeenPup is beginning to mimic the offerings of Beelzebub. Far too long in arriving, too much hype! Let's hope it doesn't suffer the same 'features'?! By the time you reduce the .iso size to ~350Mb it might even become a competitor to Wolvix, Nimblex and a plethora of other worthy contenders....

john biles

#22 Post by john biles »

Good old Sage, enough said.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#23 Post by Lobster »

Have updated the wiki news :)

Managed to get the printer working (I used the wizard) but there seems to be an easier way using the KDE system. :)

I was running from CD and I think the whole ISO went into ram . . . as the memory usage seemed to give erratic results. At first programs were slow then fast, then slow to load.
Be interested how others get on.
I have 512MB of Ram. Could it be the squash file technology?

Teenpup looks great.
Look at all those program - all there and ready to use . . .

Teenpup may have started for teenagers but I think it is great for adults.
(AdultPup anyone?)

Some important considerations:
John has offered development and support for this puplet
I am sure his long term plans will also ensure a great experience
for the mature teen

Update
John mentions at least 512MB of ram required
I think this is the key
I tried it on a 196MB laptop running from CD and it was too slow
for me to use

woof woof
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 05 Mar 2008, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Softpedia's link is now working, Download TEENpup2008 from here. http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 1563.shtml#

john biles

#25 Post by john biles »

Hello prit1,
I tried your link and some videos played (see screenshot) while others didn't.
With the mms being a windows format, some feeds work and some don't. Not much I can do about it. I spend some time on this and even the large Linux distro's don't seem to have an answer for it either.

Dingo

#26 Post by Dingo »

is possible start TeenPup as live Cd? and how?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

prit1

#27 Post by prit1 »

john biles wrote:Hello prit1,
I tried your link and some videos played (see screenshot) while others didn't.
With the mms being a windows format, some feeds work and some don't. Not much I can do about it. I spend some time on this and even the large Linux distro's don't seem to have an answer for it either.
John,

Thanks for looking into this.

BUT ... I always play this video stream in Puppy 2.16, Puppy 2.17.1, Puppy 2.15CE, FireHydrant, Muppy - NO Problems at all. Plays all the videos without interruption.

Prit

nic2109

#28 Post by nic2109 »

Hi; I'm downloading as I type this and looking forward to trying it out. I'm most eager to try gtkpod to see if I can connect my iPod successfully. I read recently in another forum (following a recent upgrade) about Apple's DRM making the "database" of content appear invisible, so this will be very interesting.

One general question about hosting iso files. Is there a policy among those who host ('caneri' and 'MU' and others) about filing them as metalinks and/or torrents? This would appear to help with bandwidth issues and to share out the load (I'm at work with a corporate T2 line and while I've been typing it's got to 5% downloaded with almost 2 hrs to go - presumably it's caneri's service which is throttled) as well as speed up the service for downloaders. Is there a downside which non-teckies (like me) cannot see? Or is it a case that they simply host whatever they are given?

If the latter is true then it might be prudent amongst the hosters to establish a policy.

PS. Damn! "The connection with the server was reset". I'll try at home with wget - currently forced to use The Devil's Own OS and Browser. :twisted:
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

nic2109

#29 Post by nic2109 »

john biles wrote:Good old Sage, enough said.
Hear hear!

Has 'Sage' been officially awarded the title of 'Puppy's very own "Grumpy Old Man" ' yet? If not I'd like to propose it. :wink:

Sage

#30 Post by Sage »

In my day, it'd be the 'slipper' and no tea for such insolence!

OK, so there are a number of curious 'features' which I don't have time to outline tonight, but one that stood out was the message that my NIC hadn't been found (SiS900 - almost as ubiquitous as RTL8100-series). It had, though, and it was working.

denny14

#31 Post by denny14 »

Lobster wrote:Have updated the wiki news :)

Managed to get the printer working (I used the wizard) but there seems to be an easier way using the KDE system. :)

I was running from CD and I think the whole ISO went into ram . . . as the memory usage seemed to give erratic results. At first programs were slow then fast, then slow to load.
Be interested how others get on.
I have 512MB of Ram. Could it be the squash file technology?

Teenpup looks great.
Look at all those program - all there and ready to use . . .

Teenpup may have started for teenagers but I think it is great for adults.
(AdultPup anyone?)

Some important considerations:
John has offered development and support for this puplet
I am sure his long term plans will also ensure a great experience
for the mature teen

Update
John mentions at least 512MB of ram required
I think this is the key
I tried it on a 196MB laptop running from CD and it was too slow
for me to use

woof woof
Does TEENpup require 512MB? I thought it only needed 128MB ram.

john biles

#32 Post by john biles »

Hello denny14,
While TEENpup2008 will run from the CD Live on PC's with 128Mb's of RAM, TEENpup has been aimed mainly at the Puppy user's who want to install TEENpup to their Hard Drives.
I run a Pentium III 800Mhz 128Mb PC installed with TEENpup 2008 installed to its Hard Drive with 1GB of Swap (500Mb of swap would be enough) and it plays DVD's Just fine through VLC Player.
In testing on a PC with Pentium 4 and 256Mb's of Ram with no Swap VLC Player played 600MB avi Movies with no problems from a USB Stick.

I know TEENpup2008 won't work for everyone's PC, All I can say is try it and see.

Jim2029

#33 Post by Jim2029 »

I Like it.... But....

In seamonkey, when I have more than one tab open, i can't close them.... Like if i have 3 tabs opened and i click the X for that tab to close, nothing happens. I have tried file-close tab and right clicking on the tab and selecting close tab.... still nothing. I have to close seamonkey out all the way then reopen it to close any tabs...

whats wrong?

eccentric

Teen pup 2008

#34 Post by eccentric »

First, thank you for the new pup.

The glitch is a thick black line across the clock in the bottom right hand corner , any thoughts on this or is it my video.
i use an Intell board with a 2.4g CPU, with every thing built on board plus 512m memory.

When i have an extra network card i will try to link my two machines together with your software, i will let you know how i get on.

Michael.

john biles

#35 Post by john biles »

Hello eccentric,
There's nothing wrong with the clock, that's the way the theme is If you open Rox (Click on Home icon on desktop) and click on the padlock icon at the top of Rox to show the hidden files and then open the .icewm folder, you will see a folder called themes and inside you will see all the themes used in TEENpup. If you take for example the DARKT theme and open it, you will see a folder called Ledclock. Open that folder will show the numbers that make up the clock. To change the clock, change those icons to something you like. You can take the icons from other themes from say Whodo's icewm themes.

Hello Jim2029,
I been using Seamonkey version 1.1.8 since its release and haven't come across that problem? If it continues and you want to change seamonkey to an earlier version, let me know and I will tell you how to do it.
Last edited by john biles on Thu 06 Mar 2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

countryside37

#36 Post by countryside37 »

Do the browsers support flash?

Ray MK

#37 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Just had to say FANTASTIC - running from cd on my laptop with 240mb ram and 2.5ghz celeron proc.

Have you seen those application menu's - "luverly" and the little rotating chappy top right corner of seamonkey.

BRILLIANT - just about to zap last copy of XPdoze on hda1 and replace it with some proper software.

John - you deserve a medal - many thanks for a superPUP.

One absolutely ecstatic puppy n00bi - Ray MK

john biles

#38 Post by john biles »

Hello Ray MK,
Thank you for your comments. If I make just one TEENpup user happy, then I succeeded. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hello countryside37,
Seamonkey support Flash and is ready to go straight away.
For Java you need to install it first by running the installer from the desktop on the right of screen.

Sadly Konqueror at this time doesn't work with Flash, but with some fiddling will work with Java, but as Java isn't installed by default because it expands from 25Mb's in size to 85Mb's when installed, I couldn't link it to the correct file locations needed.

Also on the right of screen is the help-info icon. You will find more information about TEENpup there and is worth a read.

Sage

#39 Post by Sage »

An Xfce version might be faster, smaller, more versatile and more efficient? Opera might solve 99% of the browser issues, albeit needing a little more tweaking (a lot of the claims that this 'n that don't work in Opera are fallacious.)
The strange non-recognition recognition of NIC s disappears on full installations. With all those media players, I assumed that there'd be no problems listening to my favourite Cajun and Zydeco station, KRVS. None of them succeeded; not even those that work on other distro including some Puppy versions.

denny14

TEENpup Requirements

#40 Post by denny14 »

Hi,

John Biles.....you replied to my post a a few days ago saying that TEENpup will run addequately on 128MB RAM. I'm not trying to dispute this. Obviously you're the one who'a made this so you're the one who knows the most about this. Having said this, I was talking to someone who's installed TEENpup and after using it, they said that you should have 512MB RAM. What does he mean? You've said you can run it on 128MB RAM? Was this person being a bit generous with the RAM or do you essentially need more than 128MB RAM? Please reply soon as I want to install it as soon as possible (I don't want to install it then find out it goes too slow).

By the way, my computer has 384MB RAM, Pentium 3, 8MB Graphics Card.

Thanks. Cya.