pcPuppyOS RC5 - Maximum Testers Requested!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
37fleetwood

#41 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi, I'm a total novice so my question may be stupid but here goes. I have downloaded pcPuppyOS RC5 and like it very well. I have a small portrait studio in the planning stages and wanted to install this distro on a laptop which will have most if not all of my business stuff on it. I like the idea of encryption to protect my stuff and protect my customer information if it gets stolen but wouldn't it be better if I used something like True Crypt which will encrypt the whole drive so I don't have to worry if I have everything protected? right now I have windows with bestcrypt and it is very simple to use. I just type in the pass and from there everything is transparently encrypted. I know nobody can get to anything. can True Crypt be offered in the form of a .pet? how well would it work with Puppy? I think this is the only thing missing for my intended use. True Crypt is available for OpenSuse . and Ubuntu it is also relatively small at 2105 K. here is the site:
http://www.truecrypt.org/
thanx so much.
Scott
P.S. if this isn't the place for the question please let me know and direct me there.

37fleetwood

#42 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I looked at True Crypt and it only allows file system encryption in windows at this point. are there any easy to use interfaces? I stumbled across an article on using features of the kernel to encrypt the file system and swap drive. it was definitely not for the novice!!
Scott

friedsonjm

#43 Post by friedsonjm »

pcPuppyOS includes:

Enigmail Security extension to Mozilla Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

and

Emcrypt Device-mapper target that provides transparent encryption of block devices

Emcrypt has a choice of encryptions, including Truecrypt options.

Its not 'very easy' to use, but its not overly arcane, either

It may suit your needs.

jf

ralphv

pcPuppyOS RC5 - Maximum Testers Requested!

#44 Post by ralphv »

Do I still need the wine .pet that was needed in rc1? I am having trouble running wine.
Ralph

friedsonjm

#45 Post by friedsonjm »

You don't need the pet, just pcPuppyOS and the separate winetools download. You need to wait for the next release, which should be 'shortly.'
jf

ralphv

#46 Post by ralphv »

friedsonjm wrote:You don't need the pet, just pcPuppyOS and the separate winetools download. You need to wait for the next release, which should be 'shortly.'
jf
I have winetools included in pcPuppyOS. When I try to make a new fake windows drive or update the old one, things don't work. When I try to install things, like dcm, it fails

Ralph

friedsonjm

#47 Post by friedsonjm »

There is an installation sequence you have to go through to set them up, and right now, it fails.. wait for the next version, and please try again!
thanks,
jf

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

Personally, I just use the "stock" installation of Wine that's included and ignore the WineTools stuff. In my mind, it's simpler. So far WineTools has just been a pain in the butt more than anything else.
(Edit for clarification: it has been more of a pain than anything else it has been, not more of a pain than anything else I've worked on...)

I'll look into the newer ntfs-3g when I get a chance.

For encryption, friedsonjm meant Dmcrypt, not Emcrypt. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I think it's supposed to support encrypting entire partitions. I don't know how you'd use that with the partition that pcPuppyOS is installed on, but you could probably use it for the other ones. There is also built in support for using it with the save-file if you don't do a full-hd install. So you could set up a small unencrypted partition just for the save-file and such, then a bigger partition for everything else. Then just don't put anything on that unencrypted partition unless it's inside the save-file or essential files (such as pup_301.sfs if you do a frugal-hd install).

Note: there is a misconception that frugal installs are slow without a bunch of ram. The reality is that they are only extra fast with a bunch of ram. Otherwise they run at more normal speeds. There is a "slow zone" when you have the borderline amount of ram so it loads to ram and leaves you with none left, which is when you should use the pfix=noram boot option (add it to GRUB's menu.lst file).

I'll try to resume work on Wednesday.

EDIT: If anyone has preferences on version numbers for the other stuff I'm looking at, now would be a good time to mention them.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

friedsonjm

#49 Post by friedsonjm »

Welll.... as usual, you can get a quick answer from me, or a correct one from pizzasgood! :lol:
jf

puppyluvr

Remaster mod

#50 Post by puppyluvr »

Hello friedsonjm,
a script to remaster from hd install!!!!
You are my hero!!!. Any chance it will be available by itself???
That would be a life saver for those of us trying to remaster on limited ram. I would love to remaster my hd install of my Pup instead of rebuilding it every time from the live cd and packages..
Thank You

Puppyluvr..BuddaPup on p3 600 160mb, full install
Puppy Rocks!!!

friedsonjm

#51 Post by friedsonjm »

pizzasgood does the programming; I just pay the bills! I'm not so certain, however, that it is possible as just an 'add on,' will see what he says.
If you have limited ram, you may want to try pcPuppyOS. With the clock and calendar and conky all running, starts off on my machine using only about 35MB RAM, meaning my 384 MB system has yet to need to use any swap file, as I'm just loading what I'm actually running. The ability to delete the 'canned' applications is built-in to pcPuppyOS, so you can get rid of OpenOffice and substitute something 'lighter' if need be, by way of example.
Sounds like it just might work for you..
jf

http://www.pcpuppyos.com

Now on RC6 - the hopefully-really-final release candidate!

Pizzasgood

#52 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, here's the script. I think it should work in the standard Puppy 3.01, and probably 3.00. First back up /usr/sbin/remasterpup2, then extract this and put it there.
Attachments
remasterpup2.gz
A remaster script that should work with a full-hd install
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

puppyluvr

remaster script

#53 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hey Pizza,
:D :D Sweet :D :D , I will try it post haste!! on my wNOP full install and let you know how it works..
Thanks...

Turpin

Excellent

#54 Post by Turpin »

Holy ...! We didn't already have a way to remaster from HD installs? :o
And you created one?!!! Pizzasgood, you rock. 8)
I won't have a use for this any time soon, but definitely a great thing to know it's here.

Pizzasgood

#55 Post by Pizzasgood »

I forgot about this. I need to look over it again and give it another test-run or two (this time on generic Puppy 3.01), then post it on a "regular" forum area.

nycjeff

#56 Post by nycjeff »

Pizzasgood, do you know if that script a few posts up works with the new puppy 4.0?

-jeff

Pizzasgood

#57 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know. I'd have to see how different 4.00's script is from 3.01's. If I remember how the script works, I don't think there's a whole lot that could have changed, so I think it might work. But I might easily be forgetting something.

Pizzasgood

#58 Post by Pizzasgood »

There were a couple changes. This one should work, but I haven't tested it at all.

If you extract this, it will produce a "remaster_script" directory. Inside is a modified version of the remaster script from pcPuppyOS that should work in Puppy 4.00. Back up /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 and replace it with this version. I also included an "old_versions" directory which has the remaster scripts from 3.01, pcPuppyOS, and 4.00. Just in case somebody wants to compare them with tkdiff or xfdiff, or loses their original copy.
Attachments
remaster_script.tar.gz
This is a modified version of the remaster script from pcPuppyOS that should work in Puppy 4.00.
(10.09 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

KF6SNJ

#59 Post by KF6SNJ »

PCPuppyOS didn't work so well for me. It worked fine from the CD, however, when I installed it that is when problems hit. First boot up after installing xvesa works fine. After that, I don't get x at all. I've tried running xorgwizard for both xorg and xvesa to no avail. I think I may try another puppy.

Pizzasgood

#60 Post by Pizzasgood »

Did you try startx? If that doesn't work, you can then check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if it has any relevant error messages.

That only applies to Xorg though. I don't know where Xvesa stores its error log.

By the way, RC5 is two versions out of date. The final version is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28426
I don't know if you knew that already and just posted here or not, so I figured I'd make sure. I doubt there is any difference that would affect this particular problem though.